NEW SHOWS - PRESALE IDEA - (OF COURSE THIS WON'T HAPPEN)

krisvott

• Subscriber

Remember back in the days of U2-360 when there were three (3) levels of pre-sale ticket selling. One for those who had their accounts for a while, one for those who had their account before the tour was announced, and those you got their membership after the tour was announced.

Well, that would probably be a good idea because I'm sure there hundred of scalpers getting new imaginary U2.com accounts to get the pre-sale passwords, using there fake mailing addresses and temp CC's to get tickets who will be all be on the same level as us on Thursday as the fans who got shut out of GA tickets with out U215B codes...

• Subscriber

Actually that is happening, kind of. People who were subscribers before September 9, 2014 are eligible to enter the first round of presale, whereas those who subscribed after will not be able to get presale tix until 24 hours afterward.

• Subscriber

Actually that is happening, kind of. People who were subscribers before September 9, 2014 are eligible to enter the first round of presale, whereas those who subscribed after will not be able to get presale tix until 24 hours afterward.

Jon,

This is not what I meant. Three groups.

1. People who joined on/or before 9/9/2014.

2. People who joined after 9/9/2014, but before the tour announcement.

3. People who joined after the tour announcement to simply get in the pre-sales and probably sell their tickets on StubHub.

So, now anyone in Group 2, is lumped in with Group 3 and must fight their way against the scalpers.....

• Subscriber

I get what you are saying and totally agree.  That said, the whole idea of the presale is another opportunity to get people to buy a u2.com subscription bundle so the more valuable they make it (especially to new members), the better.  Almost every major artist does the same thing now; really it's another revenue raiser for the artist. 

I think U2 and their management genuinely hope that all of those last minute subscriptions are by real fans who maybe were not following the band as closely as before (with u2 putting out albums only every 4-5 years or so, that might be a lot of people!).  Those new fanclub members may stay tuned in now and may even be more inclined to purchase additional merchandise etc. over time.   However, even if the new subscribers are scalpers, their subscriptions still bring additional revenue to the artist (say over someone who does not subscribe but still buys tickets).

So not to be cynical, but there is a tangible monetary benefit to the artist in making the new subscriptions more valuable