Which hotel?

kwaite

• Subscriber

I'll likely be driving in from CLE (although if a great flight opens up I may snag it). Friend is coming in from MN. Any thoughts for hotels?

Embassy Suites has been mentioned. Any others? We want to reserve room soon but aren't sure where to look.

If we both fly in easy to get taxi back? (I figure there will not be hard).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Getting a taxi after the show will be a pain.  You may want to consider Uber.  As far as hotels, i like Embassy Suites on State St in downtown Chicago.  There are some hotels near Ohare too, and in the town of Rosemont which isn't too far from The United Center.

• Subscriber

Getting a taxi after the show will be a pain.  You may want to consider Uber.  As far as hotels, i like Embassy Suites on State St in downtown Chicago.  There are some hotels near Ohare too, and in the town of Rosemont which isn't too far from The United Center.

if you can't book uber before the show, I'd be very careful using them at that time.  There are several cases where after a sporting event or concert, the prices go up a lot and a 20 min ride could cost you $500. Always make sure you ask for a quote from the app in situations like this before being taken for a ride.

• Subscriber

Finding a cab after a show is hard. Taking the bus is easy. There's a whole line of them parked in front of the arena after the show that will leave as soon as they fill up. They go into the Loop and you can transfer to the subway or other bus lines from there.

If you're driving to the city and looking for a hotel downtown, you might want to check how much overnight parking is because it can be expensive. 

• Subscriber

Getting a cab is a pain, there will be very entrepreneurial sketchy types frantically trying to get you to run with them about a 1/2 to 1 mile down the street past Malcolm X college to the highway ramp where they will use their beat up orange flags to wave down the next cab.  They then harass you for a tip as they open cab door for you.  It's that congested and almost impossible to get a cab right outside the UC, you won't get a cab for a long time unless you use crackhead cab finders.  If you are there with your wife or girlfriend it will freak them out. Not a nice area around United Center.  I will either drive my car from the hotel and park, or most likely have the hotel concierge set me up with a limo to and from the show.  It's that bad....

• Subscriber

Wow! Its that bad? It will be me (mom) and my teen daughter. We  are flying in for the show. Can you give hotel suggestions…..not pricey, just safe & good area. What do you think about Embassy Suites on State? Company to set up a car service?

Getting a cab is a pain, there will be very entrepreneurial sketchy types frantically trying to get you to run with them about a 1/2 to 1 mile down the street past Malcolm X college to the highway ramp where they will use their beat up orange flags to wave down the next cab.  They then harass you for a tip as they open cab door for you.  It's that congested and almost impossible to get a cab right outside the UC, you won't get a cab for a long time unless you use crackhead cab finders.  If you are there with your wife or girlfriend it will freak them out. Not a nice area around United Center.  I will either drive my car from the hotel and park, or most likely have the hotel concierge set me up with a limo to and from the show.  It's that bad....

• Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking that may be the case with taxi after (would be here in CLE and in DET, where I grew up).  I think I'll likely drive in then,  I don't mind driving and routinely go north of Detroit (where family are and I grew up) so the drive shouldn't be too bad (except maybe once in Chi town!!). Now to figure out a hotel. 

• Subscriber

Y'all, Chicago is just like any other big city. You just have to be aware of your surroundings. The United Center is on a bus route and quite honestly, cabs cost a first born and Chicago drivers are crazy. Maybe since I live here, I'm just used to it. By choice I do not have a car so I depend on public transportation. 

It's really not as bad as everyone says it is. 

• Subscriber

Take a cab from your hotel to the concert.  The moment you leave the United Center, you will see huge accordian buses that will cost you maybe $2 that will take you downtown or to North Michigan Avenue.  From there you can take a cab more easily if you need to.  I did this after a Linkin Park concert, I was with my then 12 year old son, and it was easy and safe. I booked Homewood Suites by Hilton on Huron Street off the Magnificent Mile.  I suggest you get on Expedia or a similar site and book now if you can, but try to get a reservation you can cancel in case you find a better rate.  I went on Expedia the morning of the first presale and things were selling out AND what was left was climbing in price by the second.  The hotels are as bad as Ticketmaster.  Might be easier for the third and fourth shows.