Which hotel?

kwaite

• Subscriber

I have bad memories of the after concert mess opening night of 360 in Chicago. They closed all of these gates that are usually open and tried to funnel approximately 60,000 people down a sidewalk and through a narrow opening. We stood for ten minutes in place more than once trying to get out. It got so bad people were climbing fences and hopping onto Lake Shore Dr!   Taxi? haha Train? haha Bus? Nope. Just too many people all wandering around looking for transportation. We even thought about ducking into a bar for a drink while the crowd subsided....apparently everyone else had the same thought! We walked from Soldier to about the river before we found a spot for a drink!

This is not going to happen at United Center but that night at the 360 show taught us to be a little more self reliant.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

These guys are right taxis don't exist at the UC after a show. Cab there, and Bus back (its 2 bux, saw KOL there in march) the bus ride is slow, but safe. Where ever you decide to exit the bus back downtown, you should be plenty safe enough. Checking with your concierge or bellhop at the hotel about getting back before leaving is a decent idea as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I am staying at the newly renovated (by my company) AC Hotel on Rush Street.

Plan on taking a cab to value and using Uber to head back to Rush Street after for some drinking.   It is too early to post about get togethers yet but I will as we get closer and hopefully meet some new friends

Edited by Centurion

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

I live 2 blocks from the UC.  It's definitely a changing neighborhood, but if you've spent time in other major cities, you will be fine. It's like any other city in that you should always be aware of your surroundings, but my best advice would be to take the bus.  You can be downtown in minutes after the show.  They line up outside and then fill up to the max one at a time and depart.  Uber surcharges will be high and cabs are not plentiful.  Have fun!

• Subscriber

Ditto all advice about taking the bus out of UC.  They have seemingly a whole fleet of them loading and departing constantly.  They've been doing it after Bulls and Blackhawks games and other concerts for years, so they have it down to a science.  Actually, the time it takes to evacuate UC is surprisingly fast compared to other cities we've been to.  Take a bus to the loop, and hook up with other transport there.  It's never been a problem for us in terms of safety.  Another side note, U2 fans in Chicago always seem to be even more courteous than in other cities.  Chicago is fun town to see the band.

• 3 weeks later...