• Subscriber

CONFIRMED: NO OPENING ACT FOR INNOCENCE + EXPERIENCE TOUR

@U2, May 11, 2015
By: Karen Lindell

Live Nation has confirmed that U2 will not have an opening act for the Innocence + Experience tour. It will be "an evening with U2" and only U2

While there have been scattered shows over the years without an opening act, it’s the first major U2 tour (arenas or larger) ever without an opening act.

The last time they did anything like this was the end of the War tour. The Hawaii show had Oingo Boingo, but there were no openers for any of the others. The Japan shows were in small venues, however, not major arenas.

So plan to be there on time — no opening-act cushion!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

NO support bands !? - That evoces mixed feelings in me for the beginning. The hope for a good opening band (see Noel Gallagher, James, etc.) is gone, the "U2 only" announcement rises cautious anticipation, because:

I have seen U2 opening acts always as a part of the event, after all, it was usually a well-known, quality "support act" of value, which covered perhaps 10-20% of the experience (and value).

So the expectations towards U2 have grown in terms of quality (and length!) of the show, a circumstance which the band is surely aware of and they - quite contrary to my expectations (age, injuries, ...) - seem to want to live up to these risen expectations.

• Subscriber

Ahh well. I always enjoy turning up early for the supports because it's good to discover new things. When I went to see Queens of the Stone, they had Band of Skulls performing, and I caught the last three songs of their set and became a fan through that!