• Subscriber

...could get away with staging a "tour" that many fans will have to be the ones travelling to see a show.  It's really too bad that more cities were not included.  It gives the impression that its all about the money and maximizing profits- only going after the large markets that can guarantee large amounts of ticket sales, being resident in one city for multiple dates and minimizing travel.  Quite the opposite of what the band had to do in the earlier years to build up their fanbase. 

• Subscriber

Some would say that's a brave statement to open a topic, others would say it's right on the money - excuse the pun. 

I'm not sure I fully agree with your viewpoint but, then again, I think there's a lot more the band (that cares passionately about it's fans) could do. Personally I feel the communication for this tour has been poor and there's no excuse for that. The ticket sales are still causing some people issues and there's been no mention of the Dublin / Irish shows that some, like me, have held back from using pre-sales codes in order to (hopefully) buy. 

I heard one of the band members talk about 'residency' shows for some venues; well 4 shows in one location isn't a residency. If you look on these boards alone you will see questions about further shows, no pre-sale codes, stage set up, the difference between nights 1 and 2 which, (in my opinion) only serves to cause more hype for fans thinking these shows are two-part gigs, the numbers of tickets available.. By their own admission the band says U2 fans have had to endure a lot over the years and that endurance seems to show no signs of slowing down soon. 

• Subscriber

The once, well oiled machine of U2 is showing some wear.  I don't know if its the new management, simple bad fortune (Bono's spill, Apple release) or just older-age, but nothing seems to be on auto-pilot like in the past....This is still gonna be a successful and enjoyable tour however, the times, they are a changing.  I also think they'll make the rounds out to the middle markets before all is said and done, giving folks an opportunity to see them closer to home.  I hope anyway.     

• Subscriber

Only U2

...could get away with staging a "tour" that many fans will have to be the ones travelling to see a show.

No, it's not just U2. Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Madonna, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, The Who, Paul Macartney, Foo Fighters are just a few other musicians who can get away with "tours" for their "fans" where people have to travel to see them. Heck, if I want to see any of these, I have to travel to another country....

But sure, lets shit on U2 for not visiting any possible city and country.

• Subscriber

Only U2

...could get away with staging a "tour" that many fans will have to be the ones travelling to see a show.

No, it's not just U2. Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Madonna, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, The Who, Paul Macartney, Foo Fighters are just a few other musicians who can get away with "tours" for their "fans" where people have to travel to see them. Heck, if I want to see any of these, I have to travel to another country....

But sure, lets shit on U2 for not visiting any possible city and country.

I agree, even in the UK all the big acts play London and fans have to travel, rarely do they do a full UK tour. Its only UK bands that are big here that do that. As soon as they go global it completely changes. Maybe the stadium tour in 2016 they may play a few other cities

• Subscriber

Boston, NY and Chicago have always been huge for U2. I've seen them in TX, LA, and FL and those shows just don't compare to the big "3". Well at least in the US anyway. Dublin 360 was still my favorite.

And let's not forget this is the same band that premiered an album in KMart, didn't even play a song from the album at the premiere and would later play inside a lemon (which was awesome). That was a few years before the Apple issue :) And can I just say to the folks who don't like a free album showing up in their iTunes, um you checked off "i agree" when you downloaded iTunes. Deal with it!

Edited by Nawlins

• Subscriber

Boston, NY and Chicago have always been huge for U2. I've seen them in TX, LA, and FL and those shows just don't compare to the big "3". Well at least in the US anyway. Dublin 360 was still my favorite.

And let's not forget this is the same band that premiered an album in KMart, didn't even play a song from the album at the premiere and would later play inside a lemon (which was awesome). That was a few years before the Apple issue :) And can I just say to the folks who don't like a free album showing up in their iTunes, um you checked off "i agree" when you downloaded iTunes. Deal with it!

Yup!

• Subscriber

The UK isn't so bad for example when big bands play just London, Glasgow and Cardiff the vast majority are never more then 3 hours travelling away, In my opinion thats not bad. I live in the North of England and have to travel to EVERY show for every band I see but its not too bad.

It works the other way too because big bands (even the most popular) would struggle to comfortably sell very ticket if they played every key city in the UK plus the tour would be going on forever and most importantly...they risk overkill. 

• Subscriber

My first U2 concert was the Unforgettable Fire Tour at the Spectrum in Philly.

I haven't missed any until now.

The only possible show that would have worked for me was the MSG Saturday show.

The only presale tickets available to me were $312 in the upper level.

Needless to say U2 has rubbed me the wrong way.

• Subscriber

Yup!

Yup! Yup!