Do I love U2 more than I hate Ticketmaster?

U2TUF

• Subscriber

Hi Discman, the thread is still showing up in the NY area for me... but I'm far from a forum tech wizard, I have no explaination!

For ticketing issues, fortunately I was pretty lucky, but this is what I remember the issues being this time:

- U2.com fan club seniority was not respected the way it was in years past.  For previous tours, they had several tiers of fanclub membership.  First tier was people who had been subscribing since Propaganda Magazine, and on past tours they got first chance at tickets.  Second tier was people who had been members of U2.com prior to the announcement of the tour, but not Propanda members (so, from 2005 or later).  Third tier was people who joined U2.com after the announcement of a tour.  For this most recent tour, they eliminated the Propaganda tier and just divided it into two groups: "people who had a membership before Songs Of Innocence came out" (which they called "Experience") and "people who had tickets after the album came out" (which they called "Innocence").  This means that the people had been members of the fanclub the longest (for example, in my case, almost 20 years) lost a lot of seniority in buying tickets with no warning.

- Ticketmaster and venue seating charts provided during presale access and first days of ticket onsales were not accurate.  The stage layout misrepresented where the Red Zone was located.  The seating chart also failed to distinguish where the main stage and e stage were located and which was which.  The seating chart did not properly identify which tickets had rear or side views, or partial or obstructed views.

- Because of the inaccurate seating chart, people who bought tickets that were obstructed view, rear view, side view and partial view were not informed of these obstructions when they were offered the tickets for sale on Ticketmaster.  However, when the tickets arrived later, or when checking their purchase status after the purchase had already been made, they were then informed that the tickets they purchased were in some way obstructed view/rear view/side view/partial view.

I think those are the biggest complaints regarding ticketing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I have the same problem with switched seating for the July 2nd concert in Chicago.  I continue to call back and complain to Ticketmaster.  Toninght (July 29th) I was told that the Promoter is denying that there was any inaccurate seating maps and switch of seating after purchase.  This is a situation I have not encountered in 40+ years of conceert going.  Ticketmaster is trying to pass the buck to the promoter, and the promoter is denying any situation exists.  Both are hoping they can brush it under the rug and move on.  It is a huge issue and no one wants to stand up and take responsibility!  The attitude seems to be ... deny... deny... deny and play the waiting game until we all give up.  STAND UP FOLKS AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!  Bombard their 800 number, slow sales and let them know you are not going to accept a poor excuse and flat out lie by the promoter.  

• Subscriber

So much to say here, but I'll try to keep it short.  Longtime fanclub member, primarily for the access to the presale tickets.  Belong to other fanclubs at similar prices for some artists who practically never tour (Sting, for example), therefore providing no ticketing advantage, so I have no problem with the fanclub fee.

As for tickets to the NYC shows, I used my presale code and snagged two GA's for night one.  Yes, it took some work at the onsale time, but I managed it.  As a side note, I live in Nashville, so since the band wasn't coming anywhere near me on this first U.S. leg I had to choose a Saturday night show and make the trek.  So any savings I gained by getting GA (lower priced) tickets was easily eaten up by travel and lodging costs, etc.  But it was a great NYC weekend.  (and no, I'm not complaining about the travel costs, as I know there are folks who travel a LOT further at a lot more cost in order to catch shows)

As for Ticketmaster and the resale thing, as others have mentioned, they are merely providing the same service the Ebay, StubHub, or other similar sites are providing - a ticket holder to ticket purchaser internet portal to conduct a free market price transaction,  In New York, state law not only permits these transactions but I think it also pretty much says they HAVE to be permitted.  Thus the "hard tickets" for GA for the NYC shows (which permitted fairly easy resale, while the credit card entry procedures they were using at most of the other venues in the U.S. for GA were NOT applicable to this show).

There were plenty of tickets sold to the general public for all of the NYC shows.  As a matter of fact, in my particular case I purchased 4 extras for the July 26th show (initially for a friend, who then decided he didn't have use for them, so I had to resell them).  I got these at the initial public onsale.  They weren't the greatest seats (section 214, row 3), but I'd gotten them based on price ($118 each, with the service fees) and when my friend decided he didn't want them I immediately started an effort to resell them - AT COST - here on this forum.  I believe that was in February, but I'm too lazy to go back and check my initial post date to confirm.  The point is that it was MONTHS before the concert.  All those many months went by and there were still "original price, not resale" tickets available for several of the NYC shows late in the run on Ticketmaster.  Yeah, most of those were the $300 seats, but the point is the shows were not sold out.  So no one bought my tickets directly through me.  I tried StubHub for several weeks (with a marked up price, of course, to cover the StubHub fees but still net breakeven for myself) during that run without success.  And finally I sold them through Ticketmaster, about a week before the run of shows at the Garden began.  Yeah, my buyer (however he or she was) paid something like $155 per ticket because of the additional fees and I netted $119 each, just covering my initial cost.  But that buyer got "guaranteed" seats and had the choice to buy the tickets or not.  Nobody forced that purchase.  Do I feel screwed because TM profited from the sale and I didn't?  No, not really.  It was my choice to sell the tickets that way.  And I certainly tried to sell them on here at original cost.

Sure, resale prices NOW are insane, as demand has gone through the roof once the NYC shows started and word of mouth was spreading how amazing these shows are.  But it's always a "supply and demand" situation.  There are some shows where the market dictates resale prices BELOW face value on the major resale sites (if you don't believe me check out an Imagine Dragons show in a smaller market on StubHub near show date sometime).  But my point is that tickets for some of these NYC shows were readily available at original pricing for weeks, if not months, without a fanclub membership, through Ticketmaster.  They aren't the "evil empire" that some claim they are.  As for the resale prices now, they aren't setting them.  The sellers are.  And they're basically pricing things absurdly high because of their own greed and what the market is indicating they can sell them for.

One more thing, if I may - both Ebay and StubHub (who have the same ownership anyway) also charge a % commission on resale tickets handled through their sites.  So Ticketmaster is no different in that regard.

As for the whole "seating chart is different than actual setup" fiasco, I'd blame that one pretty much on the band's management and Live Nation as the promoter/producer of the tour.  They're the ones who decided to put tickets on sale so many months in advance that no one really knew what the production setup was going to really look like.  Ticketmaster only went with what they had those many months ago.  That blame is not theirs.  But yeah, it sucks.  Good luck reaching someone who actually had and/or has anything to do with that.  Because the customer service reps at TM are powerless in that regard.  Funny thing is - Live Nation owns Ticketmaster now.  But obviously they are still being operated as two separate companies when it comes to any decent communication!

Disclaimer - I do not work for either Ticketmaster or Live Nation, nor have I ever.  I have dabbled in concert promotion a bit over the last 40 years, so I do know a little about how the business works.

Obviously I failed at the "keep it short" goal.  Oh well!

• Subscriber

TM resale is ridiculous. Scalpers will eat the $50 fee for presale knowing they'll make that money back 4 times over. In my opinion resale should only be allowed at a set price...the face value of the ticket. 

• Subscriber

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere else, but after attending last night's show at MSG I don't understand why they didn't put more floor tickets on sale? They could have easily fit more people

• Subscriber

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere else, but after attending last night's show at MSG I don't understand why they didn't put more floor tickets on sale? They could have easily fit more people

Fire code determines floor capacity.  Where were you standing?  I attended the first night and the floor was pretty packed.  Not uncomfortably so, but there wasn't any extra space to roam around.

• Subscriber

Clearly I love U2 more than I hate TM, because I just bit the bullet (the blue sky) and bought a resale at over 5x FV. Hated doing it but I know it'll be worth every penny tonight!

• Subscriber

I actually came to realize that I do love U2 more than I hate ticketmaster.  Unfortunately, my mom passed away in early June.  I have spent many hours listening to U2 with her over the 30+ years that I have been a fan.  I was not mentally ready to see U2 in concert this time around so I gave my tickets as a gift to my cousin and her husband.  I hope to see the boys when they return to NY - even if TM is still operating the same way. Karma moves in mysterious ways ;)

• Subscriber

@U2TUF, Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully listening to SoI helps you get through this sad time. And you'll be ready for the band's next tour... hopefully not too far off. Peace.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I bought tickets through Ticketmaster for $500 each, and I assuming that was the face value because they were advertised as being directly from the venue and not a resell. I could be mistaken about the face value because I do not know much and do not buy tickets often, but I am sure they were directly from MSG. Either way, I feel that is a high price to pay, though it's not quite high enough to deter me from seeing my favorite band on the occasion they come around near my location. And this was not GA - my group was sitting in a 100 level section, mid-arena but one section closer to the main stage, in row 16, not any kind of VIP area or anything special. It was a great view for a great show to be sure, better than I expected, but off the top of my head I would not have rated it a $500 seat.

As for resell tickets, I wish Ticketmaster and Live Nation would impose regulations on the percent past face value the tickets can be sold at. I was checking prices for the last show (I was at the seventh) to see if I could get a second night in, but anything like the seat I was in before was way more and I couldn't justify it. And many GA and Red Zone tickets were in the thousands, though others were a few hundred, more reasonable.

I really hope that us fans can build momentum on this issue and get it to a level worth noticing to the band.

Archived