waiting for Dublin arrrgggghhhh

• Subscriber

This waiting for the Dublin gigs is doin me head in, it's bad enough stressing about getting tickets, but the wait is killing me, throw me a bone Bono, A sniff of a date, a month even, a venue even, something anything to keep me sane, Christmas ? what christmas ?

• Subscriber

Its a tricky one Dublin. Its such a popular venue for obvious reasons demand not just in Ireland but from round the world means it might take some planning given that the indoor venues there are small and the demand huge.

• Subscriber

Yep it feels like a long wait! I'm waiting too, hanging on to my unused presale code.

Its a tricky one Dublin. Its such a popular venue for obvious reasons demand not just in Ireland but from round the world means it might take some planning given that the indoor venues there are small and the demand huge.

I agree, we have basically no suitable venues in Ireland for a band the size of U2. Croke Park is the biggest in the country, I think, but it's residential location means that it's becoming near impossible to play there. Even if you succeed in getting a licence to play, there's a chance of a residents' protest, as happened on 360. I agree with the residents though... it isn't fair that they have to deal with huge gigs and GAA matches all the time. But it means we are very limited venue wise.

They'll probably play the 3 Arena in 2015 and TRY to get into Croke Park for 2016. They'll probably have more success than Garth Brooks did in doing that since they actually know how the arrangement works, unlike Brooks' management.

I agree with everyone, I reckon it will be announced in January.

• Subscriber

The band have hinted it will be late in the year (Nov/Dec) - so it will not be outdoors. I expect a four night residency in the O2 in Dublin. I hope for a one night indoor gig at the Odyssey in Belfast also,but that is a 'wish' only - 18 years is a long time for them not to have played there.

I don't expect U2 to play Croke Park ever again due to the resident issues. Similar problems exist with regards to the Aviva stadium in Dublin with residents in that area - but residents just seem to kick up when it's U2 - in fairness though, it is massive disruption to them which all us 'blow-ins' wouldn't truly understand - though it could be argued more is made out of it than really should be, in my opinion.

If they are to go outdoor in Ireland again perhaps Phoenix Park or Slane might be an option?

That said, if they go indoor late next year in Ireland I would not realistically expect them to follow that up with outdoor gigs the following year - that's real wishful thinking - the band are global and if they do tour 2016, it's anyone's guess as to which part of the world that would be in.

Anyhow - still got my presale code for whenever and wherever!

• Subscriber

News posted on Dec. 3 says "Special shows are being planned for Dublin for the end of next year." I am wondering November is also "end of year"? I thought end of year is generally late December or after Christmas.  

• Subscriber

http://www.atu2.com/news/irish-concert-promoter-says-u2-in-talks-to-play-croke-park-in-2016.html

Still think it likely U2 will be in Croke Park summer of 2016, perhaps they will tie the announcement of the indoor gigs next year with the "sweetner" of outdoor gigs for those who did not get tickets. 

Likely indoor gig will be in the Point, which will be very tight enough with 14k capacity. Perhaps 6 or 8 night might cover a fair bit of demand, altough would worry about ticket prices.