Tips from the eXPERIENCED GA-ers

dohboy

• Subscriber

I've been to a least one show every tour since ZOO TV indoor at the LA Sports Arena.

This will be my first GA show on Sat May 30, 2015, at the Forum.

Yes, I'm a GA virgin.

I'd like some insight from the eXPERIENCED GA populace.

Some tips to have the best U2 concert experience in the general admission area.

Line up, Entry, Comfort, whatever .....

Something you wished you had, did not have, had done, or had not done when in GA. .

Thanx in advance for your time to respond

dohboy

• Subscriber

I've been to a least one show every tour since ZOO TV indoor at the LA Sports Arena.

This will be my first GA show on Sat May 30, 2015, at the Forum.

Yes, I'm a GA virgin.

I'd like some insight from the eXPERIENCED GA populace.

Some tips to have the best U2 concert experience in the general admission area.

Line up, Entry, Comfort, whatever .....

Something you wished you had, did not have, had done, or had not done when in GA. .

Thanx in advance for your time to respond

dohboy

I'm right there with you dohboy...How does one survive GA?

• Subscriber

Ive done GA for 9 shows and some tips that come up off the top of my head....

Go to a dollar store and grab a raincoat or grab two and make a friend(glorified garbage bag.  also an umbrella is a great idea...

Get there as early as possible its a great environment to hang out in.

Make friends with the people around you in line this will come in handy for potty/food runs

Try to wear light clothing if it becomes wet it will try quicker.

I usually tried to eat a bite for breakfast a big lunch and maybe a snack just before we were let in

Scout out the stage set up and check the boards for the spot you want to run to...

Have your credit card and ID handy...

Don't bring a purse/fannypack and have as little in your pocket to avoid being searched

Get a reservation at a semi crappy hotel close to the venue as its a pretty long day...

Sunscreen and a hat...

Be aware of people trying to jump the line about an hour to two hours before your let in

Watch for tour staff, Ive gotten copies of the setlist and a pick from Dallas...

After the first show when images and feedback come out it will be easier to figure out what spot to run to....last arena tour most people wanted to be inside the bomb shelter/heart/circle but the state was about 10 feet tall...For me I enjoyed being on the rail on the outside in the middle of the circle...which brings up another point...if you can get a spot on the rail its a lot more comfortable...gives you a place to rest your arms and you can grab the rail and people are usually pretty respectful...

After you are let in run, run, run like the wind to the spot you want....once there try to sit down...

• Subscriber

Good lot of info there from Ipingb. Also if you can get a cheap camp chair, it makes sitting for hours more bearable.. If your hotel is close you can take it back. They usually give you warning time to get yourself sorted.. Good to check out the venue a day or so before as last tour US show, some line lists were started a couple of days before.. You put your name down and come back for set check in times... Something I'd never come across here in Oz.. We just line up super early in the morning. U2 fans that line up early are a great bunch of people. Look out for each other and our positions in line... It's a fun day!

Edited by sal71

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Watch or carry your stuff "A L W A Y S like wallets, small cameras and your tickets, Last time in the 360° Rose Bowl show in LA 30 minutes before people doing the GA line for entrance and security advice to return your things to your car, a group of 50 people started running what happened everyone run to line and leave their stuff there like chairs, coolers, etc was a stampede anyone else can remember that day ? anything could happen just my 2 cents.

Edited by Victor Noe

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Good lot of info there from Ipingb. Also if you can get a cheap camp chair, it makes sitting for hours more bearable.. If your hotel is close you can take it back. They usually give you warning time to get yourself sorted.. Good to check out the venue a day or so before as last tour US show, some line lists were started a couple of days before.. You put your name down and come back for set check in times... Something I'd never come across here in Oz.. We just line up super early in the morning. U2 fans that line up early are a great bunch of people. Look out for each other and our positions in line... It's a fun day!

I'm hoping GA lines here in the States on this tour are 'first come, first served'. Do your time in line, you go in first, leave once in a while for short periods to eat, go to the bathroom, freshen up, etc. Whatever the venue GA policy is should be the line policy, IMO. No starting lists days ahead and checking in once in a while. I guess we'll see in 3 months or so how it goes on this tour.

Hopefully all of you GA 'virgins' enjoy yourselves at your respective shows.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

For what its worth, here is what we brought during the 360 shows: small beach chairs (drug-store cheapies), cheap folding umbrellas that clamp on the chairs (if its warm and sunny you'll be glad you have them), blanket and small inflatable camping pillows to lay on and take a nap, stadium seat cushions because sitting on concrete all day is a bummer, iPod/phone/mp3 player loaded with U2 songs of course, small soft sided cooler with sandwiches we bought the night before (dont forget the ice packs), snacks/drinks, gallon jug of water, sunscreen, hat, compact camera, I think thats about it.    Two of us were easily able to carry it all.  This time I'm also bringing a small cell phone charger to make sure the phone stays charged all day in line and to the end of the show. 

We ended up paying the $20 parking fee to have our car close by so we could put all the stuff back in the car a couple hours before the gates opened.  Once you have your place in line, leaving for short periods to use the restroom, get food, etc. usually isnt a problem.  Just in case though, bring stuff that you dont care about losing (the chairs, blanket, etc), because at the Rose Bowl as Victor Noe mentioned, the stampede meant we had to leave all our stuff behind except the valuable stuff (camera, wallet, phone) we had on us!