• Subscriber

Doubtful, I'd think.  They've already put too much emphasis, etc. on the "pair" concept, and many fans have planned on that, etc.  Rather, they'll likely stay w/the pair thing until a final (single) show (where applicable); in this situation, the last show might be some amalgam of the pair setlist (?).

Edited by mike7man

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Since it is only occurring in cities where they are playing multiple shows, it doesn't seem to be an issue. They can just play either setlist or a combined one. I mean, even if they played the traditional night 1 setlist on a one-off show, it's not like it's a play with a cliffhanger, and everyone is going to be left wondering what happened... they are still self-contained rock concerts.

• Subscriber

I must say though this topic, and other threads like it, does beg the question why the arrangements for this tour have not been better communicated. There is confusion as to the difference between odd and even shows which I think is a little unfair on the ticket buying audience. Of course nobody would want to negate the element of surprise but a little more clarity might be appropriate. 

• Subscriber

Still possible yet to have another London show, although i'm happy with 5

Is your wallet curled up in a corner crying somewhere now? 

You could just not go (OH NO SHE DIDN'T!) if they announce a 6th, or can you not help yourself :P

• Subscriber

I must say though this topic, and other threads like it, does beg the question why the arrangements for this tour have not been better communicated.

It's not that confusing, since it only affects two(?) standalone dates on the whole tour in cities with multiple shows already. If they started doing single nights in random cities, that might confuse people. But people very interested in catching both nights in NYC already have three paired shows, and now this one standalone. So, if you mix and match and night 1s with any night 2s from the first three, safe to say you'll get both shows. And the show on the 30th is rumored to be potentially paired with an as yet announced show on the 31st, which would sync it up with the others anyway.

Some bands, like Pearl Jam, just make up a setlist every night, and if you like a handful of songs, they might do all of those on night 1, and then all deep cuts and non-singles on night 2, and then you get people who wish they were at the opposite show or some such. So, dividing them up into a two-show thing is already more of a sense of clarity than you get from a lot of bands.

• Subscriber

I must say though this topic, and other threads like it, does beg the question why the arrangements for this tour have not been better communicated.

It's not that confusing, since it only affects two(?) standalone dates on the whole tour in cities with multiple shows already. If they started doing single nights in random cities, that might confuse people. But people very interested in catching both nights in NYC already have three paired shows, and now this one standalone. So, if you mix and match and night 1s with any night 2s from the first three, safe to say you'll get both shows. And the show on the 30th is rumored to be potentially paired with an as yet announced show on the 31st, which would sync it up with the others anyway.

Some bands, like Pearl Jam, just make up a setlist every night, and if you like a handful of songs, they might do all of those on night 1, and then all deep cuts and non-singles on night 2, and then you get people who wish they were at the opposite show or some such. So, dividing them up into a two-show thing is already more of a sense of clarity than you get from a lot of bands.

Who said anything about confusing? Instead of trying to defend the band at every turn, look instead at the many threads (many of which you respond to, so you know the ones I'm talking about) where people still have no clue the difference between night 1 and night 2. Yes the band have hinted at what they might do but the rest is just rumour or conjecture - what people on here think U2 might do, even posting set lists (!!!) but nobody really knows what tickets they've bought and (other than the band performing live) what they can expect to see. There have also been posts where tickets at the same venues have gone on sale much cheaper than originally offered and you start to get the impression that the communication on this tour isn't what it has been for other tours. 

In fact when you think back to 360 and Vertigo tours we even knew who the support act was for each concert - before we bought the tickets; this time we don't even know which U2 will turn up on which night!!! 

I don't think the band have deliberately set out to mislead but I do think the lack of communication has given way to questions being asked of them about what's going on.

My own personal view is that the band didn't have to say a thing - people will have bought tickets anyway. The initial talk was of 'residency' shows, with the band staying as long as they could sell tickets for. Clearly they have since come up with another format so I don't think it would do any harm to let people know what that's going to be. That way fans who cannot afford to buy tickets for multiple venues - and I saw some posting this before Christmas - can choose which U2 they would prefer to see. 

It's called clarity Jeff - it's not that confusing!  ;)