I can't stop loving Fez-Being Born and NLOTH! Can you?

lionwehr240579

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I just can't review it song by song....The album is too solid !!! But I must say that Cedars of Lebanon is a wonderful progression of "Against the Sky" by ENO and Budd..It's wonderful to see the sounds from the 1984 song are even more intense now and furthermore perfectly completed by U2 !!! Bono's lyrics and vocal interpretation...some of the best of his career, so soothing and relaxing...Edge's touch is essential as always.."return the call to home" and his guitar which paints the desert with its caravans and Arabian cities full of palms - in my mind...the bass-man....is crazy and flows on the notes of Harold Budd's pedal effects completing the image ...And the heaviness of Larry's signature, rough but gentle drums !!!

What can I say....It's U2 at their best...Working with ENO on an experimental song...Painting landscapes and places...Because even though the lyrics express an unjust and tragic reality (what would you expect from life), U2 makes me think of the beauty of those African places...This is just my personal view....I'm a sound-person...Meaning I don't care what Bono sings as long as the way he sings makes me feel good and most important if the music is other-worldly, it starts from the music actually....It just so-happens that on this album everything is great - sonically and lyrically - and I can relate to it  and it challenges me to imagine new stuff...  To squeeze the darkness-fruits until light-juice pours out....Also teaches me that it's ok to fall to the darkness from time to time...we weren't meant to be perfect and even God knows that and expects us to make mistakes....

Edited by pain_18_

• Subscriber

"Now I've got a head like a lit cigarette..Unholy cloud reflected in a minaret .." - I always imagine cities (or diverse natural landscapes) at night and somewhere a  huge  mountain on fire with rivers of smoke emerging from it like the tip of a cigarette being smoked with thirst by an unseen person (maybe Bono himself) ....and then JUST a mosque and its minarets sheltered by summer-clouds (not clouds from air-striking and bombing)...My brain takes the negatives out of the song and only leaves the landscapes, the tender stuff..the ideal stuff...'Cause that's what I need...my brain's got enough negativity of its own ...

• Subscriber

I have mixed feelings about NLOTH. Of course the music is ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME, especially Moment, Cedars, Crazy, Fez, No Line, Snow, Breathe and Unknown Caller. BUT when I listen to it too much, like this last few weeks when I've been listening to it morning and afternoon while commuting, I get a bit down. It was actually a relief yesterday to listen to ATYCLB - it seemed so light in comparison to NLOTH! So of course logically I realise I should only listen to it in small doses but I can't help myself, I just keep listening to it anyway...

• Subscriber

I have mixed feelings about NLOTH. Of course the music is ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME, especially Moment, Cedars, Crazy, Fez, No Line, Snow, Breathe and Unknown Caller. BUT when I listen to it too much, like this last few weeks when I've been listening to it morning and afternoon while commuting, I get a bit down. It was actually a relief yesterday to listen to ATYCLB - it seemed so light in comparison to NLOTH! So of course logically I realise I should only listen to it in small doses but I can't help myself, I just keep listening to it anyway...

"I just keep listening to it anyway" ==> you've said it all ;) But I agree, there's some down feeling that sets in each time.

• Subscriber

Yeah, I guess just keep listening (coz I LOVE it) and, like Pain said:

" squeeze the darkness-fruits until light-juice pours out"

or like Bono sings:

"shouting to the darkness, squeeze out sparks of light".

Edited by kastee

• Subscriber

In turn...I get a down-feeling when I listen to ATYCLB, Bomb and SOI....

I guess the best thing is to accept the darkness if you can't defeat it, state it in your mind...assess it and then express it.... (TUF, TJT, R&H, AB, Zooropa, POP, No Line)...You're always gonna have a tree with grey fruits, thus, my darkness fruits with light-juice theory still stands...You get a darkness tree with light flowing through it...and the juice is even sweeter.......

But what I said above is a lyrical thing mainly...What stands out  the second you put it on, what the  albums I included between brackets have is a Intuitive and Experimental Musical Landscape which blends perfectly with the Lyrical and vocal Interpretation...it doesn't seem forced...It feels like it was there but You couldn't reach it before.......

Edited by pain_18_