Camera Restrictions (MERGED)

• Subscriber

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know the camera restrictions on a u2 show? i know once a camera is at a certain level, you cannot bring it in. i have a sony mirrorless camera. not a dslr but not a point and shoot either.

any direction would be great.

thanks!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

It may be venue dependent, but I've never had issues with my Sony superzoom (more than a regular pocket size point and shoot, but no detachable lens like a DSLR) at a U2 show. Other bands I've seen have restricted the superzooms, but never at an arena or stadium show (more for the amphitheatre style venues).

Anyway, that's been my personal experience with cameras at u2 shows, but venues usually post camera policies on their website. Hope this helps...

360 allowed DSLRs. I had an APS SLR and a point & shoot for North American leg 1 and a small DSLR for the final North American leg. My largest zoom was only 18-70mm. So a stock lens.

I use primes nowadays, nothing greater than 85mm.

One of my best moment was after National finished their set here, Matt Berninger leaned over from stage and shook my hand over the railing, thanking me for covering the show from the audience.

So who knows maybe U2 will be okay like National, JAMES, Sara Evans, Diamond Rio, Naked and Famous, mrnorth, FIXX and others are at their concerts, video cameras, DSLRs, etc again.

I'll bring my toys and play it by ear. Would be a shame not to properly cover opening night since @u2 won't (so far) be having a presence there.

Edited by Sigma957

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Having had GA up close for 360, I took many great up close pictures.  But always felt like I was interrupting my enjoyment to take all of them.  So I was thinking of taking a GoPro and using it for timed photos.  But figured it would have to be strapped to my head to forget about it and just enjoy the show.  But also figure I would look and feel like a dork with a camera stapped to my head so....

• Subscriber

You wouldn't just look like a dork, but you'd be restricting the view of many people behind you. Have you thought of this? I'd expect you'd get plenty of abuse from those people, & rightly so! The only place you could put it & not affect those behind you would be on a shoulder mount or chest mount. But the cameras view from this height will be restricted, & as said earlier the footage will be shaky & likely unviewable. Only real option would be to get a rail spot, & attach the camera to the rail. I can't see security allowing this, unless policies change.

But concert photography is a low light environment. You need a camera with a 'fast' lens. This is a large aperture, which will let in enough light, while using a decently fast shutter speed (to eliminate blur from motion). A GoPro is just not going to cut it in low light conditions, & as said earlier, the sound will probably suck too.

Not entirely correct regarding a "fast lens".

If you have a stock 18-45mm (for example) lens and use AP mode on your DSLR you can get great shots in low light. I did on the last tour. Ran a stock Nikon 18-70mm DX f/3.5 on the final 360 leg. If you have enough light coming from the stage, you can get wonderful shots without a low light lens. Just wait for the light to shine.

I personally use f/1.8 prime lenses now. My favorite is the 35mm f/1.8 prime.

"Small digital camera" is quite irrelevant now. They are all small but pack crazy CMOS sensors on them that create crisp images in low light. The only thing compacts don't do is shoot RAW. Ken Rockwell and DPReview both said that the megapixels cameras come with now make old conventions about "professional" cameras outdated.

RAW vs JPG, that's the only divider now.

Don't get me started on the new smartphones with their crazy Ultra HD image taking abilities.

PS Don't use flash, it hurts peoples' eyes in dim settings.

Edited by Sigma957