• Subscriber

Yeah true re. aperture. I was thinking about cameras with small sensor sizes (like the GoPro). But you're totally right, for these cameras with much larger sensors, you can bump up the ISO to compensate for quite low light levels, & not suffer from very noisy pictures. Plus, compared to many concerts, the lighting at U2 shows is pretty good.

I'm far from an expert, your knowledge would be way, way ahead of mine. Last tour I used a Canon S90. So what I guess was called an advanced compact back then. Manual functions & RAW. Pretty good sensor (1/1.7") for a non-DSLR (did they have micro 4/3's back then), but wouldn't compete with the much larger sensors of today. So the f/2.0 lens helped a lot, as if I bumped the ISO much above 400 noise would become an issue.

Technology has certainly moved on a lot since '09, with some pretty amazing cameras in small packages. But I think I'll be sticking with my trusty S90, mainly due to budget constraints.

Edited by ddarroch
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Like ddarroch, I also have a Canon S90, it works fine, and I'll bring it to the show this time too.  I bought a small camera on purpose because I wanted something that would easily be carried in a pocket while in GA.  U2 generally has allowed (even encouraged?) fans to bring cameras, regardless of the venue "official" policy; however, sometimes the security people dont get the message and I've heard of some issues on occasion. 

Just my opinion:  why bring a more complicated and bulky DSLR when there are so many fantastic high resolution compacts these days that do very well in low lighting situations?  I just set mine on auto ISO and let the camera choose the settings.  Sure, they aren't "pro" quality but I dont care as long as they are reasonably sharp, I'm there to see a concert, not take hundreds of photos! :P  

• Subscriber

Hi zoomcat, it's certainly great to have a pretty small camera for the show. So what setting do you use for your S90? For my first show I remember I tried some sort of auto mode with a reasonably fast shutter speed & exposure compensation set at the minimum, -2. But even at -2 they're were plenty of shots that were over exposed, so lots of ghosting of the band members. For other shows I think I was using a manual mode, with shutter speed of 1/100, an ISO of 125 or 250? Spot metering, & the aperture wide open at f/2.0. I shoot in burst mode, point the camera in the general direction & let it rip. Like you, I'd rather concentrate on the show, not the camera. That's the great thing with digital cameras, no dramas if some of the shots are total crap & out of focus.

These settings worked pretty good for me, but it'd be good to hear what settings others used to get good results.

Edited by ddarroch
  • Subscriber

Hi zoomcat, it's certainly great to have a pretty small camera for the show. So what setting do you use for your S90? For my first show I remember I tried some sort of auto mode with a reasonably fast shutter speed & exposure compensation set at the minimum, -2. But even at -2 they're were plenty of shots that were over exposed, so lots of ghosting of the band members. For other shows I think I was using a manual mode, with shutter speed of 1/100, an ISO of 125 or 250? Spot metering, & the aperture wide open at f/2.0. I shoot in burst mode, point the camera in the general direction & let it rip. Like you, I'd rather concentrate on the show, not the camera. That's the great thing with digital cameras, no dramas if some of the shots are total crap & out of focus.

These settings worked pretty good for me, but it'd be good to hear what settings others used to get good results.

Wow, you're testing my memory!  I'm looking at the camera now and I think what I had it set on was "P", auto ISO, auto white balance, no exposure compensation, evaluative metering, no flash, and image stabilization (IS) set to on.

I basically let the camera do the work figuring out the best ISO/aperture/speed.  I sometimes ended up with "ghosting" and overexposed band members too, I believe it was because the camera was trying to meter off the darker background instead. 

And that "ring" around the lens that you can customize what it does?  Be careful with that, I had it set to change the ISO and I accidentally bumped it during one show and wasnt paying attention and all my shots ended up being at ISO80 so they were almost all blurry!

I'll have to try burst mode, I hadnt thought of that, good idea!

• Subscriber

Thanks mate. Yeah, that black background really tricked the camera with exposure levels. After struggling on that first show I think I got way better results setting the camera to manual, & forgetting about it (except for Ultraviolet, which needed changes).

I'm going to have to go through my camera instructions, & also check the EFIX data of some ok the pictures that worked. Yep, that ring on the back does turn too easily. I also had some issues with it changing unexpectedly. Think I had it set to shutter speed from memory (front ring to ISO). I guess, as you were using an auto mode, once the ISO was lowered to 80, the shutter speed would have been automatically slowed down, resulting in that blur. I set my shutter speed manually. I think shutter speed is about the most important thing. Underexposed pics an be somewhat fixed when editted, but blurry shot can't be fixed. I set shutter speed to 1/100s, which is just about the slowest you can get, without blur. For really dark songs (ultraviolet), I think I slowed the shutter speed down to about 1/60s, & increased the ISO, & it wasn't too bad.

Will have to study again, before my shows.

• Subscriber

u2 dublin

u2 dublin

u2 dublin

I pulled these off with just an Olympus EP1 (much newer and better versions now) with a Leica 35/f2 Summicron. The 3/4rds sensor crop made the lens about a 60mm. Of course being right up front in the ring in Dublin helped :). I would suggest using full manual controls if your camera allows. Concert lighting is tough for cameras on "P". Not sure what I'll bring for the new tour. I don't have any close tix so far.

A few folks mentioned "Ultraviolet". Blue light is probably the worst for digital cameras. Wait for the brighter yellow and white lights for best results.

Wow the images I posted really get compressed on here. The image quality is much better than what shows.

Edited by Nawlins

I'll post some pics soon from 360.

My D5200 is a very small DX based DSLR. Its smaller than the older D80 and about the same size as the Canon S3 IS Point and Shoot I used for the 2009 shows. That's when I found my calling.

October 2009

@Nawlins, nice shots. Very nice.

Edited by Sigma957
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Any news from Vancouver concert? DSLRs (detachable lens) allowed?

For Vancouver it was small compact cameras without removable lenses allowed and Smartphones only.

Edited by K5Jon