• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

oh my gosh! is Bono going through a BOWIE 'Serious Moonlight' tour look moment??  :blink:

I remember when MetallicA cut their hair when the LOAD album was released, and fans were going on about the hair or lack of.

but MetallicA look good with long or short hair so I didn't give a toss.

I don't think blonde suits Bono, black all the way or his natural brown.

edit: though BOWIE is way cooler.

12cc6f09f490887a710b77c5908859d4.jpg

Edited by BigBunny
  • Subscriber

So it sounds like the idea that the thug would have the I and E incorporated into the design was on.  Can't wait to see some photos of the setup sounds cool.  An intermission is interesting, sounds like they've ditched the idea of alternating the set lists show to show, like the idea of two half better.  Wonder if this means a longer set list than a normal U2 show!

• Subscriber

Yep, Bono lies. I really hope there's still going to be significant differences between the pair of shows. Lots of people will be quite unhappy if there's not much difference, myself included. What's the point of buying tickets to 2 shows, if they're just about the same. Good way to sell tickets tough, well done Bono! I saw 4 360 shows in 2009, back to back, & they all had the EXACT same set list. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again. I'm seeing 4 i+e shows, I was considering a 5th. But that won't be happening if set lists are pretty much static between shows. Although, if the show is split in halves, with half performed at the 'I' & half performed at the 'e', I guess the experience could be quite different if viewing one show near the 'I' & the next near the 'e'.

Not sure if Bono's voice, or more importantly, Larry's back could handle a significantly longer set list.

Guess we don't have long to wait & see.

Edited by ddarroch
  • Subscriber

Yep, Bono lies. I really hope there's still going to be significant differences between the pair of shows. Lots of people will be quite unhappy if there's not much difference, myself included. What's the point of buying tickets to 2 shows, if they're just about the same. Good way to sell tickets tough, well done Bono! I saw 4 360 shows in 2009, back to back, & they all had the EXACT same set list. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again. I'm seeing 4 i+e shows, I was considering a 5th. But that won't be happening if set lists are pretty much static between shows.

If it's that much of a bother, than you could always choose to go to just one in the future. 

• Subscriber

Great to get info on the stage/setlist possibilities! Finally! I agree that changing the format of the 2 night combination is tough to hear as that is how they sold us on the shows originally, but in reality, I never thought it would be  possible to do 2 drastically different shows night 1 to night 2. Too many fans who could only afford one night would be dissapointed and management probably  expressed this to the band after Bono's idea was put out there for the public to hear. Hopefully they will mix up part 2 between night one and night 2. I am also hoping this setup eliminates the supporting act. I would be so happy with 2 sets with a break and no support - don't need it in my opinion. This format seems to be the same type as Gilmore did in 2006 - First half of show was new album in entiretly - second was old stuff. I enjoyed it because I really loved that album "On an Island" - very mellow - then second half was kick ass! This could work the same way. Next the seating- looks like all the seats on either end should be pretty good - tough to understand the ticket pricing/ticket notation differences and where back of stage is exactly - seems more of an "in the round" (rectangle) than front-back stage. And Lastly, i feel bad for Bono and the arm and hand recovery- This is tough to hear. Unfortunately, i can totally relate - I used to play the keyboards - got diagnosed with RA in 2005 - my elbows don't bend much (they look like hockey sticks!) and my fingers are quite crooked as time goes on. I miss the keyboards - My family recently got me a yamaha digital and I can play around - sort of - but its a tough thing to know you physically cant do something you love anymore its frustrating -- My docs are at HSS where Bono got care in NY - Hope they can help him recover completely - Either way he will be so great- we can't wait for next month!

• Subscriber

Agree- never thought it would be possible to do two dramatically different shows both from a rehearsal, prep aspect (it is difficult to put together and rehearse two completely different shows in the grand scale that U2 do, particularly with Bono's recovery) and from a "satisfy people" aspect.

Bono said they would *try* to have a completely different feeling from one night to the next and that they would play with innocence and experience. *We* then all made this to be *they will be* vs try and generated these huge ways they would be different. It definitely sounds like they are doing the later and it maybe that there still will be some differences between shows but maybe not as huge as we all made it out to be.

Regardless if your at a show it will be awesome.

Edited by kwaite
  • Subscriber

Yep, Bono lies. I really hope there's still going to be significant differences between the pair of shows. Lots of people will be quite unhappy if there's not much difference, myself included. What's the point of buying tickets to 2 shows, if they're just about the same. Good way to sell tickets tough, well done Bono! I saw 4 360 shows in 2009, back to back, & they all had the EXACT same set list. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again. I'm seeing 4 i+e shows, I was considering a 5th. But that won't be happening if set lists are pretty much static between shows. Although, if the show is split in halves, with half performed at the 'I' & half performed at the 'e', I guess the experience could be quite different if viewing one show near the 'I' & the next near the 'e'.

Not sure if Bono's voice, or more importantly, Larry's back could handle a significantly longer set list.

Guess we don't have long to wait & see.

False advertising. He said two different shows. People go out and buy tix on the info provided. Then excuses. "People will be disappointed not to hear our hits". They have always changed a couple/few songs. Yeah, I was disappointed not to hear Bad or Ultraviolet; but they had no problem with that. And, I lived and loved them with that. But, I would NOT have bought for so many shows if knowing they were going to be similar shows. I hope for different sets, or I will be selling some tix. Very disappointed!

And, I agree. I do not see Bono or Larry doing longer shows than the previous couple of tours.

Edited by littleguydougie
  • Subscriber

Really really really glad to read this!!! It was a long time...

I'm sorry to hear about Bono's hand and arm. I really hope his nerves heal after 13 months... I guess he has the best doctors and physios and he will continue working hard to recover. I really wish for him he can fully recover and play his guitar. B)  He has already done really well you see he's ready to tour yet...

Really interesting the whole article. I have been waiting for years to have any news about the new stage! I love that it is part of the narrative of the album etc etc. Who in the world can do that better, other than U2?  It sounds it will be quite amazing and intimate this time. I think I've never been to an "intimate" U2 show. Can't wait! By the way - I wanted to know where is Willie Williams. :P

I loved what Edge said too. And we've new songs on the way!!! So this is about to start!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Subscriber

I think it's going too far to say that what was said before was "false advertising", that "Bono lies", etc.  They said the shows would be different, sure, but nobody said anything about the shows being COMPLETELY different, setlist-wise (Bono's actual quote was: "We're going to try to have a completely different feeling...").  Myself, I always thought it was obvious that there would be significant overlap from night one to night two--especially regarding some of their core, top hits.  Now, we apparently know that the 1st half will be pretty similar from show to show, but major differences in the 2nd half.  That still adds up to a serious amount of show-to-show setlist change--likely considerably more than they have typically done before.

Edited by mike7man