• Subscriber

A quote from the article, 'The initial idea was to work up two entirely different concerts, but U2 worried about leaving out staples or having fans think they'd gotten the second best show'. It sure sounds like they are playing it safe- new songs and big hits. That is great. But, not what I'd hope for or originally intended. If they change many songs per night- awesome. I'll have fun either way.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

i can't believe how gullible some of you lot are.

been a massive fan for 32 years now and took bono's comments with a smidgeon of salt at the start of me fandom never mind these days.

we'll be gettin the same old shite with the new songs thrown in call me a curmudgeon but i'm a (bonospeak)realist

I can't believe Bono is actually BLOND at the moment. Wow. But I think I like him better as a brunette. :P

As for the shows, I'm going just the one night, so now I feel I wont miss out on anything.

• Subscriber

The staging and sound design sound fantastic.

I'm a little disappointed to read that they've moved away from the concept of two different shows - I really felt that that was how they promoted it, and while I probably was gonna try to go to as many shows as I could anyway (as is usually my deal) and bought tickets to more than one, I really did use the idea of two different shows as a way to justify going to multiples.  I've been getting excited about that concept for months, so to see it abandoned is a little disappointing.  I'm also not a big fan of intermissions, and I hope that they drop that idea.  Speaking as a GA ticket holder, the last thing I'd want after hours waiting in line was for the show to stop.. still can't move.  Pretty much every concert I've ever seen that had an intermission suffered for it momentum-wise.  Ironically, Bruce Springsteen used to do intermissions in the 70s and 80s when he was younger, and now he plays straight through without a break (you'd think it would have been the other way around).

But these are all just initial reactions and random grumblings, and I'm sure they'll get it right.  

And it may have been fantasy to begin with to really think they'd do two different shows with little overlap between them, but that was something I was super excited about.  I've been spoiled for years by being a fan of performers like Springsteen who make a point of changing things from night to night, especially when playing in the same town.  For multiple nights and setlist variations, quite possibly the best band for that is Dave Matthews Band.  Whether you love or hate them, they are aware that a lot of their fans see multiple shows, and I've seen them many times where they played two nights in the same venue, and didn't play the same song twice.  They've got enough hits that they can play some one night, and some the other night, and I figured that's what U2 would do.  Maybe do stuff like "Streets" every night, but stuff like "Beautiful Day" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday" every other night.  U2 has such an impressive catalog of hit songs that they really could play a ton of hits one night and you'd barely notice you were missing half of them.

• Subscriber

Don't think so.  C'mon, guys, the shows will be substantially different (especially in the second half)--clearly more so than in past tours.

• Subscriber

Don't think so.  C'mon, guys, the shows will be substantially different (especially in the second half)--clearly more so than in past tours.

The idea of a varying second half sounds good. If it means I get to hear Exit on the first night in London and Gone on the sixth, I'm fine with that!

• Subscriber

Bono says in the article that the second set could be 'varying'. The 2001 and 2005 always had varying sets- 2 or 3 songs. That is not 'significant or substantially different' as some are hoping. I do hope you are correct and the two show are a great deal different. But, with throwing out the two different shows promotion and wanting to keep the masses of regular fans happy, I am a bit concerned and disappointed. Hopefully I will be a happy puppy on the 14th and 15th (15th is the big test of song substitutions).

• Subscriber

Stage info in the article!!! Also lots more information on potential set up of songs "story", tour documentary, and SOE. Sounds sooooo awesome!!!!!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/music/u2s-flight-to-now-turbulence-included.html?_r=3&referrer=

Fantastic article. Absolutely fantastic article.

• Subscriber

I wonder just how many have bought tickets in pairs to see the different nights. I should imagine it's quite a few (at least from what's been said on here) so there's the potential for a large number of disappointed people on night two. Personally, I'm a little disappointed right now. I've always been a one a tour person so two nights in a row is a new thing for me and the different nights was something I was really excited about but I know when I'm there it won't matter one bit.

Edited by joeyanne