The "Pissed Off" Middle Eight

kiss_the_sky

• Subscriber

On March 2, 2006, u2 visited Argentina, where it performed a concert Buenos Aires. But it wasn't just any concert. It was part of u2's Vertigo Tour, or the first tour since Amnesty International released a report documenting the torture and abuses at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

The band was in rare form on this night, and you can tell from the below set list what kind of mood it was in. Bono gets the emotions flowing with a song about his dad. Lest you think those emotions are all melancholy, listen to how he introduces the song.

From here the band moves to Love and Peace or Else, which one might call a sequel to Bullet the Blue Sky. But instead of just playing the sequel, u2 follows up by playing Bullet itself, separated only by an inspired version of Bloody Sunday. Even the lyrics of the softer tune Miss Sarajevo are modified to make a plea for human rights at the close.

Only after this spilling of guts and venting of spleen does Bono remind the crowd why they are all here. To hear great music? Yes. But more specifically to be uplifted spiritually by the hands of Love.

Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
(Snippets of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" & "The Hands That Built America")
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Where the Streets Have No Name

• Subscriber

Well.....it seems there was no more Grand Edge Live Solo on Bullet the Blue Sky on the opening night of the IE tour... :(    I love the classic solo but I think the other one was more experimental and intuitive...As opposed to the classic, more restrained album one which seems Edge can't develop too much...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Yeah...That's right Sigma...Actually the one that was born in the ZOO era is derived from the Album solo...so he could do a MEga-Solo.......If only !!!

Bono's essay is ace,  I love it !!

I have come to accept the way they play it now (Rattle and Hum style).....

Edited by pain_18_