#U2ieTour Setlist / Dual Show Format Discussion (MERGED)

• Subscriber
I thought this was supposed to be a pair of two different shows

Did anyone else get the feeling when they announced the tour, that they would be a pair of two distinct shows on separate nights? (I.e. Innocence and Experience). After watching the streams of the last two nights I feel like there wasn't enough of a difference between the two to call them distinct shows. Yes, they added 6 different songs, but the other 18 songs were repeats. Don't get me wrong, I loved every second of the show. I was amazed that I could watch it on my phone and am so grateful. U2 is the greatest band. I even named my firstborn Bono, but I had been so excited to experience the two separate nights. (Maybe one was supposed to be acoustic like the bonus track disc). I don't know. But I guess, my question is, was anyone else let down by this, or had I assumed wrongly when they made the tour announcement? Any input would be great! Thanks!

Edited by bigwave

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I'm with you. I was out both Vancouver nights and expected them to be different and like you I got this impression from the tour announcement. Speaking to another fan on the night he said that they had changed the idea so that fans didn't feel they had to go to both nights and that if they could only attend one they wouldn't feel they were missing out. I have no idea how true that is.

• Subscriber

Yep, should have been more changes (at least 8 different songs--better more like 10-12).  They did say recently that the shows wouldn't be completely different (and, if you read carefully their earlier comments last winter, they didn't specifically say the shows would be completely different, but certainly suggested they'd differ quite substantially), but given their earlier comments, the shows really should be more different than they are.  Not to mention that, with no opening act and an intermission (which could easily be longer), the show should be longer than it is--that's what other major acts do when there's no opener.  As it stands, it's only 2-3 songs longer (c. 24) than their standard length (c. 22 songs).

• Subscriber

I certainly hope so; but, even if so, the issue here is changes from the 1st to 2nd shows in the "pairs".  U2 always makes various changes as their tours evolve over time (which is great), but again, the issue here is within the "pairs".

• Subscriber

I dont expect this band to be like Phish and go 7 shows without a repeat and play 3 - 4 hr shows like bruce springsteen but changing the setlist 6 songs does not constintue "mixing it up". 75% of the show is still the same. A lot of people purchased multipe nigths who would normally not do so, under this assumption. I would go multiple nights regardless, but it's kinda a bummer they didnt stick to their word. While we're only 2 shows in, i hope i'm proven wrong and things change, but It seems the band, bono in particular, have a tendency to say things that get the fan base fired up, but then they dont follow through. I guess its the political side of Bono getting in the way of his rock star persona. Its like campaign promises but in this instance its a concert setlist :) They get the diehards super excited and then when show time arrives they play it safe to satisfy the casual fans. I'm trying not to be too negative and im still super pumped for this tour, but it is a little frustrating. Their back catelog is huge and they are more than capable of rotaing through 60 + tracks over multiple nights. The band is always so temid and worried about outside perception. We've seen it time and time again with album delays and weird decisions. They should just trust their fanbase and take some chances and stop trying to constantly recruit new fans to stay "relevant". Do what you love and the fans will come. Lets just rock!

not only are the nights not different enough as suggested before tickets went on sale, but the two halfs of the show are not different either. just a standard intermssion between.

i was expecting something completely differnet.

• Subscriber

They did release a statement saying they were scrapping the idea about a month ago I think. Also, if this tour will be anything like the last, we can expect the setlist to vary with each city and each leg.