• Subscriber

I wasn't sure where to put this, can a mod move it to somewhere more appropriate if this isn't right please.

So I just watched the video for this for the first time. In From The Sky Down Larry said about Bono during the JT tour: "he's out there, sticking his ass out the window every night". We're not strangers to this, it's the front man we know and love, but I think during the course of this tour EBW could turn out to be one of the most vulnerable performances of his career.

Yes there are other candidates, old and new, but they are all full band with the supportive energy and momentum that brings, but in this case (so far at least), he's centre stage, virtually alone, just the piano, singing about something very important to him.

He has to belt out an emotional and enthralling performance, hit all those long notes to keep the power of the song without heavy instrumentals backing him up or glossing over mistakes, but allow himself the odd break in voice to show the depth of what he feels when he sings it.

So far the MTV performance is probably the best on emotional direction, created by the band and string section backing up Bono's soaring vocals and I was disappointed at the lack of strings...BUT...when you consider standing emotionally naked before 20,000 people, all the security you normally rely on has gone and these people are expecting you to deliver on one of the most powerful songs you've ever written (some won't agree, I think it is, not necessarily top, but it's up there if for no other reason than the arrangement), knowing that your delivery will mean the difference between the crowd lifting their voices to carry you and giving a half hearted applause signalling a slow in momentum that could be hard to recover.

His body language and expressions throughout this performance were very telling of the place he had to go (mentally/emotionally) to nail it, but you could also see the vulnerable position this put him in with this arrangement. I think we may be seeing Bono make a new land mark, "sticking his ass out the window" that bit further and actually in a way he's never really done before, I am very interested to see how it carries with audiences as the tour goes on. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Rhi_K

Rhi_k-

First off....thank you for the video. It was great and I can't wait until they land in Chicago. Since I have not been to the U2ie shows yet, I can only comment on what I've seen and read. It's not just that song that he is opening up to us about but almost the whole show. Yes he is without accompaniment except for Edge, but even with the band, he Is singing about his mother, Iris and showing us his room inside his old North Dublin home and having his own son portraying the innocent child Paul once was.

Maybe getting older is making him softer to his fans.....or maybe he is just letting us here him for the first time.

I think it's great and thanks again!

Cheers!

Pete

• Subscriber

I wasn't sure where to put this, can a mod move it to somewhere more appropriate if this isn't right please.

So I just watched the video for this for the first time. In From The Sky Down Larry said about Bono during the JT tour: "he's out there, sticking his ass out the window every night". We're not strangers to this, it's the front man we know and love, but I think during the course of this tour EBW could turn out to be one of the most vulnerable performances of his career.

Yes there are other candidates, old and new, but they are all full band with the supportive energy and momentum that brings, but in this case (so far at least), he's centre stage, virtually alone, just the piano, singing about something very important to him.

He has to belt out an emotional and enthralling performance, hit all those long notes to keep the power of the song without heavy instrumentals backing him up or glossing over mistakes, but allow himself the odd break in voice to show the depth of what he feels when he sings it.

So far the MTV performance is probably the best on emotional direction, created by the band and string section backing up Bono's soaring vocals and I was disappointed at the lack of strings...BUT...when you consider standing emotionally naked before 20,000 people, all the security you normally rely on has gone and these people are expecting you to deliver on one of the most powerful songs you've ever written (some won't agree, I think it is, not necessarily top, but it's up there if for no other reason than the arrangement), knowing that your delivery will mean the difference between the crowd lifting their voices to carry you and giving a half hearted applause signalling a slow in momentum that could be hard to recover.

His body language and expressions throughout this performance were very telling of the place he had to go (mentally/emotionally) to nail it, but you could also see the vulnerable position this put him in with this arrangement. I think we may be seeing Bono make a new land mark, "sticking his ass out the window" that bit further and actually in a way he's never really done before, I am very interested to see how it carries with audiences as the tour goes on.

Thoughts?

• Subscriber

Amazing song, amazing performance.

Where you seating at level 100 or 200? Planning on buying tickets for another night.. Thanks!

Oh I wasn't there Gloria, it's someone else's video, but I was so moved by the whole arrangement and performance, I'm sure I'll be in pieces at my gigs.

I'd like to get seats for another too, I only have GA so far and would really like to experience both, but I think you definitely want 100 or 200 if you can get them, centre catwalk or nearer e-stage if you can afford it

• Subscriber

Where you seating at level 100 or 200? Planning on buying tickets for another night.. Thanks!

Oh I wasn't there Gloria, it's someone else's video, but I was so moved by the whole arrangement and performance, I'm sure I'll be in pieces at my gigs.

I'd like to get seats for another too, I only have GA so far and would really like to experience both, but I think you definitely want 100 or 200 if you can get them, centre catwalk or nearer e-stage if you can afford it

loved the video too.   I got RZ tickets... not so excited about them anymore!  Now deciding on whether I get seats or GA for another night!    =)   Is it safe to buy stub hub?  or would you only buy the resales in ticketmaster??

• Subscriber

Rhi_k-

First off....thank you for the video. It was great and I can't wait until they land in Chicago. Since I have not been to the U2ie shows yet, I can only comment on what I've seen and read. It's not just that song that he is opening up to us about but almost the whole show. Yes he is without accompaniment except for Edge, but even with the band, he Is singing about his mother, Iris and showing us his room inside his old North Dublin home and having his own son portraying the innocent child Paul once was.

Maybe getting older is making him softer to his fans.....or maybe he is just letting us here him for the first time.

I think it's great and thanks again!

Cheers!

Pete

I agree Pete, there are so many moving moments, I could have written an essay on it but thought that would be boring for folks, so I just decided to focus on this song because as I watched it I got a surge of that 'mum' feeling, he just seemed so exposed and it was such wave of relief when the crowd began to cheer near the end, I know they were applauding his performance, but it kind of felt like "it's okay, we got you". 

Perhaps I read to much into things, but I just thought it was a beautiful moment :)

• Subscriber

loved the video too.   I got RZ tickets... not so excited about them anymore!  Now deciding on whether I get seats or GA for another night!    =)   Is it safe to buy stub hub?  or would you only buy the resales in ticketmaster??

I wouldn't worry about changing your tix for GA, unless you really want to be in the bulk of the crowd (which I get, I love the energy), RZ is right at the back of Ga and I see why, you will have a great view of the band and the screens there. But yeah, perhaps worth trading for seating. 

I was checking them out yesterday for London/Glasgow and Stubhub are running a little more expensive than TM right now, not many 100 level seats and obviously wouldn't be worth giving up a RZ for ends of the stage.

You could try asking around to see if anyone would like to trade, I think many people had to get seats but really wanted the floor, so could be worth asking.