Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

Vancouver Shows 1 & 2 #U2ieTour Reviews & Comments Thread

#U2ieTour Vancouver Show 1 -What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of The Night? (Choose up to 3...)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favourite song(s) of each night? Choose up to 3 from each...

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • Out Of Control
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song For Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Desire
    • Sweetest Thing
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    • The Troubles
    • With Or Without You
    • City Of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • I Sill Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  2. 2. #U2ieTour Vancouver Show 2 - What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of The Night? (Choose up to 3...)

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • Vertigo
    • California (There is no End to Love)
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until The End Of The World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better Than The Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Angel Of Harlem
    • When Love Comes To Town
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • Bullet The Blue Sky
    • Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    • Beautiful Day
    • With Or Without You
    • Miracle Drug
    • Bad
    • Where The Streets Have No Name
    • One

Where you there? Following along in the live threads or elsewhere online, or been catching up with all the shows news?

Post up your reviews, images, videos for all to enjoy & share

Don;t worry if you already posted them elsewhere (in the Zoo or beyond) - just add here too, or links to your offline blogs & sites

Which was your favourite song(s) of each night (don;t forget to add your votes to the topic poll..)

What was the defining special moment?

>>One suggestion to the U2 crew... get that video moved over to us at the front. Why display it for people who have a direct view of the band? We in the front can't see them at all.... A video view would be nice<<

I had the same thought. Why are they playing the live shots over the E stage where everything is happening? We at the other end at the main stage and felt very cut off from what was happening down there as we couldn't see it for ourselves.

Edited by Napoli84

Great, sometimes epic. No regrets !

I've been on GA on the first night, north side, by the rail of the e-stage. Great spot, that I secured easily despite the fact I arrived in the GA line-up around 4:30 in the afternoon. Once inside, I found myself side to a brazilian couple who were in the line since 4:00 am (around number 70)... 

Second night I was on section 121. 3/4 behind the main stage, with a decent view on the screen.

Very impressive imo for a tour start, looks like they already have dozen gigs done before.

The stage setup is really neat. Except for the upper bowl behind the stage, I guess there are no bad seats. Everyone gets at least a piece of it.

Technically speaking that was impressive. The screen of course and the transparency effects, but I'd like to mention the sound as well, that was incredible. Only downside, it sounded a little too bright at times, especially on loud guitar parts. But top notch overall !

Setlist was +++ imo, with some very special events : ONE not played for the very first time, rarities such as OOC or WHEN LOVES COME TO TOWN, and of course BAD !!! My god, this one is so precious that they play it only a few times every tour, and we got the chance to have it.

I never use my phone during a concert, because memories are the most valuable souvenirs, but i made an exception this time, by filming just a little bit for my wife who could'nt attend due to injury. But no entire song, just pieces here and there :

Now I hope for a second north-american leg coming around Seattle or Portland (of course they're welcome to Van if they want to come back :))

Lucky those about to see it ! Enjoy guys !

Forgot to mention : in my opinion the best sports are near the e-stage / catwalk crossing, as shown in green there :

632865Sanstitre.png

My review:  I saw both shows and think that this tour features a truly awesome show, but not the pair of two distinct shows that was originally billed (and the tour program still seems to imply is the case, which seems... inaccurate at best, embarrassing at worst).

First, the good:  The band sounds and looks great (as always), and the setlist combines a number of new favorites from Songs of Innocence with old favorites and standards.  The stage setup and visual effects were generally very strong, though I liked them best when used in a more minimal way.  For example, usually in arena or stadium shows, my eyes tend to be drawn to the video screens rather than watching the band live, which always seems unfortunate (why not just stay home and watch videos?).  For that reason, I *loved* the way "Even Better than the Real Thing" was staged in such a way that each band member was juxtaposed with a close-up image of themselves playing, permitting us to see them live and zoomed in simultaneously without looking back and forth from screen to show.  On the other end of the spectrum, Cedarwood Road was a really nice example of using the visual effects in creative ways that fit the music well (particularly the two different paces of the visuals depending on the speed of the song), including a clever dimming of Bono's spots at just the right time to make him disappear behind a vehicle in the "foreground" and a perfectly timed cherry tree when that lyric was sung.  Yet the strongest moments for me were the most human ones.  The cellphone camera operator from the audience on night #1 did a great job of filming the band in a way that felt warm, close, and personal, like a home movie.  The young lad who Bono brought out of the audience for Beautiful Day on night #1 was also great to watch, moving from rapt attention to celebration over the course of the song.  Night #2's cellphone operator seemed to feel a bit less comfortable moving around (maybe didn't receive as much encouragement to do so from Bono).

The disappointing aspect for me was how much the two shows ended up being similar.  Usually when U2 tours, I only go to one of two nights in my city because the setlist tends to be so much the same (semi-understandably, due to their production values), and so once is typically enough for me.  So when I heard about this tour involving two distinct nights, I was excited.  Primarily because U2's catalog is so deep and so full of favorites for me that this seemed like a no-brainer way to feature more songs (and maybe more songs off the beaten path) than usual.  I bought the tickets figuring that there would be some amount of overlap from night 1 to night 2, guessing it to be about 1/3 of the set, primarily focused on new material that they'd want to feature on both nights.  The NYT article telegraphed that that original vision had eroded somewhat and suggested that half the show would be the same and half different, so I adjusted by expectations to anticipate about half the songs to be the same.  So to end up with a setlist that was 3/4 the same and which rarely ventured away from songs that are mainstays on every tour was very disappointing ("Out of Control" and "Bad" being two highlights off the recently beaten path for me, with the strong showing of R&H songs on both nights being notable as well).  In the NYT article, I saw this rationalized as "not wanting anyone to feel like they'd been there on the lesser of two nights", but if that's the case, I don't think the show should've been billed as being so different from one night to the next.  Nothing from the second night said "experience" to me more than the first night said "innocence", and beyond the setlist similarities, even the patter was quiet similar at times, particularly for the long portion of the setlist that overlapped.

The main thing that saved the second night from being a complete disappointment was that our seats were so different that we got to see the show from a completely different vantage point (the floor the first night, which was great for seeing the band when they were on our side of the arena, but terrible for seeing the visual effects; and then the 3rd level on the second night, which was the complete opposite).  If our seats had been in the same places both nights...  I would've felt ripped off by night two, I'm sorry to say.

So I think that U2 and their management and promotion should call a spade a spade.  This is a great, solid show for U2 and no doubt will be a solid tour, but it looks to be one that features minor variations on a single show, not a pair of shows that are somehow distinct from one another.  Quoting from the original show announcement, Bono said "We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two."  A great concept, but not something they've achieved here.  If you're like me and typically prefer not to see the same show twice on a single tour, go once and revel in it.  If you don't mind seeing the show multiple times, go twice -- just don't be fooled into thinking that you're going to get a completely different feeling on night two.

-Brad  (U2 fan since `87)

Helloooo still not come down!! Was at both nights GA - first night up at front rail, 2nd night front rail catwalk, a little more than midway down towards B-stage. As incredible as night 1 was up front, night 2 blew it out of the place for me!! Sounded better night 2 in that position and the crowd was a lot livelier IMHO. Had 2 great queues with all my U2 best friends from all around the world and local -- scheming now for another show(s). Haven't posted on the Zootopia since Vertigo probably ... have to figure out how pics and videos work lol

Vancouver 1

Vancouver 2

Vancouver 2

Vancouver 2

It was so funny in the queue for night 1, I was alone holding the spot while my friends were out eating / bathroom break etc and our local radio station stopped right in front of me, and got an impromptu sing-a-long going and it made the news. My brother and sister-in-law were arguing if that was me, my own brother said it wasn't ahaha she won the bet. The line was so much fun, meeting people you haven't seen since the last tour, meeting friends you've only talked to online, random strangers bringing pizza or chocolate or water by, lively conversations and plot hatching ... would do it all over again!

Edited by justgimmewhatiwant

Like A Song, there were quite a lot of set list changes for night 2. It was definitely worth seeing it twice.

Sign in to follow this