Sign in to follow this  
phill pohl

People holding mobile phones in the air

I know you were talking about photography specifically, but Axl Rose isn't really a good example of anything is he?

Sure, he's an example of how accepted photography at a concert used to be, albeit an extreme one.

It was much rarer though, now it's the norm.     Thanks for posting the video though, its always fun to watch that one.  :D

Back when the Vertigo tour was going on, there was a group of people from the fan club here who started an AOL chat room for people to listen to a live feed of the concerts in other cities. Back then I think it was before smartphones were the "in" thing so the sound quality wasn't the greatest. But OMG being able to hear them live from other cities was such a cool thing at the time! Some of you may remember that but it depends how long you've been a member here.

This tour, I've watched some of the Periscope live feeds, complete with actual live streaming video and my mind is blown. Like I'm actually watching the show as it's happening! If you told me years ago that would be possible, well I don't know if I would've believed it. But it has been pretty amazing and I'm grateful to those folks who drained their cellphone batteries and spent their data plans to share with their fellow fans. It's so awesome and I'm surprised to see that people aren't more excited about being able to watch those live video feeds of the shows so far this tour.

Back when the Vertigo tour was going on, there was a group of people from the fan club here who started an AOL chat room for people to listen to a live feed of the concerts in other cities. Back then I think it was before smartphones were the "in" thing so the sound quality wasn't the greatest. But OMG being able to hear them live from other cities was such a cool thing at the time! Some of you may remember that but it depends how long you've been a member here.

This tour, I've watched some of the Periscope live feeds, complete with actual live streaming video and my mind is blown. Like I'm actually watching the show as it's happening! If you told me years ago that would be possible, well I don't know if I would've believed it. But it has been pretty amazing and I'm grateful to those folks who drained their cellphone batteries and spent their data plans to share with their fellow fans. It's so awesome and I'm surprised to see that people aren't more excited about being able to watch those live video feeds of the shows so far this tour.

This is my thinking on the whole thing. Obviously, holding a phone in the air to the detriment of another fan's experience is not okay, but for those who are able to stream without disturbing others, I see this as a very altruistic gesture that brings us together as fans from all around the world. I've been able to catch Periscope snippets of most of the shows so far, and it's mind blowing to feel like you're in the crowd from hundreds of miles away. 

It's all about consideration for others isn't it. If you're in a seat and you can hold it at your own face level and not block anyone behind you fine.

If you're standing on the floor holding it above your head, that will cause a substantial visual block to the people behind you.

Frankly a burst from a super soaker in the back of the head is highly appropriate for these types.. ;)

at the start of the Death Magnetic tour in London 2008, James Hetfield asked people to put their phones down.

I remember he said something about "putting a sh*tty video on youtube". he wanted the crowd to live the concert.

I was at that gig. Excellent stuff!

Reading through these posts and a lot of the comments have been on blocking the view of others.

In a sort of similar vein, how is standing in the seating sections tolerated at shows in other parts of the world? (Not trolling, genuinely curious)

It's all about consideration for others isn't it. If you're in a seat and you can hold it at your own face level and not block anyone behind you fine.

If you're standing on the floor holding it above your head, that will cause a substantial visual block to the people behind you.

Frankly a burst from a super soaker in the back of the head is highly appropriate for these types.. ;)

^ I highly concur!  B)

In a sort of similar vein, how is standing in the seating sections tolerated at shows in other parts of the world? (Not trolling, genuinely curious)

Usually depends on the show... if the majority of the section is standing, you're pretty much standing... but if everyone is sitting down and four people in front are standing and dancing, the'll usually get a lot of "Sit down!"s, at least in NYC...

I doubt the seats will be in use very much during the U2 shows, aside from waiting until the band comes out...

A photo posted by Katie Brashear (@katiebrashear1) on
May 22, 2015 at 9:59pm PDT

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

^ this was posted by mod Mich40 in the live thread.

notice on the big screen you can clearly see 2 phones being held up  <_< live the moment people! 

Edited by BigBunny

Usually depends on the show... if the majority of the section is standing, you're pretty much standing... but if everyone is sitting down and four people in front are standing and dancing, the'll usually get a lot of "Sit down!"s, at least in NYC...

I doubt the seats will be in use very much during the U2 shows, aside from waiting until the band comes out...

^^This..... like that here in Arizona. It's like that at any concert or sporting event I've been to, too. Most of the time, it only takes one 'sit down' because the people standing genuinely don't realize they were blocking people.

Sign in to follow this