Sign in to follow this  

I'm a massive U2 fan but if Bono continues with this "hands up don't shoot" nonsense,

I love U2, I love Bono, but like most Irishmen (and probably most people) he occasionally talks a load of sh ite,

Yeah, like 'most people' - you included!  :)

And yourself as well, we all do it.  :D  :D

There is massive scientific evidence/research going back decades that clearly establishes major biases against blacks in the US criminal justice system at all levels.  Whether a particular case (e.g., the Michael Brown situation) turns out to be due to excessive police action or not matters a great deal in each individual situation, but overall there is no reasonable dispute on the broader issue.  In particular, the upshot of any individual case has no real bearing on the overall, clearly biased situation--although, unfortunately, such cases are often treated as if they did.  Also, the relevant evidence/research, among other things, adjusts for the very different percentages of whites/blacks/etc. in the general population.  Without such adjustments, raw numbers are meaningless.

Thanks for talking me off the edge guys. It's a very personal issue for me. I'll continue to monitor each show. If it becomes a regular routine, I'll forgo attending. If it was a one off then I'll let it go. I'm traveling to Boston for the Friday/Saturday shows then I've got tickets in my hometown of NYC for the following Sat/Sun at MSG.

There is massive scientific evidence/research going back decades that clearly establishes major biases against blacks in the US criminal justice system at all levels. Whether a particular case (e.g., the Michael Brown situation) turns out to be due to excessive police action or not matters a great deal in each individual situation, but overall there is no reasonable dispute on the broader issue. In particular, the upshot of any individual case has no real bearing on the overall, clearly biased situation--although, unfortunately, such cases are often treated as if they did. Also, the relevant evidence/research, among other things, adjusts for the very different percentages of whites/blacks/etc. in the general population. Without such adjustments, raw numbers are meaningless.

In my experience I don't find that there are major police biases against blacks specifically. I think that the honest truth is that blacks have more interactions with the police because of the higher crime rate within black communities. Higher interactions results in higher negative interactions. Most people are so concerned with appearing racist that they don't want to acknowlege the high crime rate within the black community. Thats not to say that there aren't white communites with higher crime rates, it just sems that most high crime areas do have a large amount of African Americans residing in them. Thats not something I just made up, once again it can be proven statistically.

Edited by zootv77

It was definitely a reference to the racial climate in America these days. He even followed it up by saying that we needed Dr. King even more than ever. It stands to be seen whether or not this will be repeated, but if it makes you uncomfortable, then do stay home. We all know by now that Bono isn't afraid of wearing his politics on his sleeve, and he's said more inflammatory things than this in previous shows. 

A common thread through all of this: racism sux.

We should all take what actions we can to end it.

So, look, I'm not going to try and explain the whole thing to you, but realize it is one line, couched in one rant, in one song, in one show. There is a big complicated picture / play being presented, and you have to step back beyond outcomes and beyond law enforcement to take it in. You're rejecting the band for getting you emotional with that one line, when they are trying to do exactly that - provoke emotion.

For myself, on that specific outcome, I'm pro-camera on the police period: transparency over solidarity.

Sign in to follow this