Bono Speaks Out Against Music Piracy

censoredally

U2's Bono Speaks Out Against Music Piracy

24 Bit Music News

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/87005824/u2s-bono-speaks-out-against-music-piracy

One week after U2's album dropped and the disappointing sales numbers were tallied, Bono has decided it's time for him to speak out against illegaldownloaders. When the band's album was leaked by their own label a week before its release, Bono avoided making any comments, but now he isn't soindifferent.

"It's not the place for rich rock stars to ask for more money, but somebody should fight for fellow artists because this is madness," Bono toldUSA Today. "Music has become tap water, a utility, where for me it's a sacred thing, so I'm a little offended." In the case of No Line on theHorizon, the faucet for said "tap water" was Universal Music Group Australia.

Meanwhile, the RIAA is trying to imprison the leaker of Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy for making 400,000 illegal downloads possible by eager fans.That's right, prosecutors are adding every possible illegal download of Axl Rose's 13-year project of manic love to the charge against the 28-year-oldwho leaked the original 9 tracks. The RIAA claims the perpetrator, Kevin Cogill, was responsible for the record company losing $2.2 million in profits.

Here's a question: If someone is responsible for every illegal download after they are the first one to leak tracks, shouldn't Universal Music Group becharged for the U2 leak as well? I'm sure there are many reasons that will never happen, but shouldn't major record labels at least stop trying to makeexamples out of people for perpetrating crimes that they themselves can't help committing?

Well, as long as one does not adhere to the theory that the U2 leak was planned, one could argue that the Universal leak was a mistake, whereas the guy whoreleased guns and roses did so knowing full well it was illegal. I am sympathetic to the anti-piracy movement.

Bonos too busy with other things to fight piracy.

No better peacekeepers in the world than Canadians. So I got this one.

The solution to downloading is simple. SERVICE CHARGE STORAGE.

In Canada it is not illegal to place an item in a sharing folder. It does not constitute piracy. Nor does taking an item from one. What does constitute piracyis profiting from copyrighted material.

This is the second time Canada has had this debate. The first time was in the 70's when Cassettes became popular. Artists and the recording industry suedindividuals for recording off the radio and giving tapes with songs to thier friends. So you know what the supreme court of Canada did?

They imposed a service charge on every audio cassette purchased in Canada. The proceeds from this service charge went directly to the recording industry whodistributed it amongst thier artists. Simple,problem solved! This law has been recently updated to include modern recordable media including Opticaldiscs,video tapes,mp3's and ipods. There is talk of extending this law to all forms of mass storage. Hard drives etc.

People can't download massive quantitys of media if they have no where to put it.

Why the hell do they sell huge hard drives anyways? Only film makers and software manufacturers need that kind of storage. Do you need 500 gigs to storephotos? It would take you a lifetime to fill half that with pics and store bought cds. I know people with terabytes (t byte = 1000 gigs) of downloadedmaterial. All of us do!

If we could have this storage ser charge on a worldwide basis everyone would be happy. Artists get thier money and we get to download as much as we want. Therecord industry and Lars Ulrich don't look like big meanie bo beanies.

Service charge the hell out of the storage and give it to the artists.

Think about it. Do you know how many ipods and hard drives are sold everyday? Tens of thousand i'm sure.

On another note I do not believe downloading television shows is immoral or should be illegal. Because they MAKE YOU PAY THREE TIMES. That's right YOUHEARD ME THREE TIMES!

What most people don't recognize is that TV is the only media where you pay three times. First you pay your service provider for access to the shows. Thenyou pay to rent the box to aquire the signal. Then you pay the network to watch the individual show by suffering through endless commercials. Most of which arefor products you're never gonna buy anyways. (I don't care what Vince says I won't be saying WOW everytime). So actually i'm paying threetimes to get to my show.

Think about how ridiculous televison has become. I pay something like 80 bucks a month so my kids can watch tv and have Mcdonalds scarred into thier Pshyce. Ifthey watched TV as much as me i'd be downloading thier shows too!

I download all my favorite programs and watch them commercial free in my bedroom on my big screen tv/computer monitor. I don't apologize to anyone. I meani'm paying for cable and not even getting to watch the shows when I want. I have to contort my busy lifestyle to tv executives decisions. I paid tv. Theguy I downloaded from obviously paid tv too! TV unlike music isn't even on demand!

Movies are starting to go down the same path. You pay 30 bucks after tickets and candy and then you have to sit through b.s. comercials. You're payingtwice!

Radio you pay once. You get to hear the songs free but you have to listen to the commercials in between. Check out micropayment systems on WIKI.Describes how radio and other media profit from micropayments. Interesting stuff.

When you buy a CD for twelve lousy dollars you get : A portable ON DEMAND piece of media that you can reuse thousands of times. A caseto keep it in. A nice book with shiny pictures and words. And if you keep good care of it you'll probably die before it does. It's commerical free. Anda fresh CD smell.

A CD IS THE BEST VALUE IN THE WORLD OF MEDIA.

Music was on demand before any other major art form! You can legally copy that cd to your computer and onto your mp3. You own the rights to do what ever youwant for your personal use as long as you don't profit. You wanna copy the song and alter it? Go ahead , just don't sell it.

All that for the cost of two people walking through the door at starbucks.

Musicans are the ones who are truly being ripped off on the internet.

Honestly, does any actor have the creativity or gifts of a Michealangelo,Mozart,Picaso or Bono? HELL NO!

The problem with CDs is that they are antiquated. Something the record industry seems reluctant to admit. They have been around for nearly 25 years now. Yesthey are still as flat as a dime but they are also as round as a large grapefruit and very easy to damage. Who listens to portable cdplayers anymore? The portable music industry hasn't seen a device like the mp3 player. Portable music used to be for individuals. Now it is for the masses.Young and old. Not even the poorest people in my country use portable cd players. The only thing that seems to be keeping the cd afloat is the car stereo cdplayer. I know of tons of single moms on welfare with computers and internet access who could pay to download music to thier mp3. 90% Of homes in northamerica and europe proably have that capability by now.

Who is the record industry appealing to with the cd? I know i'm massivly contradicting myself by now but it is true. The CD is a Dinosaur.

Why is'nt the record industry attacking Microsoft or hardware maufacterers? Torrents and downloading brings them huge profits. Its a huge appeal of pcownership. IBM knowingly helped exterminate 6 million jewish people. You think they're gonna speak out for the record industry and against downloading?

SERVICE CHARGE STORAGE,GIVE IT TO THE ARTISTS!

P.S. All of this said i can assure you all i own 63 U2 cd's. All official,no pirates. Every album. Every single. plus cassettes,vinyl,dvds and vhs. Bonocan't say squat to me!

NLOTH seems to be at No.1 still in all the music stores I go to. I think torrents in general are wrong. Honestly, who uses torrents to share innocent materialwith friends and family? I think torrents should be made illegal. Or, as torrents pass through the network they should first have to be scanned for materiallike music, and it shouldn't be allowed passage over the network between people's computers.

Though about the album, I honestly think (while Get on Your Boots is a good track) a better track could have been sold as the single, like Breathe or Crazy.I'm comparing sales to their last album, and it hasn't reached anywhere near yet. It's safe to say that U2 fans would already have their copy ofNLOTH by now, so I wonder just how much more sales are going to rise?

• Subscriber

This is the second time Canada has had this debate. The first time was in the 70's when Cassettes became popular. Artists and the recording industry sued idividuals for recording off the radio and giving tapes with songs to thier friends. So you know what the supreme court of Canada did?

They imposed a service charge on every audio cassette purchased in Canada. The proceeds from this service charge went directly to the recording industry who distributed it amongst thier artists. Simple,problem solved! This law has been recently updated to include modern recordable media including Optical discs,mp3's and ipods. There is talk of extending this law to all forms of mass storage. Hard drives etc.

It's the same in my country... and I'm in favour for this system.

The thing I don't like is that the institution managing all this money keep most of to for themselves... :/

Kristaps said:

It's the same in my country... and I'm in favour for this system.

The thing I don't like is that the institution managing all this money keep most of to for themselves... :/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your right! The institutions handling this need to be made accountable to the artists. Overall though it is probably the best solution.

A bit off-topic I'm afraid...but there are examples of when downloading for free is a good thing.

When I knew Interpol were supporting U2 in Glasgow I wanted to listen to them before going to the gig, so I downloaded their albums via peer-to-peer software -Now I own their 3 albums.

I think there would be less illegal downloading if digital downloads were far cheaper than CDs as they should be.

If you actually like a band you'd probably want to own the CD, and if you don't like them enough then why should you have to pay $12 or so? I guessthat's what reviews are for...

Can't they invent "trial" mp3s that lock or encrypt after a few days once you've decided if you like the album enough? Maybe charge about $1to trial an album. I guess some technogeek can always hack the mp3s though...

• 3 months later...

Though technology helps me hear his Princely voice, which makes me extremely happiness which I so deserve, I am willing to do without it, to satisfy his needand that of the other artist because Piracy is a public theft of his gifts. It is their right to earn a living thru their art, gifts. But, when it comes toBono, I support him 100% because I feel offended myself when I find an album at a price that does not do U2 justice and it offends me that their music can bestolen right in front of their eyes by crooks who steal.(not the people who download them, the ones who provide it, those people; Being a victim of theftmyself, I am all for him. You know Bono, you are right, this technology is being used in many cases for the wrong purpose, I have just been robbed of $489 bysome UK lottery, when I can't even pay my attorney for a divorce. So, I support your coming out in public with it for the sake of the others. You areright. if I was you, I would be suing all these dishonest people giving away your music. One Love, One Life, One Prince Bono. I do love your music Prince.

Realm

No, I don't agree that a leak is great for publicity. It removes the element of surprise. I totally disagree, we all need U2 surprises. I like to get it onthe right time, with the rest of humanity, I do not like leaks. By the way, Prince, have you chosen a few songs for the future to be saved away as a gift tothem? I am dead serious about U2 doing this. You are that precious.

Realm