Let's try to get "U2 3D" shown in NYC when the band are here!

vertigojds

• Subscriber

The IFC Center in NYC (www.ifccenter.com) has previously shown "U2 3D" before during different film festivals and midnight showings.  I've been able to see it there a few times over the years since it's initial release, most recently in 2010.

I was thinking with U2 doing eight shows at MSG, with all of us U2 fans being in the area, it might be a lot of fun to see this amazing movie back on the big screen, either on one of the nights when U2 have a day off, or maybe a midnight showing we could go to after one of the concerts.  The IFC Center does midnight screenings of new and old movies every weekend, so they're used to this sort of thing.  They're also the kind of theater that will show an old movie that ties in with a new movie (for example, they've been showing the old "Mad Max" movie a ton lately with the new one in theaters), so this is the kind of tie-in thing they've done before.

I've sent an email to them mentioning the dates that U2 will be playing shows, and mentioned that a lot of U2 fans from around the world will be descending on the NYC area for the shows, and even the local fans will be feeling extra U2-ey around that time.  My one email isn't going to be enough to convince them, but if enough people write in, there's a good chance that they'll look into it.  The movie is available for theaters to rent, and it's all digital at this point, so it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive for them to do it if they thought demand was there.

So if this sounds good to you, and you'd like to see "U23D" on the big screen again, send the IFC Center an email (ifccinfo@ifccenter.com) and/or visit their website, and let them know you'd be interested in seeing it when the band is here in July! 

There are a bunch of good bars, bistros, and food carts in the area, so I'd be happy to meet up with some fellow fans before or after a screening if they decide to do it.

• Subscriber

That's a great idea - I'll send them an email about it. Hopefully we can get them to do it.

Awesome - I think every bit helps, thanks for writing them!  Their biggest theater only holds about 300 people, and the midnight screenings are usually attended by only a few dozen at most, so I think if we can get a couple dozen people to email, maybe that'll be enough to make them consider it.  I think having more people than just me will help :)  If you can spread the word to any U2 fans you might know who don't post on here, that can't hurt either.