Sign in to follow this  
She-rry

Alice in Wonderland confetti

There may be an obvious answer but it is not something I'm aware of so at the risk of my naivete here it goes . . . what is the significance of the Alice in Wonderland confetti at the ie concert? I'm not even sure what song was playing if that plays a part, I was in such a state of concert bliss that details are few.

I got one!

ow..lovely..lucky you...poor Alice, looks like she lost her head..! thanks for posting. 

Nice! Yes, thanks for posting. There are many many things to say about what's going on in this show and what you can "read" into it, though without band input (and I've been avoiding putting these kinds of questions in the interview thread) you can't be conclusory. I say that up front, and for me it really applies across anything I ever say about them - I may lean hard based on a probability I suspect, but I'm not conclusory.

Anyway, to cease avoiding your former question, you might think about how that book, Alice in Wonderland, relates to Innocence & Experience, whether Alice is a hat or role Bono is taking on in the show or through the songs, whether Alice inspired songs, why Bono is bringing these things out now & how it relates to his career overall, etc. Talk it up, most people are holding their cards (think Alice ;) ) close on this at the moment, but you'll see it all emerge soon enough...

Meant to say as well that page is from the start of Chapter II The Pool of Tears

Oh yes! And the chapter opens with Alice growing to such a tremendous size her head hits the ceiling. Just yesterday I was watching a video from the concert in LA that struck me as a probability where the song Until The End Of The World is being played. The video is not that great so I won't try to post here. Bono is projected larger than life on the video screen, I mean REALLY big and the Edge is on the extended stage in the same "frame" of the video screen jamming away little as little can be while Bono gestures toward him stretching out his hand and spitting a little stream of water on him. No kidding. Not so sure that gesture is Alice in Wonderland material (but it is a little bizarre), but the idea of Bono being huge, blown up in a mammoth size compared to the Edge's tiny and little size brought to mind the excerpt from the page. Also this is the song they played when the confetti is dropped. I didn't watch the video before posting my question. Interesting things to think about for sure.

See - I think that's great! No way of knowing if they connected those dots or if considering the book led to the visual or the technology & visual led to thinking about the book unless they tell us, but it enriches the show :)

Ah, Willie Williams in the new part of the livedesignonline.com interview gives it this spin: "There’s one which is a nod to David Bowie’s Sound and Vision tour, where tiny, live Edge plays whilst standing in King Kong-sized video Bono’s hand." I like your interpretation better though, and both can play :)

'Nother observation - they appear to have edited the text to fit a coherent bit on the page for at least some of the Alice pages.

Sign in to follow this