What kind of photo equipment can you carry in to MSG?

Mia10010

• Subscriber

Ok, my last question for today.....  I love how U2 are so cool about people taking pictures and using technology throughout their shows, but here's what I'm wondering......  I've splurged on a ticket to the Red Zone (1) for the very 1st show in the NYC series at MSG, and I really want to avoid any unfortunate surprises the night of the 18th, like finding out that they won't let me in with my camera.  (Since it's the first night, I won't be able to consult the forums beforehand to see what anyone else has reported back.)

I have a small Sony Nex 6 that is the best camera I have.  It's not as large a normal big ol' 35mm, but it does allow you to change to all sorts of lenses and get great images.  I'd love to bring it (it fits in my small shoulder bag, doesn't need a big camera bag of its own), I'm just wondering if either the MSG people or U2's event management people will have given any directives about what is and is not allowed.

I just want to bring it to get some good pix for my own enjoyment, not for any money-making reason.

On the last 360 tour at the Meadowlands, we were about halfway up in the arena and I brought a different Sony (same size, mre or less) and no one cared at all that I used it.

Does anyone know anything about this situation for this tour, as far as cameras go?  Maybe folks who've got friends who attended other shows on this tour?

Thanks, folks.

In Toronto the policy was no cameras with interchangeable lenses. Not sure whether they enforced the policy or not. If you re driving you could try and get it in and if you don't get it in drop it off in the car...but NYC is different, I dont think most people drive.

Good luck.

• Subscriber

Hi Mia, in general U2 allows non-professional cameras, and most venues end up defining "non-professional" as being a camera that doesn't have detachable lenses.  Since your camera does allow you the possibility of changing lenses, the security person you run into may consider it a professional camera and thus not allow you to bring it in.  If it were me, I'd probably err on the side of caution and leave it at home.  You'll probably still run into people inside the venue who end up having larger sized and more professional looking cameras, but that doesn't really matter if the security person who's line you ended up in has decided that your camera can't come in and takes it away from you or sends you home.  The Garden, in my experience, is very rigid when it comes to entering - I can't think of any recent show where I didn't get both a metal detector screening (usually the wands instead of the actual walkway thing) and some kind of patdown, so it won't be easy to hide a camera.  So essentially, you're going to be asked to open your purse, they're going to see the camera, and then it's really up to whether or not they decide it looks "professional" or not.  And then you're faced with the choice of either throwing away the camera and going in, or losing your spot in the GA or Red Zone line you've waited in to bring the camera back to your car or back home.

So that's just my two cents, to err on the side of being overly cautious.  I'll be going to the July 18th show as well (my first one this tour), but my seats are so high up that night that unless I had the Hubble telescope with me, I don't think there will be any photos worth taking from where I'll be.

Edited by vertigojds

• Subscriber

Just to circle back on this question that I raised last week, now that I've been to the first 2 shows this weekend, I wanted to report back in case anyone else is wondering for themselves.  For both shows I brought smaller point-and-shoot type Sony cybershots (the 2nd one was an older one, as back-up - yes, paranoid, I know).  :-)

But I noticed something interesting when I entered MSG on Sunday evening, as I waited on the security line to have my bag checked and get wanded over:  I saw the guy ahead of me on the line had a camera that was approximately the size of my aforementioned Sony Nex-6 strapped across his body, out in the open where no one could miss it.  And it looked like it had a small telefoto lens attached to it.  The security man just waved his wand over the guy's body, front and back, and declared him good to go.  Which has got me thinking that maybe I'll get there early for the next show (early enough to sprint home and back if I had to) and come to the show with my Nex-6 and see what happens.

Basically, I get the sense that as long as you're not showing up with a bulky camera bag containing a big 35mm and multiple big lenses, I think you're ok.

• Subscriber

I'd call MSG and tell them what camera you have and that it's got the capability to have changeable lenses.  They might let you in with a small lens and no additional ones, but definitely won't let you in with a massive 70-200 telephoto lens as you need a special media pass to bring that sort of equipment in.