UK not feeling it..

• Subscriber

Gonna see the band 3 times in London later this year but at the mo I'm not excited about it at all. I haven't read many reviews, seen set lists or watched YouTube for this tour like I would previous. I'm 46yrs old now been following them for 30+ years but not feeling the love this time around. Maybe when the tour gets here things might be different or maybe we've come to the end of the road U2 & Me ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Bono talks way too much for my liking, when introducing songs, giving us the background etc, it would be my guess that the majority of the fans at these shows are well aware of the background to these songs so we don't need the long winded intro to almost every one of them zzzzzzzzzzzzz, I want to go to a rock show not a jackanory show. Thats what happened at MSG the night I was there. 

• Subscriber

Gonna see the band 3 times in London later this year but at the mo I'm not excited about it at all. I haven't read many reviews, seen set lists or watched YouTube for this tour like I would previous. I'm 46yrs old now been following them for 30+ years but not feeling the love this time around. Maybe when the tour gets here things might be different or maybe we've come to the end of the road U2 & Me ?

Kind of how I felt.  And the setlist is heavy on their new album which is poor in my opinion.  It just isn't the same for me when I saw them this time around.  Go and try and enjoy it as you never know how it will be if you don't have an open mind.  Some fans will like everything they do no matter what and others will remember how it was in the 'good old days' and have a hard time with them measuring up to that.  It is an internal battle you will have to fight or accept it and move on.  

• Subscriber

I'm 46 too but avoided seeing them in London as of the band's last 3 shows in the UK, 2 of them (Manchester / London) were bloody awful for sound. We've (eventually) managed to get tickets for Turin so I'll let you know how it goes. I have to say what I'm looking forward to is the indoor venues, given the poor experience we've had on recent tours. 

I heard something interesting from the band today in that the show is divided into different parts. The first part being a rock n roll show before they move into a more choreographed set and on from there.. From what I've seen (on Youtube) the first 4 songs are up there with the best - U2 doing what they do best, with track 2 being any one from Two Hearts, Gloria, Electric Co or Out of Control.. For me they could do all 4 of those and forget some of the choreographed parts, although the video graphics look very, very good indeed. I'm reliably informed that the sound is amazing, so let's see. 

It will be interesting to see how the US shows differ from the European ones. Given some of the subject matter of the troubles it will be good to see how they tackle this in Europe - and especially London, given that the city was affected too. 

From seeing the band since the mid-80's the energy is not what it used to be, nor can we expect that, but the reviews are good and I'm sure they will have something great lined up for the London residency - perhaps even a special guest or two, who knows. I wanted to see these indoor shows as I'm unsure if it will be my last tour as I'd rather have great memories of tours gone by that to see a band going through the motions although, tbf, all the indications are that they're doing more than that this time round. 

• Subscriber

Parky, I think half the trouble is that we just don't feel things the same way as we did when we were young.

I have lived and breathed music since I was about 12/13. I remember buying Sounds, Record Mirror, Melody Maker and Kerrang! religiously every week and quickly reading them back to front just to see if any of my favourite bands had announced new gigs. (The pre-internet trickle of information seems ridiculous now!)

If new gigs were announced, I would have been queuing up outside the venue (usually Hammersmith Odeon) for hours and hours before they went on sale, to make absolutely sure I had the best tickets possible. I would then count down the days until the gig, even if it was months ahead. I would plan the day of the show with military precision, (including making sure I was wearing the perfect T-shirt). My excitement levels as the show approached were frankly ridiculous.

Now as I approach 50, I still enjoy going to gigs, but it can never get anywhere close to the obsessional devotion I had as a teenager.

Took me a while to get my head around it, but I have come to accept now that (for me at least), it is just a part of my evolution as an individual, and I just enjoy gigs at a lower level of intensity and don't worry about it.

Strangely I have tickets for 3 nights at the O2 as well.

Are you me in disguise? :)

• Subscriber

Parky, I think half the trouble is that we just don't feel things the same way as we did when we were young.

I have lived and breathed music since I was about 12/13. I remember buying Sounds, Record Mirror, Melody Maker and Kerrang! religiously every week and quickly reading them back to front just to see if any of my favourite bands had announced new gigs. (The pre-internet trickle of information seems ridiculous now!)

If new gigs were announced, I would have been queuing up outside the venue (usually Hammersmith Odeon) for hours and hours before they went on sale, to make absolutely sure I had the best tickets possible. I would then count down the days until the gig, even if it was months ahead. I would plan the day of the show with military precision, (including making sure I was wearing the perfect T-shirt). My excitement levels as the show approached were frankly ridiculous.

Now as I approach 50, I still enjoy going to gigs, but it can never get anywhere close to the obsessional devotion I had as a teenager.

Took me a while to get my head around it, but I have come to accept now that (for me at least), it is just a part of my evolution as an individual, and I just enjoy gigs at a lower level of intensity and don't worry about it.

Strangely I have tickets for 3 nights at the O2 as well.

Are you me in disguise? :)

Good post!  I think that is how I handle it.  I go to a fraction of the shows and relax in the back when I do go to them.  I do like seeing PJ every time and they are exciting and fun to watch and will always go out of my way to see them.  Great shows every time .  And Muse as well as some other smaller ones.  but now, with life being what it is, if I miss it....no biggie.  There is always another.  

• Subscriber

All I can say is that they are still good. The sound is really good, best I've heard in all my time seeing them since 87. Indoor gives a different feel.

And to allude to the starting post. Yeah, I didn't actually feel the buzz that in younger days I would have had maybe two to four weeks before a show, until the morning of the show when I was getting the train to New York to see an MSG show - turned to my missus and said , we're gonna see f'in U2 tonight. It kicked in.

We're all older, so's the band and 'mellowing with age' springs to mind. Maybe, maybe too much talk from Bono, but the experience is different and new.

From a northern Irish perspective you could see how the band was playing up to an American crowd, a New Yorker crowd - but isn't that what a good band is supposed to do? U2 have earned that right through the years by getting that balance right - most of the time.

Yeah, they might have to adapt some of the political elements slightly dependent on where they are playing geographically, but have they not always done that? I think the key message from them is, as before, the fight for justice, the fight for answers and the fight for truth and equality - it's hard to argue with that regardless of where your 'politics' lie, if indeed you even have a political persuasion.

For me personally, U2 have always been about the sound more than the lyric, about the drum thumping me in the chest, about the bass making the ground vibrate, about the guitar going off somewhere wild and melodic and back again to almost busking. The voice that can soar or recoil.

They can still deliver that, and they can still produce 'theatre' in an original format. What might have started in the early 80's with Bono climbing stage rigging with large white flags continues to have progressively been delivered through the years by the band, including this tour - so I left in no way disappointed or underwhelmed. I expect the 'U2 fan' for the most part will feel the same.

• Subscriber

I'm in the same boat too.

The last tour at Wembley was, well a little boring.

Many of the songs they played were those I had heard on the last 4/5 tours and even Unforgettable Fire seemed lacklustre after 20 years.

I have tickets for the first and last nights at the O2 this year and am hoping that between them I get to hear the songs I like.

The new album is ok (not great like so many here suggest) but the band seem to be ignoring the songs I have grown attached to and playing stuff like Song for Someone (so bland)!!

• Subscriber

Hope you get some different stuff than we did over here.  But, they are always so choreographed, I would;t get my hopes up.  Over here one song changed in the setlist was a big deal.  Which is par for the course for them.

Archived