• Subscriber

Cheers for the replies people, some great & valid points in there. I think as the UK dates from Vertigi & 360 didn't impress me to much, sound quality being the main contributor, that said I did catch Paris 2010 that was good. Still these shows are inside and I haven't seen that since ZooTV in '93, so that'll be interesting. I think it's true we don't have the excitement of our younger days until the gig gets nearer, part of growing older and having more responsibility I guess. Still as long as they play Like A Song I'll be happy ;) See you 30/10- 2/11- 3/11....Thanks again and enjoy the show wherever you are

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Gonna see the band 3 times in London later this year but at the mo I'm not excited about it at all. I haven't read many reviews, seen set lists or watched YouTube for this tour like I would previous. I'm 46yrs old now been following them for 30+ years but not feeling the love this time around. Maybe when the tour gets here things might be different or maybe we've come to the end of the road U2 & Me ?

This is how I felt when I bought my pre-sale tickets... (I just had my 47th birthday on 08 August.) There were a couple of songs on the new album that I liked, but for the most part, I wasn't terribly excited about most of the new songs. In May, my husband and I traveled from Dallas, TX to Phoenix, AZ to see both shows there. 

Words cannot even describe how the live shows completely changed my opinion. The new songs are so much better live. I feel like Bono is really connecting with the fans. I enjoy it when he talks and discusses the stories behind the songs.

In Phoenix, we stood outside the arena and saw Bono go in for the sound check. One of the fans from Arizona asked Bono if the band could please play "In God's Country" for the Phoenix fans - and they did! In Boston, the fans held up signs asking Bono to sing the "shine like stars" ending to WOWY - and he did. They've done a lot of things in response to the fans' requests. My husband was never a U2 fan at all - he just dealt with my obsession to be a good husband ;) but he actually said that he has a whole new opinion of U2 after this tour. He says he listens to their songs on his own now! :D

I feel like U2 are really on fire right now. Their passion is obvious - they all seem to be genuinely enjoying themselves. The shows seemed to evolve with each show they played here in the U.S. (Even though some people complained that the set list didn't change enough... the performance of the songs DID change in my opinion.) I watched many other shows on Periscope. What I witnessed in Phoenix was great; what I saw (via Periscope) in New York was amazing! I crave more!!! I wish I could come to Europe, but financially, we cannot make that happen.

Hopefully you will be very pleasantly surprised - like I was. :)

• Subscriber

I'm in the same boat too.

The last tour at Wembley was, well a little boring.

Many of the songs they played were those I had heard on the last 4/5 tours and even Unforgettable Fire seemed lacklustre after 20 years.

I have tickets for the first and last nights at the O2 this year and am hoping that between them I get to hear the songs I like.

The new album is ok (not great like so many here suggest) but the band seem to be ignoring the songs I have grown attached to and playing stuff like Song for Someone (so bland)!!

I don't like Song for Someone either. Definitely bland. Nor do I like Sweetest Thing. If I were Ali, I'd ask Bono to write me a more exciting song! ;)

However, I did truly enjoy the rest of the shows I saw. 

• Subscriber

Gonna see the band 3 times in London later this year but at the mo I'm not excited about it at all. I haven't read many reviews, seen set lists or watched YouTube for this tour like I would previous. I'm 46yrs old now been following them for 30+ years but not feeling the love this time around. Maybe when the tour gets here things might be different or maybe we've come to the end of the road U2 & Me ?

This is how I felt when I bought my pre-sale tickets... (I just had my 47th birthday on 08 August.) There were a couple of songs on the new album that I liked, but for the most part, I wasn't terribly excited about most of the new songs. In May, my husband and I traveled from Dallas, TX to Phoenix, AZ to see both shows there. 

Words cannot even describe how the live shows completely changed my opinion. The new songs are so much better live. I feel like Bono is really connecting with the fans. I enjoy it when he talks and discusses the stories behind the songs.

In Phoenix, we stood outside the arena and saw Bono go in for the sound check. One of the fans from Arizona asked Bono if the band could please play "In God's Country" for the Phoenix fans - and they did! In Boston, the fans held up signs asking Bono to sing the "shine like stars" ending to WOWY - and he did. They've done a lot of things in response to the fans' requests. My husband was never a U2 fan at all - he just dealt with my obsession to be a good husband ;) but he actually said that he has a whole new opinion of U2 after this tour. He says he listens to their songs on his own now! :D

I feel like U2 are really on fire right now. Their passion is obvious - they all seem to be genuinely enjoying themselves. The shows seemed to evolve with each show they played here in the U.S. (Even though some people complained that the set list didn't change enough... the performance of the songs DID change in my opinion.) I watched many other shows on Periscope. What I witnessed in Phoenix was great; what I saw (via Periscope) in New York was amazing! I crave more!!! I wish I could come to Europe, but financially, we cannot make that happen.

Hear, hear to the NYC shows. They were tremendous! I have to agree with the feeling of excitement I felt leading up to the shows, re: not too charged up until show day. With that said, the day of NYC #1 I was getting really amped as the day wore on. When we got to MSG, my wife (not a fan at all but a good trooper) really had to put up with me. The show was brilliant. They played October, which was a total surprise. The sound and visuals were something else.

For NYC 2, I was a bit tired. Yankee Stadium in a 34C/high humidity temperature wore us out. We got Gloria, Volcano, October again (fine by me, they might not play it again), and an impromptu Bad. I was right into it in no time at all. Watch for Cedarwood Road and Raised by Wolves. These two songs are different beasts live. Bullet the Blue Sky, which felt tired after the Vertigo tour, has a sharp edge again.

The band were on fire the first two nights. It seemed that they just kept on going for the remaining shows. Stay chill until the day of the show, but don't be surprised if you're blown away when the night is over. 

My wife described me as being a 5 year old at Christmas during the shows, that's how happy I looked. I told her, "No, more like an 8 year old at Christmas." She asks, "What would make you feel like a 5 year old again." I said, "My first U2 show. You only get to be 5 once."

• Subscriber

I think a lot of it is to do with the way the album came about etc.

I thought Invisible would be the single and I was excited by the sound on that single....then nothing for months....then no single to build things up the album just dropped out of nowhere. All the negativity around the Apple release. Then obviously Bono's accident. The confusion about the two night thing with the tour and so on. (Especially that god awful album artwork)

Ironically in hindsight its not a bad album at all but it was marketed and promoted SO badly and I think the hype for the tour suffered as a result.

• Subscriber

Got tickets for o2 but not looking forward to them as much as the past after the disappointment of my last show which was 360 at wembley.The sound was awful and even worse no where near loud enough and was not helped by playing lots of poor songs from nloth especially the awful boots.I do not like the new album too much apart from a couple of songs and hope they drop a few  but agree a couple of them sound better live.

• Subscriber

Got tickets for o2 but not looking forward to them as much as the past after the disappointment of my last show which was 360 at wembley.The sound was awful and even worse no where near loud enough and was not helped by playing lots of poor songs from nloth especially the awful boots.I do not like the new album too much apart from a couple of songs and hope they drop a few  but agree a couple of them sound better live.

I could have written this.. Was also at 360 at Wembley and the sound was terrible - sadly it was my lads first gig, so a bit disappointed given the ticket prices for where we were in the stadium too. Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly about Boots - possibly one of the worst U2 songs there is, for me anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Parky having just returned from Italy, where I saw the band in Turin, I thought I'd respond to your initial message again..  I'm the same age as you and so have been watching / listening to the band since around 83-84 but more closely from LiveAid and beyond.. I've got to say the aggro around ticket sales got to me this time; I had kept my pre-sale code for the Dublin shows and there were no shows announced but, thankfully, managed to get tickets for while we were in Italy. 

The days leading up to the show (2nd night) I got a little more excited but I think this has more to do with the fact that we arrived in Turin on the Thursday afternoon and show 1 was the next night. There was a buzz in the city with U2 fans wandering around in t-shirts and buses with U2 tour posters on them. The evening of the show I was buzzing, given that it's been since 1992/3 since I last saw the band indoors and the most recent outdoor venues had been poor. I've got to say the Italian fans were amazing, so excited and they created a wonderful atmosphere ahead of the show. 

Without too many spoilers, the first 4 tracks of the show was amazing - such a pace start for the band with little audience interaction. The one new song that surprised me the most was Iris, give the subject matter and the video - it was the artist (Bono) really putting himself out there, bare, for all to see. I wasn't looking forward to Sunday Bloody Sunday but it was good, came over well. Invisible was excellent too and the band were in good form throughout the gig. However, I do think that they have left little, or no, room for surprises. I knew the set-lists they've used so far on the tour and they didn't deviate from that really.  During the gig there was much talk of Pavarotti, as it was his birthday around the time, and a perfect opportunity to do Miss Sarajevo perhaps, or something a little ad-hoc but they didn't, instead relying on Desire and Angel of Harlem to try and get intimate with the audience on the 'e' stage. 

In all the U2 we see today - and have done since Zoo TV really - is a well-polished and choreographed band, with the video screens dictating much of what is said and played during the show. In fact I had watch some YouTube and read stuff on here ahead of the show so I actually knew some of which Bono was going to say - and he did, like a well-rehearsed actor going through his lines. I can't help but think that must be boring for the band as well as some of the audience who might have seen multiple shows. 

Considering the band are in their 50's they are very good but you'd expect that with a band who have been at the top of their game sine the early 90's. The sound was excellent and the show is polished and the visual very good, in most places. However they have a repertoire of 13 studio albums with around 11 songs on each (140-ish songs) plus some other project work. Getting just 25-35 songs from this isn't really stretching the band, for me. I enjoyed the gig but so much of this was about the audience; as I say the Italians were crazy for the show, which made it a fantastic experience. 

As it happened Dublin / Belfast was announced while we were away but I didn't rush online to buy tickets, despite having a pre-sale code, and won't be going. I will see the band again, I'm sure, but not on this tour as I don't think it's going to change or vary much so by night 3 you might be a little bored - who knows. I hope not though. One other thing, I doubt I will see the band in the UK again - the atmosphere was just so good in Italy - and I love the country so much - that I will probably only head there to see them in future. 

At 55 I'm not sure how many more major tours the band has in them; not that they're not fit enough but it must be boring for them just going through the motions on most nights. Now, if they scrapped the videos and just played on a stage - with perhaps a runway and another stage nearby, as on this tour - I think they could play almost any song they liked and vary it up most nights as they will not have to be slaves to visuals. It'd be back to The Joshua Tree Tour all over again and they could do what the hell they liked, making the shows unpredictable for all involved. Something they might find a little more exciting. 

I hope you enjoy London, I'm sure they'll be on form and have one or two surprises up their sleeves but I don't envy you having 3 nights of tickets - but that's just my personal view. Yours might be much different come November. 

• Subscriber

I'm hoping to "convert" my husband with this show too!

• Subscriber

I would go to the show with a neutral attitude and just see what happens. 

I imagine you will be lifted up - especially if the atmosphere is good.

It's probably best if you don't see the previews, it might spoil it a little.

Though for someone feeling half hearted about their fandom, you're going to see three shows???

I am having a renaissance of fandom. I was devoted  from about age 14-21, then distracted by life until about 3 years ago-

Suddenly it all came back to me, only with maturity the songs resonated on an even deeper level than before!

I personally can't wait for the Belfast show.