• Subscriber

Seeing U2 on opening definitely did nothing for me. My expectations of a band's live output changed after I saw 7 of 8 JAMES 2012 North American shows. Each was so different from the the other, I could scarcely believe I was witnessing such awesomeness in person.

JAMES set a bar that U2 unfortunately this time have not been able to. I hoped for the best since it was an Arena tour this time and the indoor Elevation Tour was incredible. But the screen is the show and not even getting to hear most of the new album live was a real letdown. And the cringe worthy version of a certain song. God...

I'll probably get rid of my U2 heritage if the next leg is as scripted and un-dynamic as 2015 was.

I want to believe instead of supporting a lie.

I agree that James are amazing, both bands make music and perform with soul and passion. It's unfortunate that the current U2 shows are to your liking.

I'm curious, which song was cringe worthy?

I haven't been to the Innocence show yet, so I can't comment.

I saw James last November, and it's great to be able to get tickets easily, and there isn't the great weight of expectation surrounding the shows that U2 always have...it's as if you don't have your mind blown with awesomeness then U2 have failed somehow- which is a bit tough!

(....however, I am truly expecting to have my mind blown with awesomeness, :P

I think it's a bit unfair to go to multiple shows and expect them to be different- that's not really the idea, most people I imagine will just be going once. If U2 were only as popular as James they would probably mix it up more and they wouldn't have, or need the massive productions they put on- so I agree in that way it's not a fair comparison.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only went to 2 shows expecting different results. Other than California (was great), Miracle Drug (great) and Bad (oh hell yeah) varying the two Vancouver shows, the show were static. I mean REALLY static. For an arena show not held down by the constraints of 360's giant LED screen, this is all they could do? Again this new LED screen holds back the full potential of what could/should have been their best tour ever.

The song I do not like is this piano only version of 'Every Breaking Wave'. It is so dull, a lot of longtime fans have told me they refer to it as the moment when they can go take a toilet break. That's sad. It should have been full band like on the album because the full band version IS the right version.

Contrast this with 360 of which none of the new songs had a dull delivery. Even the Redanka version of 'I Know I'll Go Crazy (If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight)' was not dull. 

• Subscriber

Sigma it's about opinions; for me Get On Your Boots is a dreadful U2 song, and therefore I think the delivery is always dull, but for many they will love it.

With EBW I would prefer to see a semi-accoustic version, more akin to the New Radio Mix that was put out a while back, that starts on the piano and then ends with the whole band coming in like they have done with tracks before now, although I can't recall one off the top of my head (maybe Elevation?). 

I'm not sure what the answer is to this, perhaps the band have put themselves in a corner by wanting to get closer to the audience (with the video screens) and, in turn, that has squeezed the opportunity for them to vary things up much. I really am surprised that Troubles has not featured more as I really rate this song as one of their finest for many years and Lykke Li's haunting vocals would be perfect to end the show or at least one of the set-lists, especially as I think the end of the shows doesn't have a natural closer - unless they play 40 of course.. I really do love the video screens they're using on this tour; that with the arena gigs means that the band are closer than ever to the audience - it really is a great idea that only a band like U2 could pull off so cleverly. Three of the stand out moments for me were Iris, Invisible and UTEOTW - none of which could have been accomplished without the LED screen. Iris in particular took on a whole new level with Bono talking and looking directly at his mother. In Turin there were many around me (including me I might add) who felt the emotion in that song in a way many of us might not have expected - Iris is this tour's Kite or Sometimes You Can't Make It where the singer really lays himself open and bare to the emotion of the lyrics. 

That said we can't always blame the band though; I mean the only reason we have such full access to set-lists and updates on shows is because of the social media element. Back in the day you would go to a show and just get what you were given, whereas today you can go to a gig and pretty much know what to expect and that takes away some of the fun and surprise element. The only way to combat that is for individuals to ignore social media platforms and gig updates, or for 'spoiler' warnings to be included in gig reviews!! 

• Subscriber

Now, if they scrapped the videos and just played on a stage - with perhaps a runway and another stage nearby, as on this tour - I think they could play almost any song they liked and vary it up most nights as they will not have to be slaves to visuals.

Is there any evidence they want to do that, though? Everything directive about the design of this tour seemed to come from the band...

This is not U2 at the top of their game. Playing it "safe" is not being at the top.

Who gets to decide what is safe for them if not them?

The only way to combat that is for individuals to ignore social media platforms and gig updates, or for 'spoiler' warnings to be included in gig reviews!! 

Seems like once you're reading a gig review, you've crossed the point of spoiler warnings...

• Subscriber

Just wait until you see this show. The passion will come back at you and hit you in the face by the third song.

You said it so right jaimea!!!

I was a little bit worried before the show, think maybe i already seen the best of U2....... But already inside the venue I feel something (good) and when "people got the power" start and Bono walk in I was lost (again). They blew me right back to everything I always loved!!  Thank you U2 for the best night ever for my daughter and I <3

"Even Better Than The Real Thing"

• Subscriber

Sigma it's about opinions; for me Get On Your Boots is a dreadful U2 song, and therefore I think the delivery is always dull, but for many they will love it.

With EBW I would prefer to see a semi-accoustic version, more akin to the New Radio Mix that was put out a while back, that starts on the piano and then ends with the whole band coming in like they have done with tracks before now, although I can't recall one off the top of my head (maybe Elevation?). 

That said we can't always blame the band though; I mean the only reason we have such full access to set-lists and updates on shows is because of the social media element. Back in the day you would go to a show and just get what you were given, whereas today you can go to a gig and pretty much know what to expect and that takes away some of the fun and surprise element. The only way to combat that is for individuals to ignore social media platforms and gig updates, or for 'spoiler' warnings to be included in gig reviews!! 

Agree with all of that.

In fact I would add that the growth of the internet seems to have mirrored the growth in the whining and sense of entitlement many seem to display now. I remember walking away from gigs in the past chatting to mates about what had or hadn't been played, but if something was omitted it warranted no more than a 'shame they didn't play so and so' and no more.

I also don't understand those who express their opinions as if they were hard and fast facts.  Remember any band can present themselves however they want on any tour. They can change everything every night or nothing. There is no right or wrong. There are many successful examples of all ends of that spectrum out there.

Mini rant over.. for now. :)

• Subscriber

Saw this snippet of Bono's teleprompter on a MSG bootleg, and thought this might put to rest the notion that U2 has any desire to really mix up the setlist every night.

Since it is hard to read. The teleprompter was between the first and second song, as they were about to go into Out of Control.

It reads: "We're a band from the Northside of Dublin called The U2. Let's do this"  :)

So, if he's scripting THAT in advance every night, it just doesn't seem like a new setlist all the time is really in the cards. No?

post-385858-0-39630100-1443863502_thumb.png

• Subscriber

Agree with all of that.

In fact I would add that the growth of the internet seems to have mirrored the growth in the whining and sense of entitlement many seem to display now. I remember walking away from gigs in the past chatting to mates about what had or hadn't been played, but if something was omitted it warranted no more than a 'shame they didn't play so and so' and no more.

I also don't understand those who express their opinions as if they were hard and fast facts.  Remember any band can present themselves however they want on any tour. They can change everything every night or nothing. There is no right or wrong. There are many successful examples of all ends of that spectrum out there.

Mini rant over.. for now. :)

Bolding the bits I agree with most.

• Subscriber

Saw this snippet of Bono's teleprompter on a MSG bootleg, and thought this might put to rest the notion that U2 has any desire to really mix up the setlist every night.

Since it is hard to read. The teleprompter was between the first and second song, as they were about to go into Out of Control.

It reads: "We're a band from the Northside of Dublin called The U2. Let's do this"  :)

So, if he's scripting THAT in advance every night, it just doesn't seem like a new setlist all the time is really in the cards. No?

attachicon.gifu2.png

Yeah, must say that threw me a bit. Kinda puts spontaneity in it's box. Still...I will follow. Personally I'd like them to call it a day at the end of this tour be it 2015, or after a potential further leg maybe next year. I really don't want them to do a 'Rolling Stones' or 'The Who' type of on and on. They've given us so much. They have nothing to prove.

• Subscriber

U2 has always (or at least for many years) been pretty scripted in performance--although at the same time, they still genuinely shake things up periodically.  In any case, I certainly don't see their performing scriptedness (particularly since it's nothing at all new) as any reason for them to "call it a day"--rather, that would be when they lose interest in making and performing serious new music.  And there's no sign of that, is there?  And this is not a question of having anything left to prove, which of course they don't.