• Subscriber

Jaanakulo

Looking back on Zoo TV (and as a veteran of many 100s and 100s of gigs of many bands), I think that was almost the best it has ever got (except maybe for Queen in their prime :) ). U2 were arguably at their creative peak, and came up with a show and presentation that was as near perfect as any band before or since has managed.

360 was also fantastic, and I think they achieved their aim of making a stadium sized crowd pretty intimate. I saw 4 of those shows and they were excellent. 

I think the essential problem now, is that they have set the bar so high that it is almost impossible to even get close to it. That they still manage to even be in the same ball park in 2015 is impressive in itself.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Maybe I have been to different shows than you guys but in my humble opinion this tour is way better than 360 :)  And the band seems to have much more fun, too, so I don't see any reason why they should call it a day (Bono even confirmed that in a recent interview). I am hoping for many, many more shows and years to come :) As far as tickets go, it's surprisingely easy to score GAs this time, you just have to know where to look for them (Dublin is a different story of course).

Edited by jenny1980
  • 2 weeks later...

Hands down for me, none of the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE shows I saw even touches the North American 360 shows I saw. Opening night and all this past May just did not live up to the feeling I felt first encountering 360 in Arlington going forward.

What's sad is these days I look at my U2 collection I spent years finding and thinking I should sell it off and just put it toward the house my Mom will never see.

Edited by Sigma957
  • Subscriber

The crowd in the concert was amazing and the overall feeling truly warm. Every Breaking + October was a silencing, beautiful experience and to have that made it all worthwhile - traveling for days and walking for hours. However now, after following the tour by meerkat and Twitter (and many thanks for U2Gigs and the stream have listened to over again) it is pretty much the same every night. 

Instead there is footsteps to take in a certain time (like Larry with the drum), the play, books to be destroyed on stage, speeches with the same words, poses on the right angles for the screen. It is a bit too still, a bit too manuscripted, and lacking energy. 

I went to Turin 2 and the crowd were just amazing. I'm loving the arena shows, as opposed to the stadiums, but I agree with you in that the band are too restricted to the visuals - this was something Bono admitted to in a recent interview for Radio 2 in the UK; although he said there were 'one or two' marks they need to hit the number is far greater. Considering Bono talks about U2 coming out of punk the spontaneity of punk is being missed; I just don't get the spurting water over the crowd or book ripping - it's too orchestrated to be interesting.  

Looking back on Zoo TV (and as a veteran of many 100s and 100s of gigs of many bands), I think that was almost the best it has ever got (except maybe for Queen in their prime :) ). U2 were arguably at their creative peak, and came up with a show and presentation that was as near perfect as any band before or since has managed.

360 was also fantastic, and I think they achieved their aim of making a stadium sized crowd pretty intimate. I saw 4 of those shows and they were excellent. 

I think the essential problem now, is that they have set the bar so high that it is almost impossible to even get close to it. That they still manage to even be in the same ball park in 2015 is impressive in itself.

I agree on some points, not others.

Zoo TV was indeed the band at their creative peak - although yet still not as knowledgeable as they are now - they pushed the boundaries. It's all about perspectives of course but 360 was crap, in my opinion. Visually very appealing but the sound was awful and the 'new' songs found wanting.. 

For me the bar is only high on a visual footing - they're using technology and want to keep improving; I'd rather they concentrated less on the visuals, allowing greater and more spontaneous creative freedom in the music. I love this show, don't get me wrong, but I feel for those who got tickets to most night 1 and 2 shows because, apart from the odd exception, they follow rigid setlist that do not include some of the tracks we love hear most (Gloria, Bad, 40 etc). 

Maybe I have been to different shows than you guys but in my humble opinion this tour is way better than 360 :)  And the band seems to have much more fun, too, so I don't see any reason why they should call it a day (Bono even confirmed that in a recent interview). I am hoping for many, many more shows and years to come :) As far as tickets go, it's surprisingely easy to score GAs this time, you just have to know where to look for them (Dublin is a different story of course).

Agreed re 360 - completely and if the band keep making great music then why shouldn't they continue. People have said SOI doesn't have many great songs but Iris live was a real highlight and a point where I felt that the artist had exposed his innermost feeling to the audience, it was very moving. I still cannot for the life of me understand why The Troubles has not featured - it's a wonderful track and would have made a great (and fitting) end to the first set. 

• Subscriber

Agreed re 360 - completely and if the band keep making great music then why shouldn't they continue. People have said SOI doesn't have many great songs but Iris live was a real highlight and a point where I felt that the artist had exposed his innermost feeling to the audience, it was very moving. I still cannot for the life of me understand why The Troubles has not featured - it's a wonderful track and would have made a great (and fitting) end to the first set. 

Totally agreed, I love The Troubles and it's kind of sad they have never played it in Europe. But on the other hand I am glad they keep the new material in the setlist at all (unlike 360 that quickly turned into a greatest hits show). Iris is amazing live, as are Raised By Wolves and Every Breaking Wave. And the opener, too. I actually love SOI, so the more new songs the merrier :)

• Subscriber

Thought iris was one of a few low points the big indicator is the fact the noise level in the arena  is flat during all the new songs except maybe cr just the same as 360 was with the new stuff how embarrassing was boots?

I saw London 3 and 4, and loved them so much I bought a ticket for Monday (didn't hiurt that it was Row J in Block 111 for face value on the AXS website) ...

I agree about Zoo TV being the best tour ever by an band, but this is way better than the 360 Tour in my view...for me this is the best they've been since the Zoo TV Tour.

BTW, Zoo TV Tour was very heavily scripted, because of the technology, they hardly changed the songs in each leg of the tour...whereas on this tour it does make sense to see 2 shows back to back to see more songs...

• Subscriber

London night 1 was the best gig of my life. It's fine for something to be scripted as long as it's done well, and for me that was an example of doing it well. WOWY drew a tear to my eye, that's never happened at a gig before, so...yeah. Looking forward to doing it again on Tuesday.

• Subscriber

Ok, as I originally posted this and now I've seen show 1 of 3 it was ok. I liked the visuals and seeing the band close up was good. I'm the same as many on here and have followed the band for 30+ years and grown older with them. I have to admit that when they got into the set I was really enjoying it, and appreciated that the band were "tight" and it was a polished performance. At the end of the day U2 are a business and have to perform and promote theirselves in that way. I suppose it's just that even 5/6yrs ago when you're younger you just approach gigs differently, Perhaps I'm just getting cantankerous, that said I'm going again tomorrow with a mate who hasn't seen them since '87 and again on Tuesday with a mate who's not seen them before. So I will look forward to the next two nights because even if I'm not particularly overwhelmed I truly appreciate the sound of U2 Live.. Sláinte

• Subscriber

While I'd definitely like more variety, less scriptedness, etc. as well, for me the real issue is (IMHO) I don't think they are playing that well now--either instrumentally or vocally.  When they're playing well, I don't care about the other issues, because I'm simply transported by the mind-blowing-goodness of the music.  And for those above who say this tour is (e.g.) better than 360, compare the playing/singing on, for example, the Nashville TN US 2011 gig with any show from the SOI tour.  IMHO, the SOI gigs aren't even close to the better 360 (or better Vertigo, or better Elevation) performances.  I did just download a boot of London 3, and that sounds a bit better than earlier in the tour, which is good--but still nowhere near the level of at least a decent percentage of shows from earlier tours.