GA in Amsterdam

Gogme United

• Subscriber

So, I've seen the first two shows in Amsterdam and am really delighted! Great shows! If you read the reviews in the Dutch papers then it's clear that everyone, even some old grumpy journalists, is really excited over U2's performance. 

The first night I had seating places and met a lovely couple from Argentina, the traveled to Europa to see U2 and picked Amsterdam as the place to be. Great choice :-)

The second night I had GA and decided to go a bit earlier then I was planning to. I saw the queue outside the venue the first night and was a bit scared of the length. So I arrived at 16:30-ish and found a reasonable queue. It's hard to say how many were in front of me, but I suppose it's about 500 or so. While standing there security gave out wristbands to decide if you were Northside, of Southside. They refuged to swop by the way, so I ended up in the Northside. 

The atmosphere was great, people went out of the queue to get drinks, food or the loo, everyone was calm and relaxed. At about 5 pm, just 1 ½ hours before the doors would open I checked my ticket and discovered I brought the wrong ticket :-( So I rushed home, calling my girlfriend she had to print out the right one, rushed back and arrived in the queue at 18:15. Luckily I could enter back in the queue. 

Security had divided the first group (about 250?) from the rest, so they could enter first, then the next 'wave' was permitted to enter and I was part of that. When I arrived inside I discovered that all 'railing' spots were taken, so I headed to the Red Zone, which is located from the front of stage into the floor. I got myself a spot right in front of the redzone, which was 5 meters from both the stage and the catwalk! Really convenient to have the barrier of the red zone in your back, as no one can push you and you can sit at it.

During the concert some friendly guys inside the red zone were happy to get me beers (red zone has it's own bar), so everything worked out brilliantly! Personally I think this was the best spot in the house, as both the band and the screen are visible. 

So if you're planning to queue for GA this weekend I think arriving at about 16:00 gets you a great spot, unless you're aiming for a spot on the railing, then you have to be there in the early morning. 

Too bad, cause you cannot visit Amsterdam and have to wait in line in the twilight zone of an area full of office buildings, a concert venue and a large football stadium... 

• Subscriber

That's what they told me when entering the venue: "We can always check in the computer." But in that case I had to wait for half an hour and that's too long if you want to secure a good spot.

@poetdownhere: You're welcome. Please keep in mind that it's weekend and no one has to work, so the queue might start a bit sooner, but on the other hand most die-hard fans just bought tickets for the first two shows.

• Subscriber

I had GA for the first night and I arrived at 3 pm.

i was standing next to Boca Cafe (?) in the queue. maybe 500 people in front of me.

One hour later the queue was already under the bridge.

Ziggo Dome has the largest floor of the whole tour. (or one of the largest) 

I was standing front row at the E-stage on the southside, the stairs where Bono came up the stage was in front of me.

But i think you have to be lucky.

A lot of the 500 people went to the main stage, it was already very crowded over there when i walked into the GA.

Edited by u2akira

• Subscriber

I had GA for wednesday, but got there pretty late and started queueing at, I think, about 6.15pm. At the time the queue was very long and at that point they were handing out the north/south wristbands at the entrance. But I found there was no check at all at the floor entrances and could walk in and out of both sides. I think they just need to sort the first bulk of people and after that it would sort itself out. 

• Subscriber

True, when I walked in there was a guy handing out wristbands. There where separate doors for entering the Northside and Southside, but once inside you can swop without a problem I think.

BTW, if you can choose, I think Northside is the best as the view on the catwalk is obstructed by a camera/crane sometimes on the Southside.

Edited by Gogme United