Sign in to follow this  
phill pohl

Props v simple stage show

I get your point, I agree :  the I+E tour is U2's most staged, boring and tired tour yet....

Were you actually at any of the gigs? I actually experienced it in the flesh and it was the complete opposite of what you said.

Edited by peterferris8

Let's compare this tour's European leg with 360's first European leg. Just playlist, just dry numbers.

Number of shows:

• I+E: 40 shows played
  • 360: 24 shows played

Number of different songs played during these shows:

• I+E: 44 different songs played
  • 360: 35 different songs played

Number of albums represented:

• I+E: Songs from 15 U2 albums played
  • 360: Songs from 12 U2 albums played

Number of snippets:

• I+E: 67 different snippets played
  • 360: 57 different snippets played

Opening songs:

• I+E: The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), opened all shows
  • 360: Breathe, opened all shows

Closing songs:

• I+E: One, 40, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, People have the Power
  • 360: Moment of Surrender, closed all shows

Average Song Count per Show

• I+E: 25,38 (shortest 23 songs, longest 27 songs)
  • 360: 22,83 (shortest 22 songs, longest 24 songs)

Conclusion? Comparing first European leg of I+E and 360 tours we can see that I+E gets all the prizes except one (opening song.. that's a tie)... On average each show had more songs played, and playlist (both full songs and snippets) was more diverse. Also, unlike 360, I+E had diversity in the closing song. 

wanderer i saw them at leeds and u2 at the o2 which is a bit bigger but was in redzone.As for the first half of the show personally found the new stuff the least enjoyable especially song for someone i thought people were going to fall asleep.The biggest barometer is the crowd reaction so whilst a few of you liked it it fell really  flat for the majority .The fact is most people wanted to hear the older much better songs the noise level was up there during and after these songs.Everyone i spoke to felt the same , my misses isnt really  a fan but she loved the  vertigo tour was ok for 360 but wasnt keen this time and wont be coming again she said .I expected it to be so much better being my first indoor gig with u2 but without a doubt these gigs look better on tv  than being there even paul m said it about popmart but have to admit i actually loved that.Maybe i just prefer the traditional stage.

It is very interesting how much a crowd can make or break our own experience even with a long running band like U2. I was lucky to see this tour multiple times, and every time was surrounded by people who enjoyed the whole experience: songs / staging / setlist.

----J

I get your point, I agree :  the I+E tour is U2's most staged, boring and tired tour yet....

After watching most of the HBO special (missed the first half), I'd say one of their most downbeat and depressing. Maybe being after the Paris attacks soured the mood, but the band doesn't seem to be enjoying themselves much at all.

Edited by Grande 3:16

After watching most of the HBO special (missed the first half), I'd say one of their most downbeat and depressing. Maybe being after the Paris attacks soured the mood, but the band doesn't seem to be enjoying themselves much at all.

Glad to see there's someone out-there who understands me without further explanations !!!

Sign in to follow this