Wah, Wah, Wah Wandering

kiss_the_sky

• Subscriber

I agree with the decision to go with Johnny's version on the album, though this one is quite nice. Ever heard the do-wap version of "Heaven and Hell" on the Auchtung Baby anniversary set? What about the Zeppelinesque 9 minute version of "Love is Blindness?"

Ah, but I digress.

I do have another bone to pick, however.

U2 was reportedly miffed that Zooropa won best Alternative Album, instead of best rock or pop album. Hmm. They consciously chose to exclude pop and rock tunes from the final album in favor of more artsy stuff.

I find their consternation disingenuous.

:  )

• Subscriber

Zeppelinesque???  9 minutes?   It's 7 minutes on the Kindergarten and that's ENO doing the strings and synths and sounds nothing like John Paul Jones' style !!!

The Wanderer?  Nice version but I prefer the Zooropa-album version....it's much more deep and profound.....With Johnny singing and making you think "I thought I heard the Master's voice" with U2 backing vocals, some of the best backing vocals I ever heard ....Plus the MUSIC which is TOPS !!!!

Edited by pain_18_

• Subscriber

And that Doo-Waap (or whatever) on Heaven and Hell...that's  trying to balance off the sour and ironic tone of the song, make it a little funny and playful, although I think it's brilliant with or without the  Waap, Shuuuuwaaaps !  Some of Bono's BEST lyrics ever.....Going deep into the contradictory nature of the human being...the fight between two faces of duality !  WITH extraordinary music to accompany them !!!  I consider great music, well...great music...Doesn't matter HOW it's called.....Could be called "Clapping in the parking lot while whistling"-genre for all its' worth.......I remember Larry (and the other U2ers) talking about this in one of the more recent interviews......And they're saying just that.....that it doesn't matter....what's great is great !!!   I'd take ARTSY over boring, commercial stuff Millenial-oriented on any day  !

Edited by pain_18_

• Subscriber

Zeppelinesque???  9 minutes?   It's 7 minutes on the Kindergarten and that's ENO doing the strings and synths and sounds nothing like John Paul Jones' style !!!

The Wanderer?  Nice version but I prefer the Zooropa-album version....it's much more deep and profound.....With Johnny singing and making you think "I thought I heard the Master's voice" with U2 backing vocals, some of the best backing vocals I ever heard ....Plus the MUSIC which is TOPS !!!!

Only 7 minutes? It felt like 16. I kept waiting for Edge to pull out the bow and play his guitar.

:  )

• Subscriber

Yeah.......But  he didn't.....There's much more Edge craziness on the Album-Version.....However, I wish we'd get all the takes they did on Achtung Baby.....from the Pre-Hansa-Moments to the weeks they finished the album....It would probably be 12 CDs or a lot of FLAC files......But I'd buy that BOX-SET or Download-Right.....Same goes for Zooropa and *POP* !!!