Planning first trip to Dublin

Habib2342

• Subscriber

hey y'all

I'm planning a trip to Dublin this summer. Been a U2 fan since way back but I have never been to Dublin and i need to put this right asap.

Can anyone tell me what u2 related places, things to do, places to stalk the band ( ok maybe not the latter as I would risk the ire of the millions of fans out there ) over the bank holiday period in August ? At the top of my head I'm thinking Windmill Studios, Bono's House ( maybe thats going to far ) and the clarence hotel...

much appreciated.

Habib.

• Community Moderator

Unfortunately, Windmill Lane was torn down a few months ago. You can still see Hanover Quay though. You could visit Captain America's on Grafton Street for a nice lunch and a look at a good bit of memorabilia. You could also visit the Little Museum of Dublin (I think they still have the U2 exhibit.) I also highly recommend Kilmainham Gaol, not only because it's where they filmed the "A Celebration" video, but it's a major part of Dublin's history. There's also the Docklands. And yes, go check out the Octagon Bar at The Clarence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Unfortunately, Windmill Lane was torn down a few months ago. You can still see Hanover Quay though. You could visit Captain America's on Grafton Street for a nice lunch and a look at a good bit of memorabilia. You could also visit the Little Museum of Dublin (I think they still have the U2 exhibit.) I also highly recommend Kilmainham Gaol, not only because it's where they filmed the "A Celebration" video, but it's a major part of Dublin's history. There's also the Docklands. And yes, go check out the Octagon Bar at The Clarence.

u2 exhibit is a permanent one at the little museum and at the moment each thursday the entrance is free of charge between 6pm and 8pm. At the moment the price is 8 euro with 10% discount if bought on line

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I went to Ireland a few years ago and did walk down where Windmill Lane Studios was, however it was a little disappointing as there wasn't much there except for a plaque and all of the vandalizing, and like everyone has listed, I hear the area has been torn down since I've been there. One place I did find myself and I was quite thrilled to find was the castle used on the cover of "The Unforgettable Fire." It's called Moydrum Castle, and it's sorta hard to find, plus it's technically private property so all you can pretty much do is take pictures of it. Doesn't quite look the same as the vegetation has complete taken over the castle. It's in the middle of Ireland near Athlone. I tried to visit Slane Castle, however it was closed that day, so I pretty much just took a picture of the entrance. 

• Subscriber

Next year, I would like to go,an wander around. Moydrum Castle sounds magical. As far as tourism goes Ireland is the ultimate. It's my dream vacation. I have the U2 map so definitely a couple of days there.