How are you killing time this summer?

kiss_the_sky

• Subscriber

Well, here we all are, waiting for the tour to resume.

What have y'all been doing with your free time, now that you haven't been worrying about getting tickets for the next show?

Since summer is half over, I thought I'd share with you what I've been doing.

Things kicked off with a Springsteen show from "The River" tour. I love the Boss. Love him. But it isn't the same kind of love I have for u2. U2 is spiritually elevating, my gateway to another world. I feel a oneness with the universe while listening to them while running. The endorphins kick in and pretty soon it's difficult to distinguish between runner's high and a spiritual connection. I get this same feeling in concert with u2. As for Springsteen, I hear him the same way I hear classical music. I'm catching the vibe, becoming one with the vibe. It's not the same experience as with u2, but both are quite powerful in their own way. The Springsteen concert, then, can't really be compared to u2, since they aren't the same kind of concerts for me. But the Boss gets a solid B for his 3+ hour effort (However, the grade might deserve an upward revision because through the concert I got turned on to his live download site for over 50 full concerts, and, well, you can figure out the rest).

From the Boss we moved on to Macca. I've seen Pmac several times recently, most of them outside. He always gets strong reviews, and, truth be told, the concert itself was pretty good music-wise. It was the crowd that disappointed me. I'm 51, and the crowd was still too staid for me. No singing, no dancing. Just chillin. I will, however, take credit for one song being added to his setlist. Before  the tour started I posted a message on his Facebook site, telling him he better start performing a few old Beatles songs while he still could, even if they were technically "Lennon" songs. I recommended "Hard Day's Night." And so it became his lead-off song for the tour (I realize I probably had nothing to do with this decision. But, you know, I like to stroke my own ego on occasion :  )

And, then, finally, we come to the coup de gras. Coldplay. Never seen them before, and so I decided to do with them what I did with u2 last summer, namely follow them around  the US. Three concerts in six days. It was quite fun, if tiring. Although I have tickets for Dallas, the three concerts proved sufficient, as did my three last summer with u2. After you've seen a band perform 100 songs in a short period of time, I think it's safe to say you have a good "feel" for them.

Interestingly, in the last concert -- Boston -- the concert was preceded by an instrumental that sounded very much like With or Without You. Oh boy. I had hopes. But it didn't materialize. Bono never came out. Oh well.

So that's about it gang.

Just killing time until u2 hits the road again . . .

^^What Duran Duran! I'm so jealous. Never seen them live. They were supposed to come here some years ago, but the tickets didn't sell so they cancelled...

I've seen Suede, it was fun. Either than that been writing for a bit, been out in the archipelago, travelling a bit. Also been sitting in my backyard with a coffee and listening to the birds chirp away.

• Subscriber

The Cure and Springsteen are great live acts. Seen them both a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed both gigs. 

So far this summer I've been mainly doing some gardening work to make myself a bit of money. Had my first job interview with Sainsbury's, didn't get through but still good experience. I've been to see a couple of local gigs where my friends are playing, went to London for a meal to celebrate my dad's birthday, and currently I'm watching The Young Ones (again). Later in the month I'm going to Reading Festival to see a whole bunch of my favourite bands. Very much looking forward to it, been to Reading every year since 2012 apart from 2014.

• Community Moderator

^^What Duran Duran! I'm so jealous. Never seen them live. They were supposed to come here some years ago, but the tickets didn't sell so they cancelled...

I've seen Suede, it was fun. Either than that been writing for a bit, been out in the archipelago, travelling a bit. Also been sitting in my backyard with a coffee and listening to the birds chirp away.

Duran Duran were so fabulous.  I've seen them several times but this one was super cool because Nile Rodgers and Chic opened for them and then Nile came out and played a couple of songs with them.  Love seeing them.  If you ever get another chance, I recommend going.

Duran Duran were so fabulous.  I've seen them several times but this one was super cool because Nile Rodgers and Chic opened for them and then Nile came out and played a couple of songs with them.  Love seeing them.  If you ever get another chance, I recommend going.

Yea, thinking of actually going to the UK to see them live.