The reminiscence or reflection thread

yardie

• Subscriber

Not so much about how many concerts you've been to, or how many cities you've hopped across to see the band in the course of your lifetime thus far. No.

This is more about reflecting on your moments, the things, those experiences that mean that you are at this moment reading this thread. There's gotta be a reason you are hanging in here - right?

Yes, it will include special concert moments - I hope....special experiences.....but I think it would be very special to appropriately personalise it perhaps now in a way that you haven't thought about it previously. 

I'll start:

Watching U2 on 'The Tube' - Redrocks as a young teen, blown away.

Blackpool - watching live aid, first holiday without my parents - mesmerised and captured.

On the back of being at Slane in '86, aged 17 to see 'Queen' - U2 at Croke Park #87 was a late teenagers dream. I'm 48 years old this September, suddenly....

Sitting in a (then) girlfriends house on NYeve 1989, as U2 broadcast live "to europe" - It was a Sunday in Ireland (north n south), so the pubs were shut anyway. It was a house party night. However, on reflection - that was a pretty big deal.....we forget sometimes.

I'll never forget some fella, who was a friend of a friend, trying to rip me off big time for a Dubs Zoo TV tour ticket 93 - he wasn't even going to use them!!  A deal was struck involving some choice words. Hair was pulled too, and some cardigans were ripped off backs before settlement agreed.

Camping at Shankill, south Dubs for Popmart. Since the last concert, I've got engaged, found out my brother in law to be is gay - he chose me to come out to. No probs.....so we go go camping to Popmart. So feckin awesome. 

Life takes over, We BUY a house, we decide to get married - I dont have a computer - I'm chasing career not popstars - I miss a tour. These children, where in utter feck did all these children come from????? aggghhhh -  darkness falls with a content smile.....

It's 2005. Well by jaysus - Croke Park never looked liked this the last time I was here (...as the wife gently reminds me that it was 18 years ago).

Its now 2009. Probes land on Mars. We do not quite know what they do, but they do stuff. Something weird n wonderful takes place  on our world - U2360 sets down.

- What did you feel the first time you saw that for yourself? 

Well, it usually takes a few years for those probe thinghys to return, so they are probably on their way back as we speak. There was a few wee excursions for me personally on the good ship INNOCENCE - but rough waters means there's a need for a captain with some EXPERIENCE to grab the nettle.

Here's to the future.

But how did you get here?

• Community Moderator

It all started when I was 12, sitting in our living room right after we got cable and MTV. The Gloria video came on and I just stopped what I was doing. I did every time it came on. That was 1983.

Fast forward to 1988 and working at a movie theater and finding true friends that understood me. Adding the movie trailer for Rattle and Hum and getting to watch in for the first time. Chills as I watched the red screen and the beginning of Streets and watching the band walk across. Getting to sell the merchandise the day the movie opened and watching it twice with friends that day. Falling head over heels for the band. Finding my best friend because of the movie. Over the next couple of years, road trips to Atlanta and Nashville to look for music treasures at music stores and a spontaneous trip to Memphis just to slide down the hill like Edge.

March 5th, 1992, a bus load of U2 fans headed for Atlanta, playing the A-Z game. Being in the Omni, almost in a daze because I couldn't believe I was finally getting to see my favorite band. Tears rolling down my face for most of the show because I was happy.

September 25th, 1992, two carloads of friends headed back to Atlanta to open the Georgia Dome with U2. The band being as small as ants and hyperventilating 6 rows from the top at the other side of the stadium when Bono began singing Unchained Melody and being told, "I love you" for the first time by my now husband.

A few days later, spending 3 days and nights outside a music store to get tickets to my one and only local show they would ever play. Free food from the local radio stations and front page article of the newspaper for being that dedicated. October 7, 1992, first time close to the stage with my two friends. A whole new experience. Bono's bum in our faces at the catwalk during Sunday Bloody Sunday. Yelling hello at Larry and getting a wave (heavy sigh). Seeing a friend I hadn't seen in 4 years, thanks to the video screens and standing 5 feet from Peter Buck of REM.

August 25, 1993, my first time overseas. My first time in an airplane. My best friend won a trip to Dublin to see U2. We were going. Made a mixtape to listen to on the plane. I now have a playlist of those exact same songs to listen. They still bring back memories of the trip. I went to see the band I was in love with. I fell in love with a city and a country. I left a little bit of my heart in Ireland then.

November 1997, I'm married now but my friend and I still do all things U2 together, even driving through a tornado to get to New Orleans to see the big lemon. Making Larry laugh while doing the boomcha at the b-stage. Waking up the next day and turning on the news to find we had lost Michael Hutchence. The worst that I have ever been touched by the death of a musician. A week later in Atlanta, crying with Bono while singing One and Never Tear Us Apart.

March 30, 2001, I now have a 10 month old son. I'm supposed to be all grown up now, but can't miss a U2 tour. Hubby stays home with our son so I can go off on a last minute musical adventure with BFF. I'm there but feeling guilty bc I'm supposed to be all grown up. In November I get a 2nd chance at the tour and I'm pregnant with our 2nd child. She danced in my tummy all night. I should've known that she would end up a fan too. Life happened. I was raising my babies. I was being a grown up.

2003 or 2004, I can't remember the year now. Kids will do that to your brain, BFF and I get to take a trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum for the U2 exhibit. We spent all day looking at the U2 stuff. It's my nice little girls' trip getaway.

2004, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I get the kids in the car to get HTDAAB. We get back in the car and I immediately open it. I am home again. The music was new but it felt like I had known it for years. I was completely in love again. November 18th and 19th in Atlanta, BBF and hubby in tow while the kiddos are at their grandparents. First show I've seen with hubby since Popmart. The LOUDEST shows I have ever been to. Hubby is blown away. Ears are ringing for two days. GA IS THE BEST THING EVER. confetti falling on us during City of Blinding Lights. So much for being "all grown up". I'm going to just be a crazy adult. Hours and hours spent on the Zoo after that.

2007, we have to move to London for hubby's job. We still refer to it as the best of times and the worst of times. He takes me to Ireland for little holidays while we are there because he knows my heart is there. 2009, a month and a half before we move back to the states, I get "a present" from U2. NLOTH is on the verge of being released and I find myself at the BBC, getting Edge's autograph and watching the rooftop gig. The first time I've seen them without BFF and I have to tell her that I got her favorite member's autograph. She still talks to me.

The fall of 2009, I find myself traveling places, meeting more and more zootops, from Toronto to Raleigh to Atlanta. Raleigh, BFF and I have seats so we decide to see if we can see the band arrive. Bono comes out and I can't speak. I'm in awe. Thankfully, no crying until after he walks away and I hope for a do-over one day. Atlanta is our first all day GA experience. Sharing stories and adventures. Outer rail spot, crying like a baby when Larry stopped with the djembe right in front of me. BFF capturing it on her camera. Hugs and crying because I had hoped for that moment and it actually happened.

Scheming schemes and making plans with old friends and new friends. 2010 got postponed until 2011. Driving around Denver, going to Red Rocks. Feeling like I was at a shrine of sorts. Getting to take my daughter to her first show in Nashville, seeing her reaction when they came out. Dancing and singing the night away with Hubby, daughter, and BFF. Playing in the park in Chicago. Friends from all over the US, Canada, Australia and England. All brought together because of U2 and the Zoo. Philadelphia, a bittersweet show. My last of 360. Emotions are everywhere. Things are not well at home. My dad is very sick. Very, very sick and I only have a month and a half left with him. All I want to do is check out. I am broken and sad, and feeling like I had no happy place.

July 2015 took so long to get here. The world has changed. My life has changed. Hubby knows I need this tour. BFF and I head to Toronto to meet other BFF (I have 2 now, again, thanks to the Zoo). As always, when I need them the most, they are there. Everyone here knows the story, but dreams came true for me. Larry gave me his drumstick. I cried again. Will I ever go to a U2 show where I don't cry from happiness? I doubt it. I got my do-over with Bono and actually talked and laughed with him. BFF tells him how we have been friends for 27 years bc of them. NYC, hot but with my friends and whole family. Sharing the experience. Loving it all. Looking forward to more.

That's my journey. U2 have been my soundtrack of my life for 33 years. It's been nice to think back over the fun I've had over the years because of them. And I got a little emotionally thinking back over it. Sorry it was so wordy.

• Subscriber

Excellent stuff Mich, thanks for sharing. Your post reminded of that strange and only time I have went to a cinema on my own - twice in one week - to watch Rattle n Hum. Totally forgot about that!  :)

Such was the world back then. Couldn't wait then for the VHS video to come out on release!

• Community Moderator

Excellent stuff Mich, thanks for sharing. Your post reminded of that strange and only time I have went to a cinema on my own - twice in one week - to watch Rattle n Hum. Totally forgot about that!  :)

Such was the world back then. Couldn't wait then for the VHS video to come out on release!

I know. I can't tell you how many times I actually watched it. And I would watch bits on my break (which was usually Bad or Streets) or come in early to watch some. I was so sad when it left our theater.

• Subscriber

I know. I can't tell you how many times I actually watched it. And I would watch bits on my break (which was usually Bad or Streets) or come in early to watch some. I was so sad when it left our theater.

Yeah, Streets, that moment when black n white became colour - something of a moment that one. Fantastic.