Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voicefromdc

Women’s March on Washington officially has a permit for Jan. 21

WOMEN (and all those who support and stand with them) WILL MARCH in DC the day after Trump's inauguration.

post-691770-0-23322300-1481833433.txt  photo links to Washington Post article.

Women's March is going Global.

Women's March sister actions will take place in towns and cities around the world and join with the Women's March on Washington on 21 January.   We only have 3 weeks to organize this but aim to accomplish a networked global media event around these actions.

In a day or so, I will post more information to work with if YOU or your organization would like to stage a partner march in your town or city that maintains focus on your local issues and actions, while also incorporating into a larger global message of solidarity with women worldwide.

Please watch this space.  

Think about YOUR march!

As always, Men Welcome! 

Thanks and best wishes.

Would love to see ONE's "Poverty is Sexist" campaign participate!

Donald Trump victory sparks global women’s rights marches
Washington DC and London among 30 cities rallying against ‘politics of fear’ on day after inauguration
Tracy McVeigh | The Guardian

After a year of seismic shocks comes the protest and fightback. At least that is what activists plan with the first major demonstration of the year – the women’s march – planned for 30 cities around the world on 21 January, the day after Donald Trump’s inauguration as president of the US.

The women’s march on Washington has been given permission by state authorities to go ahead. Tens of thousands of women (and men, who are also welcome to join it) have already pledged to take part and plans for a sister rally in London are gaining support from writers, musicians and politicians.

Organisers say the US election proved a “catalyst for a grassroots movement of women to assert the positive values that the politics of fear denies”.

In the UK the Women’s Equality party has thrown its weight behind the march. “I am a dual national and voted for Hillary Clinton in Wisconsin,” said the party co-founder, Catherine Mayer.

“I will march with my father, a US citizen, who during his time as a conscript in the US army came under investigation by Senator Joseph McCarthy for supposed un-American activities. In fact he was and remains a US patriot who will march to promote the values essential to the US: democracy and the human rights of the whole population,” she said.

“For me the march is also important because it recognises how interconnected our world is. What happens in America impacts all of us. The rights of women and of minority populations and vulnerable and low-income people are under threat and we must do everything we can to protect these rights and fight for true equality.”

Musician Pixie Geldof, writer Stella Duffy, activist Jack Monroe and US rock musician Thurston Moore are supporting the London march, while in the US organisers claim that many of the musicians who have refused to play at Trump’s inauguration will join them.

“I’m supporting this march because I don’t want to be a bystander to the politics of fear, division and aggression that defined crucial votes in the UK and the US in 2016,” said Geldof.

She added: “I believe that kindness, love and unity are stronger than hate. I believe that we are stronger together. Together we can show that no matter who you are, you have a voice, and it’s a voice worth being heard.”

Women's March  SISTER MARCHES

Sister Marches are solidarity events inspired by the Women's March on Washington, and organized by volunteers around the world.

If you can't make it to Washington, D.C. on January 21, join or host a Sister March near you. 

NUMBER OF MARCHES SO FAR: 273
EXPECTED PARTICIPATION GLOBALLY (so far): 577,480

WE WOULD LIKE TO INCREASE THESE NUMBERS.  PLEASE VISIT WomensMarch.com/Global TO JOIN OR PLAN A MARCH IN YOUR AREA

Health, Economic Security, Representation, Safety (H.E.R.S.)

I am very proud to announce the release of the H.E.R.S. framework as a strategic tool for organizing globally around women's rights.

I adapted and developed the H.E.R.S. framework, based on existing scholarship, while volunteering with Women's March Global in DC.

Women's March Global is a grassroots umbrella effort that serves as an organizing hub for the multiple Women's Marches happening around the planet.

H.E.R.S. is a stand-alone strategic platform that allows one to frame campaigns, activism, policy and legal efforts.

I envision H.E.R.S. as a vehicle for unifying women's movements around the world.  

The H.E.R.S. Strategic Organizing Framework

• Health — Healthcare is the foundation of women’s well-being and economic stability. Women’s March Global advocates for access to affordable and inclusive women’s healthcare regardless of nationality, age, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
  • Economic Security — Women are powerful drivers of economic growth, and their economic empowerment benefits all nations. Women’s March Global supports the dismantling of economic barriers that obstruct women’s full and equal access to local, national, and global economic systems.
  • Representation — Women are under-represented globally, adversely affecting our collective health, safety, and economic security. Women’s March Global seeks fair and just representation of women locally, nationally, and internationally.
  • Safety — Every woman has the need and right to feel physically secure, and security for women should be assured through sound legal practices. Women’s March Global stands behind the principle that women are not to be held accountable for actions that are outside their control — particularly regarding all forms of assault — and that fair legal action must be applied to prevent these crimes.

---------------------------------------

I am working to get some H.E.R.S. graphics made and made available for those who may want to use it on a sign or something.

Easy enough to print anything on anything at VistaPrint.