So... This Joshua Tree Tour Thing...

• Subscriber

Look. Everyone has their own favorite U2 era. I agree that a Pop re-issue or even re-invention would be incredible, but let's be real: The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are by far their biggest albums. By far. Not even close. The casual music fan who might like U2 somewhat will know songs from those albums. A lot of casual fans didn't care for Pop. Case in point - for the first time in their career (save the very early days of the band), U2 had trouble selling out Popmart shows. The masses want the JT/AB stuff, and that's what sells out stadiums. It really only makes sense that if they do a retrospective tour, it is JT.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Whilst being in the UK is great, I feel for fans in Australia, South America, South Africa, NZ and the far east. We can get selfish in Europe and the USA. I'd be happy for them to tour there first - even with the Joshua Tree to give our brothers and sisters there a chance to see the band.

With the album's connection to NZ you'd think they'd be included.

Maybe they'll add more dates later, after the European dates it's pretty much near the end of footy season and before the start of cricket season so it would be the perfect time. Personally I'd prefer TJT over I&E if I had the choice.

• Subscriber

I'm of course excited for U2 to be doing something this year but I'm rather bummed by what it is they intend to do, even if it's the Joshua Tree. While I completely get it from a commercial standpoint (JT was HUGE) I was really hoping for some kind of POP retrospective - maybe actually "finishing" the album. I feel like the sounds and the imagery actually fit better today than it did back in 1997. It bums me out that when U2 gets backward looking (which they claim they never do) they seem to gloss over everything from 1993-1997. That was my favorite period! And they already did something with the Joshua Tree.

On top of that, how is this going to coincide with the release/promotion of SOE? Are they not doing a tour in support of that? I'm really confused.

I would have liked SOE and dont really believe the JT30 hype -inc. the rushed look and feel to the tour publicity flyer, video, etc.

My view I think JT is being used to create interest in the band to sell SOE off the back of - As there was a risk that SOE would be lost in the noise of the current throw away Pop culture because SOE wasnt completed in the originally announced time frame. I may be wrong but thats what the cynic in me says. That said looking forward to seeing a show or two of the JT30.

But totally agree we need more Pop, U2's greatest album and tour in my view .... love it Remaster .... Please!

I want to say this in a nice way and hope it comes out as such ... U2 spend more time in the studio making music instead of instagraming your holiday snaps.

.... dont believe the hype ....

Edited by joshthetree
  • Subscriber

I'm of course excited for U2 to be doing something this year but I'm rather bummed by what it is they intend to do, even if it's the Joshua Tree. While I completely get it from a commercial standpoint (JT was HUGE) I was really hoping for some kind of POP retrospective - maybe actually "finishing" the album. I feel like the sounds and the imagery actually fit better today than it did back in 1997. It bums me out that when U2 gets backward looking (which they claim they never do) they seem to gloss over everything from 1993-1997. That was my favorite period! And they already did something with the Joshua Tree.

On top of that, how is this going to coincide with the release/promotion of SOE? Are they not doing a tour in support of that? I'm really confused.

I would have liked SOE and dont really believe the JT30 hype -inc. the rushed look and feel to the tour publicity flyer, video, etc.

My view I think JT is being used to create interest in the band to sell SOE off the back of - As there was a risk that SOE would be lost in the noise of the current throw away Pop culture because SOE wasnt completed in the originally announced time frame. I may be wrong but thats what the cynic in me says. That said looking forward to seeing a show or two of the JT30.

But totally agree we need more Pop, U2's greatest album and tour in my view .... love it Remaster .... Please!

I want to say this in a nice way and hope it comes out as such ... U2 spend more time in the studio making music instead of instagraming your holiday snaps.

.... dont believe the hype ....

+1

They should have focused on SOE - putting this JT tour out will be commercially a success, but creatively it is going BACKWARD. It is an unclear message from a band that once  proud itself on reinventing and being innovative. Perhaps a limited small scale JT reboot would have been good rather than slap it into the middle of SOI and SOE.

JT30 isn't a surprise -  everyone knew it would be 30 years in 2017. Yes the changing political landscape is impacting the world but really? Is that why U2 thought it would be great to tour with it again in 2017?

I often find fans go wild at the slightest mention of any tour. Yes it is good to see the band in person but we really need to be more critical (some are which is good) because that is what drives them to do BETTER. I agree with the poster above that is is to make £, meet commercial obligations and generate interest. 

No doubt it will be a good tour and we will all be raving about hearing the songs again. I would give up seeing them on the JT30 tour if they spent that time in the STUDIO making SOE  their greatest creative work - something to surpass the JT. To me that is the mark of greatness - not looking back at what you did before.

Perhaps I am a middle aged grumpy man! However, I still want to feel the way I did when hear JT, Acthung Baby for the first times. Blown away by something that is lights years ahead of whatever else was around at the time. U2 need to do that with SOE. 

Edited by Amrit
  • Community Moderator

I'm just going to leave this here.  This was on Sub gift "Medium, Rare and Unreleased" several years ago.  It's originally from the Joshua Tree recording sessions.  Notice the name.  I think this has been thought about for a while.

• Subscriber

The promo photo being used was (allegedly) shot in 2015. Unless they were just goofing around that day and said "Hey, let's recreate the JT cover for kicks" I am also skeptical that this tour was just thrown together as a result of Trump's election.

But I don't care: gonna see U2 again this year!