Sign in to follow this  
Ender

So... This Joshua Tree Tour Thing...

You're not getting a Joshua Tree instead of a SOE release/tour... you're getting it IN ADDITION TO those things.

Seconded.

IMHO, they will release SOE this year and continue to tour into 2018 and beyond. I could see them going back to arenas to promote SOE as well. If they decided that they like the idea of a semi-nostalgic tour for JT, I could see them doing the same thing for AB/ZooTV-era when that time rolls around as well. In short, I see the next 4 to 5 years being very active for the band! :)

I wish Bono (and Trump) didn't care so much about their reputation and what people thought of them. In Bono's case, it's hard to imagine being so superlatively creative and successful yet still being overcome by such paralyzing self-doubt.  Well, the complete and utter humanity of the guys is a large part of what we love about them, right?

I'm glad to see them in concert again. It seemed it was just a short time ago (2015) I saw them last and thought it will be great to see them in the future, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. In fact, I was thinking it would be great to have a space of time in between tours so they could focus on the creative side of their craft. In any event, I could not nor would not (unless I was truly unable to) miss a concert with U2. Strange as it sounds, Joshua Tree was not an album I found myself gravitating to, but there are a few songs on their I really like. And I get the point of the original post of this thread, that the tour may just be a commercial endeavor fulfilled. In the end, we, the fans will have a really good time despite the mechanisms of the music business and its demands on artists. Who knows? Maybe U2 will throw in some surprises during the concerts!

I wish Bono (and Trump) didn't care so much about their reputation and what people thought of them.

We're just lucky Bono isn't on Twitter dissecting all of the slams he gets on Zootopia... ;-)

A nice comment from the Edge 

however for me Joshua Tree was not a reaction to a political situation or any other than U2 reaching the top really

had listened to them about five years before that album and it is so rooted into my personal sense and experience of youth and U2 cannot relive it again live. I remember hearing it suddenly in a little wine bar in Florence February 2010 deeply moved how wonderful it sounded as a whole, got stuck to the chair hearing it and then oh, Trip Through Your Wires! how I love the song

but maybe the next album live, who knows 

Edited by jaanakulo

If we are going back to 1987...why not have Lone Justice open the tour with Shelter?  Do the whole album?   It's one of my all time favorites and Maria McKee's name is on the current back issue of Propoganda  which is being featured.  Am I the only one who knows this band? 

If they were going to do an anniversary tour...this is the obvious one.  I'd love it if they did TJT and Achtung Baby in two different sets but then the stadiums wouldn't be selling out, now would they?  I think Please is one of the most underrated songs of all time.  I'd love to see them do Zooropa. 

I have a feeling there are surprises ahead which nobody can predict or even conceive.  That's what they do best.

As for them not being relevant in music anymore; why were we all so freaked about getting tickets?  I disagree.  I watch the audiences and there are always more youngsters appearing.  One could argue music is not relevant any longer.  Nobody pays for it save those of us who think they should get paid for the cds.  Tix would not be $300 if all did. 

I'm just happy they added a second night in Chicago.  I'm gonna nab a GA the day of the show and go see whatever gem they give to the Windy City because it's always something and it's usually Bad.  Ever go to a U2 gig and say, "I hope they play Bad tonight.", (rather loudly) and look at all the confused faces listening?  Most don't even know the song and I listen to it daily and it's still the song I most want to hear.  It's even more fun to be able to say, "They played Bad last night.", and see all the worried faces thinking U2 is gonna suck live the one tour they finally decide to go see them.  It's late.  I've been writing for 12 hours.  Perhaps this will be deleted in the morning.

I was not expecting this tour at first.  Once it starts, I think we'll all be happy.  Albeit disjointed...that's my take.

Pop is always brought up as Gender did, and I agree, but no matter what they do, it's going to be amazing.  I want SOE too.

I'm laughing so hard at your " BAD " jokes...... Hahahaha...... Some of the best U2 jokes I ever heard !!!!!!!

AND.... I want MORE *POP* and SOE !!!!!

It's simple........

TJT30? : NO

SOE :     YES.

Something related to *POP* , like releasing rare demos and hardback photo-albums from the era ? : Yes.

As for current business......U2 should have shut themselves up in whichever studio they would have felt more comfortable in and went firing on all 12 cylinders to finish SOE and make it their best   album ever........But no...........

Oh and  POP  POP     POP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS :  I find plausible the theory that U2 were supposed to release *SOE* in spring 2017 and tour it throughout 2017//2018 and because of whatever reasons they decided to stall SOE's concluding sessions so LiveNation put pressure on them so they *POP*ped out this TJT idea.........To fulfill their obligations with LiveNation so as not to go through what happened with *POP* all over again ( I think u all know)...But I think they should have done JUST that.......Work under pressure until the deadline.........That's what they did with *POP* and that's my favourite U2 album................U2's best work is done in times of pressure, self-doubt and all kinds of sadness and conflict.......I totally agree........

Edited by pain_18_

Lone Justice really good band they supported U2 at the Wembley Stadium show I went to =0)

Thanks. One person at least. Loved them. Her solo albums have some great stuff too. Springsteen used a few of them when he toured behind Lucky Town/Human Touch.

Nope, not the only one. Loved them. Huuuge crush on Maria. Also saw them open for Tom Petty.

Count me as one excited to see Bono's comments on music bringing people together.  U2 has always been about big ideas.

A show for the left, right, coasts and middle america is what is needed.  I think that quote was the best one I have seen to date.

I am excited for this tour way more than the last one.