Sign in to follow this  
jimmerpro

General Admission questions THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017

Is there going to be a pit area at London show? Thanks in advance

too early to tell, i'm afraid...

I'm claustrophobic, so I debated for years whether to get a GA ticket or not. While I would love to maneuver close enough to the stage to be "right there" at the band's feet, honestly, I just want to be on my feet the whole time, dancing, and I want to be able to view the stage, graphics, experience, etc. In my opinion, standing is better and here is my experience:

I got GA for a 360 show and loved it. I just hung around toward the back, no one was crowding me, I could see everything, it was great. There are moments when people would move closer, and I would, too, but I was able to maintain reasonable space around me where I could still see the band and not be crammed between people, unable to move. Because I stayed toward the back, I never felt closed in.

For the i+e tour, I got a VIP package for my daughter and myself in low level seating. I was on my feet the entire time but not everybody around me was, and someone in a row behind me spilled a beer, which was dumped all over my shoes, pants and the VIP souvenir book we had been given. (Thankfully the book was sealed well in a box, and that was in a plastic bag.)

For my second i+e concert, I had GA in Chicago and it was the most fun I've ever had...which is saying a lot, because being at a U2 show is always the most fun I've ever had. We kind of moved in and out with the crowd and I was never boxed in. I was close enough to see everything and close enough that when Bono did his "drink the water and spout it out" thing, we got splattered.

So for this tour I didn't hesitate to get floor tickets to Dublin and DC. It's just a big, huge dance party. Oh...and I'm 48 years old :) See y'all there!

Hey - maybe I'm misinterpreting but it sounds like your recent good GA experiences were outside the pit...  you should really try getting inside.  You can be *way* closer to the band, but because of the barrier dividing the outside and inside sections, you'll have plenty of space to step back and chill out if you want to while still being closer than the majority in the stadium.

Inside the circle on 360 was the most amazing concert experience I've ever had.

I+E was a bit different in that there was no pit section.  Looking at the stadium layouts for Joshua Tree though, I think that "stepping back" if you are outside the pit area will mean being way back at the back fo the stadium.  Which is okay, and better than sitting, but nothing beats being in the pit :-)

It looks like there is no pit (unfortunately) this time (besides RZ), if the venue diagrams are correct (and they are much more detailed now than on the I & E tour).  I really, really hope that there is one--it's a way better setup when there is--but I'm not hopeful at this point.

Edited by mike7man

DOHBOY here. I posted the topic, "Tips from the eXPERIENCED GA-ers".
Thanks to everyone that responded with their advice, tips, and mentoring.
I posted the topic back in December 2014, after I was fortunate enough to get GA tickets,
I was fully intending to arrive at the venue early (6 - 7 am). Since I live 90 miles from the venue, I would be hanging out in line until ShowTime. Most of the replies were posted by the beginning of April 2015. On May 8th, the post from jeffwalsh was the most poignant. Paraphrasing, "Yea, you can arrive early, wait, get your wristband, wait, get in line, wait, run to your spot, wait. I'll show up 30 minutes before the band tends to start and stand 10 feet behind you."

Well, jeff, that must have been a bad night for you. I arrived and was parked at 7:10 pm. Show time was announced as 7:30. Went to the special GA entrance, got my wristband,
stopped for a double gin and tonic, and stood behind a couple on the rail at the e-stage, 7:40 pm. (just to the left of where Larry's drum set was positioned, about four feet from the rail, comparable to the second row).

jeff, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for the enlightenment of your eXPERIENCE with General Admission. Yea, I understand the joy of sharing time, stories, and enthusiasm with like-minded groups of people; in 1978 I spent 5 days in line to buy tickets for a concert. It's still a fond memory, but, I am so happy I didn't spend 13+ hours in line, waiting for a U2 concert experience that could not be any more fulfilling. If you are emotionally driven to be on the rail, right in front, by all means, follow your heart and do it. General Admission ticket holders - DOHBOY gives testimony - it is not necessary to spend 13+++ hours in line to have a great U2 concert experience. Even if you arrive after the concert has started, you'll be, at most, 30 to 45 feet (about 8 people deep) from some part of the stage, and 25 yards behind you is the nearest seat.

Dohboy you're right as long as shows are in small venue like for i+e tour

This was my first thought. I should imagine arriving not long before the start for JT will mean being behind a few thousand people. The last time I did GA at a stadium (wembley) it was pretty amazing seeing just how many people were behind me.

Yeah, I agree. A stadium show is different to arenas. There will be thousands & thousands of people on the field, & lots of them will line up early to get a good spot. Plus i+e has an exceptionally high amount of rail, compared to the total GA area, running the full length of the floor. The catwalk this tour is much shorter than i+e, even though the field is much, much bigger. Arriving some time near when doors open may get you reasonably close to a rail somewhere if you're lucky, but arriving close to showtime & you'll be miles back.

360 vs i+e

post-359255-0-36712800-1494261435_thumb.jpgpost-359255-0-61296800-1494261485_thumb.jpg

Edited by ddarroch

On 1/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, james busick said:

35 is too old?!?!  I'm 53 and will be there by 8 a.m. for the 2 shows I'm going to :).

? I thought the same thing!  I'm 46 and have been strength training for my four GA dates!  

GA spoils you-- there's no going back to seats!