Wires vs RedHill assigment and Long term FanClub member

blur991

• Subscriber

I'm annoyed at the wording of the email. I don't know, perhaps I'm being petty. 

It was the equivalent of a politely worded 'I'm sorry... who the f are you? Press 1 for Bieber, 2 for Buble, or the symbol Pi for any U2-related injustices you may be experiencing.

It went something (but not exactly) like this: 

heyyyyy man (or woman)! So, welcome to the U2 fan club! Since you are a new member and all, and we're too swamped here at THIS IS ALL WE DO, INC. to answer any queries you might have., we've decided to email you a sort-of unique code with a B on it! FUN FACT: B stands for BOY, ARE THERE A LOT OF RECENT U2.COM MEMBERS QEUING UP WITH YOU FORGETFUL OLD-TIMERS! C'MON... MINGLE WHY DONTCHA!

thank you for shopping MUSIC TODAY, WHERE EVEN A MINOR LAPSE IN MEMBERSHIP WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DOWNGRADE TO NEWBIE STATUS WITH ZERO WARNING, AND WHERE 20-30 YEARS OF FANDOM AND MEMBERSHIP FEES DON'T MEAN DIDDLY!

(Btw, there is no C-Z code, so BEST OF LUCK IN STEERAGE WITH THE SCALPERS!)

If you require assistance or further information, dial 411 or consult a voodoo-man. 

*I know, sounds like I'm whining... but practically a lifetime of fandom, and here I am sweating JT30 tix. Best of luck, wired-ones!

Edited by ...or else

• Subscriber

I think it's fair for the band to reward longtime fans who keep paying membership dues even in the wilderness years with no tours or shows. I would be a bit miffed if people who let their memberships lapse and re-upped only after a tour announcement received the same access and benefits as someone who has been loyal through the years with their payments and support.

Edited by newsman

• Subscriber

As someone who hasn't let his membership lapse, even in off-tour years, going back to 1986, I feel compassion for all of the frustration. At the same time, I think it's fair for the band to reward longtime fans who keep paying even in the wilderness years with no tours or shows. I would be a bit miffed if people who let their memberships lapse and re-upped only after a tour announcement received the same access and benefits as someone who has been loyal through the years with their payments and support.

I get what you're saying, and you are 98% correct in my opinion... however, I'm not sure about you, but I have been spoiled by the pay-for-play sites that I belong to on the interwebs! I have grown accustomed to receiving a reminder when a PAID subscription is about to expire! I think these folks dropped the ball, and some long-time fans are paying for it. Again, I understand what you are saying and agree that those who were vigilant enough to re-up in a timely manner deserve first-crack at the ticket sales, BUT somehow I feel that a simple reminder or 'heads-up' to long-term, recently lapsed, subscribers would have been the decent thing to do.

Anyhoooo... best of luck with your shows! I decided to get some Bonnaroo tix and go see the boys in full festival mode! It promises to be a sweet, sweet thing! <3 

• Subscriber

I did get e-mails regarding re-subscribing my U2.com membership. Never missed a year and I've got all the gifts.

I honestly don't know why everybody is whining about that.

It's probably easier to complain then holding up the mirror to yourself when you thought saving $50,- cause U2 weren't suppose to tour.

Please take your own responsibility in this.

• Subscriber

I'm just finishing up on this. I am pleased (yet also fuming) that so many others feel the same way and got shafted like I did, a 25+ "lifelong" member.

I have to go to Cleveland but I got my GA. I knew Chicago would Suck, but I did get 'decent' seats. So thanks but no thanks to U2.com customer "service". Guess In the end I saved 50$ on the whole thing for that 6 month membership lapse (of which I never got a renewal email, I checked my gmail). So hey U2.com who wins in the end  :lol:

Peace out.

Edited by blur991

• Subscriber

I did get e-mails regarding re-subscribing my U2.com membership. Never missed a year and I've got all the gifts.

I honestly don't know why everybody is whining about that.

It's probably easier to complain then holding up the mirror to yourself when you thought saving $50,- cause U2 weren't suppose to tour.

Please take your own responsibility in this.

• Subscriber

That's really great that you got notified! Some folks obviously didn't. But, you are absolutely correct about some people needing to hold a mirror up to themselves. After all, allowing or not allowing a fan club membership to expire is one of those character-defining moments in life where one can either find themselves seeking out a place (maybe a fan forum?) where they can vent their frustrations with like-minded people who understand what being a fan during presales can do to a person, or alternately, remind others how life can suck and then you die. As if we need a reminder of that fact these days. On a fan-club website.

Kudos on the reliable email server, btw. You win the internet.