The Action Thread Part Two

• Subscriber
EDUCATION

THIS is what epic activism for 130M+ girls looks like

12 July 2017 3:13PM UTC | By: ZAINAB ALI KHAN

JOIN

Join the fight against extreme poverty

A few months ago, we told you over 130 million girls are missing out on getting an education. We asked you to raise your voice so world leaders would hear our call for action and you delivered!

Just last weekend leaders met in Hamburg for the G20 Summit where they agreed on a list of commitments to help shape a better world. Thanks to your campaigning, not only was education in there, but it included a call for better and more innovative financing. While we still have a long way to go to, this was a great step forward.

We started this campaign giving G20 leaders an “F” grade, but having seen and heard you, they managed to bring it up to a C. It’s a pass, but they’ll need to work much harder to get to the top of the class. We’re going to need your help to keep this campaign going and make sure they deliver to get those 130 million + girls the education they deserve.

Across the globe, you shared 34,000 tweets and over 21,000 retweets using #GirlsCount. On Facebook, you shared posts about girls education nearly 9000 times and gave over 49,000 reactions! 16,190 of you from 169 different countries (and counting) showed off your creativity and commitment to girls’ education by helping us count to an insanely high number and 122,191 of you signed a postcard asking world leaders to show us they think #GirlsCount too!

Our tireless volunteers and Youth Ambassadors also made sure they helped us spread the message offline! Ahead of the G20 Partnership with Africa conference and G20 Hamburg we covered Berlin and Hamburg with thousands of posters and stencils to target 20 world leaders in the fight for the over 130 million girls missing out on an education around the world.

Take a look at some of this amazing activity below:

BELGIUM

Over in Brussels, our Youth Ambassadors did a virtual hand-in of the petition outside the European Commission and European Council offices.

.@JunckerEU: 106,500+ ONE members call on you to show that #GirlsCount by putting girls’ education at the top of the #G20agenda

They also took action by taking photos of themselves with hand-drawn signs declaring why education was important to them.

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Busy evening with @ONEinEU asking #OneYouth17 what education can give to the 130 million girls worldwide denied access ? #girlscount #G20

FRANCE

In France, over 16,000 people took our postcard action! Our French YAs and volunteers attended festivals across France to mobilise the public and collect signatures encouraging the government to take action for all girls missing out on an education.

130 millions de filles ne vont pas à l’école. La France doit agir lors du #G20 contre cette injustice #GirlsCount https://act.one.org/sign/g20-chaque-fille-compte/ 

GERMANY

Our G20 hosts handed in the petition with 2,000 postcards to Merkel’s Chief of Staff – one of the highest level staff in the German government!

Vielen Dank @peteraltmaier für das Gespräch & Ihren Einsatz für Bildung für Mädchen - Wir zählen auf Sie! #ONEYouth17#GirlsCount #G20

IRELAND

We received over 700 signatures from supporters in Ireland and our Irish Youth Ambassadors took to Twitter using hand-written signs to share what education means to them.

School taught me this, but 130m girls are missing out. Join me & demand change at the G20: http://ow.ly/YEXT30cK1mc  #GirlsCount#ONEYouth17

ITALY

Two Italian Youth Ambassador’s did a virtual hand-in of our postcard action to Palazzo Chigi (the Prime Minister’s office) and asked Italy to continue showing leadership on the topic of girls’ education!

Our YAs also tweeted #GirlsCount videos to the Prime Minister asking him to encourage other G20 leaders to step up their commitment to girls’ education.

#ONEYouth17 consegna il suo messaggio a @PaoloGentiloni: #Italia continui a mostrare leadership al #G20 sul tema dell'istruzione femminile!

NETHERLANDS

Dutch Youth Ambassadors targeted tweets towards Prime Minister Rutte with pictures that explained how important education has been to them and requests for him and the other G20 leaders to do more for girls’ education around the world.

Onze Jeugdambassadeurs over #onderwijs. 130 mln meisjes kunnen niet naar school. Roep #G20 & @MinPres tot actie http://ow.ly/X0Qj30dogcX 

Our Youth Ambassadors also visited The Hague to complete a virtual hand-in of our #GirlsCount petition.

130 mln meisjes kunnen niet naar school. Dat kan niet! TEKEN: http://ow.ly/Ofwv30dja8E  en vraag #G20 leiders voor meer en beter #onderwijs

UNITED KINGDOM

In the UK over 24,000 people signed our postcard!

A team of UK Youth Ambassadors made visits to No. 10 Downing Street to hand in our postcards and the ONE team attended meetings at the Argentinian, Canadian, and German embassies in London where they spoke with representatives about why all #GirlsCount.

Great to meet the team at @ARGinUK to discuss our #GirlsCountcampaign & why the G20 must invest in girl's education ??‍?

Fantastic meeting with @CanadianUK discussing our shared passion for girls' education & why the #G20 must invest because #GirlsCount ??‍? ?

Great meeting with the #G20 hosts @GermanEmbassy to discuss why #G20 leaders must invest in girls' education, because ALL #girlscount ???‍?

And this is just the beginning. We’re going to keep holding world leaders to account to push for more and better funds to get those girls back where they belong: in school.

Via ONE

Edited by tan_lejos_tan_cerca
  • Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1058 EDUCATION How soccer is changing the lives of girls in Kenya February 23 2017 | By: MEGAN IACOBINI DE FAZIO GIRLS COUNT Every gi

238 WATER AND SANITATION How the Ebola outbreak spurred improved access to running water in Liberia 16 November 2018 1:35PM UTC | By: WOMEN'S ADVANCEMENT DEEPLY

Posted Images

• Subscriber
AID AND DEVELOPMENT

Awesome! This is how Kenyans are beating poverty through yoga

14 June 2017 7:06PM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

By Melissa Catelli. A version of this post was originally published by Take Part.  

For most travellers, a Kenyan safari involves days of patiently waiting for a glimpse of lions, elephants, or an elusive leopard hiding in the bush. For native New Yorker Paige Elenson, a 2006 family safari yielded a far less conventional sighting: a group of young Kenyan acrobats doing handstands in the middle of the bush.

“As a yoga teacher, my first reaction was to jump out of the vehicle and do handstands with [them],” Elenson says—so she did, leaving the safari group behind.

It was a brief encounter, but Elenson’s skills—honed over 15 years—impressed them. Shortly after returning home, she got an email from the acrobats, members of the Sarakasi Trust, asking her to come back and teach them yoga. At first, Elenson, a full-time yoga teacher, declined their requests, sending them yoga books and DVDs instead. But their persistence paid off.

A Seva Safari participant practicing yoga with members of the Maasai tribe in Amboseli National Park, Kenya. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

A Seva Safari participant practising yoga with members of the Maasai tribe in Amboseli National Park, Kenya. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

Elenson returned and started volunteering in some informal settlement communities and was asked to teach a class at a private gym. At the time, the city was home to just five yoga teachers and the health and wellness industry in Kenya was only accessible to a small number of wealthy individuals. On average, a single yoga class cost each participant 500 Kenyan shillings, or approximately $5.50.

So Elenson came up with an idea: Why not create a way to train unemployed youths from marginalised communities and help them earn money teaching yoga?

Photo Credit: Miranda Adler

Photo Credit: Miranda Adler

That year, she founded the Africa Yoga Project (AYP). The program provides a scholarship-based, 200-hour teacher training course to residents ages 18 to 35 from slums and informal settlements across Kenya; the goal is to help the teachers spread health and well-being throughout their communities while also providing them with a stable income. To qualify for the program, Elenson requires that applicants be African nationals, demonstrate financial need, and be “committed to becoming a yoga teacher and serving communities.”

Participants who have completed all of their requirements are provided health benefits and a stipend of roughly $100 per month over the course of three years to teach five weekly outreach classes free of charge in their communities. Teachers are required to open a bank account in order to receive their monthly stipend, encouraging long-term financial responsibility as well.

The weekly community outreach classes take place in various locations, including schools and acrobat training camps, but also areas of need such as orphanages, HIV centres, and prisons. More than 200 local AYP-trained instructors teach approximately 300 classes and reach 6,000 people each week in Kenya.

Eason says most of the current teachers were unemployed prior to working with Africa Yoga Project and were living in some of Kenya’s poorest slums. “For many of them, their way of making a living [was] through pickpocketing or theft,” she says.

Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 3.53.46 PMNairobi local Eliam Wanji, 27, had never heard of yoga until her sisters started practising with AYP. Prior to AYP, she held a variety of different casual jobs, from beading to garbage collection, but her income was never consistent.

Nairobi local Eliam Wanji, in half moon pose, has been teaching yoga through AYP for the past five years. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

Nairobi local Eliam Wanji, in half moon pose, has been teaching yoga through AYP for the past five years. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

“The most I made one time was 7,500 shillings [equivalent to $82], and I felt like I was the richest person on earth,” she says. “There is no way I can compare AYP and former jobs. It’s like comparing death and sleep.” Today, four members of Wanji’s family are teaching yoga, and she’s been with the organisation for five years.

For Wanji, the most challenging and rewarding part of her training with AYP was learning about forgiveness and building trust. “It’s hard to go back and teach the same communities we may have stolen from. We were asked to call people that we needed to forgive and also ask for forgiveness,” she says. “I am the better for it, as it helped set me free [so] I could move on with my life.”

Eight years in, Elenson says she’s most proud of how the program has helped participants enter Kenya’s middle class while serving their communities and doing something they enjoy. “Some AYP teachers have moved from living in what they referred to as slums to new homes, starting families, supporting family members with school fees, and working on new income generating projects,” she says.

This post was originally published in June 2015. Click here to learn more the Africa Yoga Project. 

Via ONE

• Subscriber

**Attention Everyone** A little birdie told us to keep an eye out for Music Generation Clare this evening on Nuacht RTÉ at 5.45pm and Nuacht TG4 at 7pm 1f642.png:-)

11/07/2017

Three iconic landmarks in Clare will come alive to the sound of music this Wednesday!

Three iconic landmarks in Clare will come alive to the sound of music this Wednesday!

Music Generation Clare and Music Generation Limerick City will join forces on Wednesday 12 July to stage a series of pop-up gigs at three iconic locations on the Clare coast – the Cliffs of Moher and the beaches of Lahinch and Kilkee. More than one hundred musicians of different genres and styles will perform the three shows in just over three hours, all with the support of Clare County Council.

Timings for the rolling roadshow are as follows:

• 11.00am, The Cliffs of Moher
  • 1.00pm, Seafront Lahinch  
  • 3.30pm, Seafront Kilkee (parking lot by the steps)

All performances are free to attend and open to the public.

Leading the performances will be the newly formed Clare Youth Trad Orchestra which already comprises one hundred young musicians, 60+ of whom will perform on Wednesday. An initiative of Clare Arts Office and Music Generation Clare, the Orchestra is directed by Padraic O’Reilly, a well-known traditional piano player from Corofin.

The ensemble will use this exciting pop-up performance opportunity to warm up for their upcoming slot at the Shannon Aerodrome at Fleadh Ennis 2017. The group will have the honour of being the first to perform in the Aerodrome, opening the inaugural concert at the venue on Tuesday 15 August. Tickets for this event will go on sale shortly online at www.fleadhcheoil.ie and www.glor.ie

Joining the Trad Orchestra on Wednesday will be a whole host of rappers, songwriters, producers and bands from Music Generation Limerick City’s celebrated Limerick Voices programme.

The combined result will be three short public concerts featuring a fantastic mix of musical styles. The event will also create a valuable opportunity for these young people to perform together and share their music in a non-competitive setting.

Wednesday’s tour will also mark the first ever public appearance of the Music Generation Limerick City ‘Creativity Pod’ – a mobile performance, recording and workshop space with a pop-up outdoor stage and PA.

For further information about the roadshow or about the Clare Youth Trad Orchestra, contact:

Jean Wallace, Music Development Officer
Music Generation Clare, Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board, Station Road, Ennis, County Clare

t: +353 65 686 5470
e: jean.wallace@lcetb.ie
facebook.com/musicgenerationclare

• Subscriber
Skip to content

REFUGEES

This teacher’s experience as a refugee helps him make a big impact on his students

April 14 2017 | By: MEGAN IACOBINI DE FAZIO

JOIN

This is part two of a three-part series on Sud Academy in Nairobi, Kenya. Don’t miss part one and part three.

Growing up in a remote village in Bar el-Ghazal region—present-day South Sudan—Ayuel never gave much thought to education, and never imagined that one day he would become a teacher.

But an attack on his village in 1999 set off a series of events that led him to dedicate his life to teaching, and to instill the love of education in countless young students, many of them refugees with stories much like his own.

Mr-Ayuel1-1024x683.png

“Living as a refugee child and surviving in a refugee camp taught me that the only thing that can change the world is education,” says Ayuel. “That is what pushed me to become a teacher.”

He was only 12 when the Khartoum government’s forces attacked his village. In the confusion, Ayuel and his 5-year-old brother, who had been severely injured in the attack, were separated from their parents. Ayuel would not talk to them again for more than 15 years.

“My brother and I were taken by the Red Cross to Lokichogio in Northern Kenya, but he did not survive the wound. I ended up in the Kakuma refugee camp with other unaccompanied children and went to school there until 2005.” In the camp, Ayuel learned how to speak English and Swahili, and excelled in his primary school exams.

In the meantime, a cousin of Ayuel’s had moved to Nairobi, Kenya, and was teaching at Sud Academy, a community school opened by South Sudanese refugees in 2002 to help children from disadvantaged backgrounds—both refugees and Kenyans—pursue a quality education. Upon hearing about Ayuel’s situation and his good exam results, Trisa Haak, a Canadian sponsor of Sud Academy, offered to pay for him to attend high school there.

DU6B1829-1024x683.jpg

The buildings of Sud Academy in Nairobi.

After that, Ayuel volunteered as a teacher at Sud Academy for two years before becoming full-time staff in 2011. While he’s continued teaching in the years since, he’s also been pursuing degrees in law and international relations.

“I felt that not only did I have the academic knowledge to teach, but because of my experience as a refugee, I had something more to offer these children,” he says.

Ayuel sees his role as a teacher as far more than simply going over what is in the curriculum. Many of his students have escaped violence in South Sudan or have grown up in a refugee camp, and adapting to their new environment can be difficult.

“It takes a lot of support to integrate the new children into the school,” says Ayuel, who often takes on a parental role, especially with younger children who have arrived without parents. “I see myself in their shoes and I understand what they are going through because I went through the same. It is my duty to help them, the way someone helped me.”

Swahili-class-1024x683.jpg

A Swahili class at Sud Academy.

Out of the 180 children who currently study at Sud, about 80 percent are refugees, mostly from South Sudan. “One of the biggest impacts of this school has been to teach children that they can happily interact with people from different communities – whether other South Sudanese communities that are not their own, or with refugees from Rwanda and Congo, or with Kenyan children,” says Ayuel.

And this spirit of tolerance and inclusion, as well as the quality education that Sud Academy provides, is helping children build bright futures not only for themselves, but for their countries.

Many of Ayuel’s former students have returned to South Sudan. “Only through education they can recover from the pain and trauma they have been through,” says Ayuel of his students. “And only if there is education, our country can progress, once there is peace. Education must be a foundation for people and the country.”

Name
Email
Post/zip code
Country         United States Canada Afghanistan Åland Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina FasoBurundi Cambodia Cameroon Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos Islands Colombia Comoros Cook Islands Costa Rica Côte d'Ivoire Country of Sint Maarten Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of the Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Korea Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Republic of the Congo Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino São Tomé and Príncipe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu U.S. Virgin Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Wallis and Futuna Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe       

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER

AUTHOR

MEGAN IACOBINI DE FAZIO
April 14 2017

Join the Conversation

Comment Guidelines

• Subscriber
Skip to content

EDUCATION

Zipora started a coffee co-op that’s transforming her community

February 14 2017 | By: GUEST BLOGGER

GIRLS COUNT

Every girl counts.

130 million girls don’t have access to an education. So we’re asking the world to count them, one by one.

Story and photos by Gaius Kowene

Zipora Nyituriki stands in the library of Akilah Institute, an East African college with a mission of empowering young women in leadership roles. As the only women’s college in Burundi and Rwanda, Akilah offers a rare chance for students like Zipora to change their lives. Of the girls enrolled, 97 percent are the first in their family to receive higher education.

IMG_6090.jpg

Information System students at the Akilah Institute, in Kigali, Rwanda.

Sitting in a wooden chair with her elbows on the table, Zipora smiles as her eyes scan the library’s shelves. She’s trying to find a book on agribusiness. She has no class today and plans to spend the time taking care of her business.

At just 24 years old, Zipora has founded her own coffee co-operative, COOBAKAMU, which now has more than 400 coffee farmers working in the district of Muhanga in southern Rwanda.

IMG_0050-1024x683.jpg

The coffee farm of a COBAKAMU member in Muhanga District, Southern Rwanda.

It’s an amazing achievement. Zipora’s from a rural area, and the youngest in a large family. She didn’t do well in high school, and her low grades meant she wasn’t offered a place at university. Studying at a private university was never an option as it was just too expensive. “I felt stuck,” she remembers.

But then she heard about Akilah Institute, and how its students have 70 percent of their fees covered via sponsorships. It seemed like her second chance. Zipora immediately filled out and sent off her application.

“I was very excited at the idea of finally going to university,” she says. But all of the available spots were already taken and Zipora’s application was rejected.

This wasn’t enough to deter her from her goal of higher education. Once Zipora discovered that Akilah had a second campus in neighboring Burundi, she left her home country of Rwanda to travel over the border to apply.

Her perseverance paid off: Zipora was accepted at the Burundi campus and spent the first year of her degree there before reapplying for the Kigali campus, where she was accepted into the entrepreneurship department.

IMG_6078.jpg

Zipora Nyituriki in front of Akilah Institute for Women in December 2016.

As she got further into her coursework, Zipora’s ideas for her future began to evolve.

“When studying market research and product design, my mind was always in my village, in Muhanga,” she says. In this part of Rwanda, farmers were producing tons of coffee beans they couldn’t sell due to long distances to processing plants.

“I really wanted to help them but was afraid they wouldn’t take me seriously as I’m very young,” she admits. “So I asked local leaders’ mediation.”

IMG_0048-1024x683.jpg

Coffee in the field of a COBAKAMU member in Muhanga District, Southern Rwanda.

It turned out that the farmers were impressed with her knowledge of market conditions, and in February 2016, Zipora and Muhanga coffee farmers created a cooperative to support farmers in producing high-quality coffee.

“We produce between five to ten tons of coffee every month, have eight direct permanent employees, and several more during harvest,” she says.

Aline Kabanga is the director at Akilah Institute. For her, Zipora is just one example of what young women can do when they are educated and inspired.

IMG_6107.jpg

Aline Kabanga, Akilah Institute’s director, in her office in Kigali, Rwanda.

“We work on mindset and attitude so the girls can better shape their own lives,” she says. “Practical education based on the market’s skills gap is the most powerful weapon we can give to our girls.”

It’s certainly worked for Zipora, who’s planning on doubling the number of farmers benefiting from her business, and expanding into more sectors. Inspired by her school, she dreams of helping other girls overcome barriers in order to help their own communities, just like she has been able to do.

Every girl counts.

130 million girls don’t have access to an education. So we’re asking the world to count them, one by one.

JOIN THE COUNT

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER