tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

31/07/2017

The 2017 Music Mash Up summer camp kicks off in Cork City

The 2017 Music Mash Up summer camp kicks off in Cork City

The 2017 Music Mash Up summer camp has kicked off in Cork City - a jam-packed week full of fun inclusive music-making, performance, percussion, singing, instrumental tuition and music technology.

An initiative of the Cork Community Project, Music Mash Up is run in partnership with the COPE Foundation, Foróige Mayfield, Foróige St. Joseph’s, Foróige Lotamore, the Voices of Cork and Music Generation Cork City.  

The programme aims to forge strong community links, understanding, inclusion, participation and community development for children and young people through inclusive music education. Combining elements of music therapy, music education, community music and youth work, it provides access to music in a fun, relaxed and inclusive way.

Throughout the year Music Mash Up provides weekly group workshops with experienced professionals in vocals, performance, technology and song writing. Participants are also given an introduction to many different types of instruments including guitar, ukulele, bass guitar, drums to name a few.

This year’s summer camp will bring together dozens of eager young musicians of all abilities and levels of experience, culminating in a celebratory concert on Friday 4th August in Blackpool Shopping Centre.

Keep an eye on the Music Mash Up website and the Music Generation Cork City Facebook page for updates, photos, recordings and more throughout the week!

For more information about Music Generation Cork City, contact:
Music Generation Cork City
Cork Education & Training Board, 21 Lavitt’s Quay, Cork

e: musicgencorkcity@corketb.ie
t: +353 21 4970 185/6
Facebook.com/MusicGenerationCorkCity

Via Music Generation

MEMBERS IN ACTION

Meet Eva, the 17 year old girl who campaigned her govt. for clean water and WON

13 June 2017 3:34PM UTC | By: EVA TOLAGE

ADD YOUR NAME

Tell G20 leaders that all girls count

My name’s Eva. I’m 17 years old. I’ve lived all my life with my family in Malinzanga, a small village in Tanzania.

EVA.gif

Almost two years ago, I decided I wanted to do something about a problem that was stopping me and girls in my community from getting our education.

Everyday, we faced a two hour journey to fetch unsafe water. Everyday it meant we missed classes at school. Even the journey to get the water was dangerous. We risked being assaulted or attacked by wild animals.

But now, we’ve changed that! I launched a campaign to make sure our leaders delivered their promise to provide clean water. I stood strong with my friends and supporters around the world – many of you will have been among them.

We demanded clean water and now we have it!

Last week a new water supply was installed near my school. My community finally has clean safe drinking water.

It’s great news for me, my education and our whole community. Now it only takes 15 minutes to collect water so we can stay in school. And because the water is clean, it will also help stop us getting diseases like diarrhoea.

Getting water for my community has been an incredible journey.

When I first wrote a letter to President Barack Obama in September 2015, calling for leaders to commit and deliver their promises, I didn’t know what would happen next. Then he replied. He even mentioned my letter at the global summit where the Sustainable Development Goals were agreed. Something big like this had never happened in my family. I felt happy and it inspired me to do more locally about the lack of water.

Then last year, me and my classmates launched a petition to call on leaders to give us a safe water supply. I was excited when people around the world supported the campaign using #StandWithEva – in the end, with the support of my community, Restless Development and ONE, 150,000 people signed the petition! I never expected that so many people would support us, people from all over the world. We even got our District Commissioner to sign. And I travelled to Dar es Salaam to talk about the campaign with Tanzania’s Vice President.

Next, we took this all the way to the capital. 14 girls travelled to Dodoma to hand the petition to the Prime Minister and my MP and also got an opportunity to attend the parliamentary sessions and  learn how our representatives participate in debates and make decisions. It is great that Tanzania has shown leadership on the Sustainable Development Goals and to secure a better future for our community.

Eva-petition-handover-Fb-Graphic-2-1024x

Eva Tolage, centre, with PM Kassim Majaliwa; local MP William Lukuvi; January Makamba, MP and minister for Union Affairs and Environment; classmates; teacher Dennis Myovela. (Photo credit: Restless Development)

I’ve learned that the voice of young people like me is important and should be heard. With friends, my community and supporters, we have proved that our power really can change things, that if we stand together leaders will listen. I am so grateful to every individual who in any way supported me. I know this is not my win, it is our win.

Me and millions of other young people know our rights and are not afraid to fight for them. Access to clean water is my right, and now I have it.

eva-family.jpg

Eva with her mum, dad, and two siblings.

I am a leader and there are millions more young people like me around the world who are leading change on the issues that matter to them, just like I did.  I have learned that when we use our power together, our voices become even more powerful and can make change for the better.

If we stand up and make our voices heard, we can hold our leaders to account on promises they have made to us.

If you agree that all girls count, let G20 leaders know that every girl, in every country, deserves an education.

Via ONE

PARTNERHEALTH
AUG. 1, 2017

This Ugandan Midwife Believes Every Baby Can Be Someone Important

"I always imagine that the babies might become someone important in life, or do something great."

Brought to you by: Johnson & Johnson

•  
  •  
  •  

By: Joy Marini, MS, PA-C, and Winnie Mwebesa, MD.

Hours away from bustling Kampala, in a rural district of central Uganda, the sound of a hungry newborn crying echoes through the halls of Nakaseke Hospital. As we enter the hospital’s maternity ward, we see an exhausted but happy midwife, Sister Eva Nangalo.

“I think I was born to be a midwife,” Nangalo, 37, said. 

The night before we arrived, a medical team at the hospital believed that Joseph* would not survive the birth. But Nangalo stood firm against their opinion. And she was right. She had used all of her skills to save this tiny newborn baby.

We weren’t expecting to find a tireless champion for moms and babies in this countryside community hospital miles away from the capital, where they had not had running water or electricity for two days. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 9.04.27 PM.pngMalawian mother and newborn, after birth, in a health facility implementing Save the Children’s Helping Babies Breathe program funded by Johnson & Johnson.
Image: Mark Tuschman/Johnson & Johnson

“I feel part of the solution. When women are in labor, you will find them crying in pain. A government hospital like ours attends to women from all backgrounds — some are very poor, but that does not put me off. I come to their rescue. A woman who is in pain needs love. She needs to be comforted and shown that someone cares. That is what I do for them” Nangalo said.

Nangalo’s journey into midwifery was not an easy one.

Nangalo, who entered midwifery school against the wishes of her father, quickly learned that of the 103 new entrants, she was the only one who did not have an advanced level of secondary schooling. But what she lacked in qualifications, Nangalo made up for in passion and hard work. 

Now, Nangalo is part of the global midwifery advocacy strategy group.

This passion led her to grow her midwifery skills through Helping Babies Breathe (HBB), a training program administered by Save the Children in partnership with Johnson & Johnson.

Helping Babies Breathe is helping to significantly improve outcomes among newborns in Malawi and Uganda. During 2016, in Malawi, the project was implemented in six districts (Dedza, Mulanje, Mzimba North, Mzimba South, Neno and Ntchisi) with four districts focusing on intensive quality improvement activities across eight high volume health facilities. During 2016, a total of 77,377 babies were born alive in project-supported facilities. The number of babies asphyxiated in 2016 was 4,706, with 81.1% (3,816) of those babies being successfully resuscitated.

In Uganda, the project was implemented in three districts (Kampala, Mukono and Wakiso) across 32 high volume health facilities that reach vulnerable populations, including the urban poor. Across the 32 health facilities with a trained provider, 97% of babies born not breathing were successfully resuscitated. The number of babies resuscitated in 2016 was 2,003, with 96.5% (1,933) of those
babies being successfully resuscitated.

“I reflected on what I was learning in the HBB training and compared it to the care I provided to babies previously,” Nangalo explained.

She said she realized during the training that she and her colleagues must have considered some babies to be stillborn right after birth, not realizing those babies could be supported to start breathing.

“It breaks my heart to see a baby or a mother die. I always imagine that the babies might become someone important in life, or do something really great. So why shouldn’t we give them a chance?” she added. 

But now, Nangalo has joined a global midwifery advocacy strategy group that is advocating for midwifery voices to be recognized around the world and sharing her life-saving knowledge with the world. 

You can take action to urge Ugandan leaders to prioritize matnernal and child health. Download the Global Citizen app now and start taking action. 

HBB_Uganda_save the children.jpgImage: Save The Children

A new mother wraps her two-day-old preterm baby boy onto her bare skin to keep him warm at a hospital in Uganda. Save the Children trains hospital staff to promote the technique known as "Kangaroo Mother Care" (KMC) to encourage the survival of prematurely born babies. The prolonged skin-to-skin contact helps the youngest and most vulnerable babies by promoting breastfeeding and reducing infection—all the while providing a great bonding opportunity for mom and baby.

Not shown in the photo is the baby’s twin sister, who was in an incubator at the time of this photograph. The twins were born six weeks premature. The mother heard about KMC during her antenatal care sessions and said that she will be an advocate for KMC with her family and friends, as she knows that it will help her babies achieve normal brain growth and allow them time to develop a special bond.

*Name changed to protect the identity of the child. 

Via ONE

AGRICULTURE

Buzzworthy: Why some Kenyan women have started beekeeping

August 2 2017 | By: THOMSON REUTERS FOUNDATION

JOIN

Join the fight against extreme poverty

Residents of Kailer village normally live to the rhythm of mooing cows and bleating goats. But over the past year, silence has reigned over these swathes of dry land dotted with cacti and mathenge, a dense shrub.

Faced with severe drought, herders and their animals have had to travel further than normal to find water or grazing – and to escape worsening raids on their livestock at home, say the village’s women.

“We don’t know when they’ll return, as cattle raiders may attack them on the way,” said a worried Christine Lewatachum of Kailer, a village in the Rift Valley county of Baringo.

With worsening drought and more erratic rainfall, competition for water and grazing is growing, stoking rivalry and theft between livestock herders.

Women and their children, left to mind some of the animals at home, also find themselves vulnerable to livestock raids – and left without an income when they happen.

But an unusual kind of livestock is helping: bees.

Wild honey bees. (Photo credit: Bob Peterson/Wikimedia Commons)

Wild honey bees. (Photo credit: Bob Peterson/Wikimedia Commons)

Since 2009, women in the village – and others like it in the region – have managed beehives as a new way of earning a living.

They use the hives to produce honey, soap, beauty creams, candles, and cough syrup, among other products, and sell them to residents from neighboring villages.

While the business has been going on for some time, it is proving particularly valuable as droughts grow more frequent and severe.

Even as conditions grow more uncertain, “we want to break free from poverty,” said Josephine Lemangi, one resident.

Solomon Kerieny, an animal production officer at the Ministry of Agriculture, said that a longer dry season and erratic rainfall have severely affected earnings from livestock, making families more vulnerable.

“When houses lose livestock, they lose their livelihood,” he said. “Women need to embrace alternative sources of income like beekeeping so they can withstand weather shocks like these.”

FOILING CATTLE RAIDERS

For women in Baringo county, cattle raids and violence are a fact of life. In 2009, Faith Lekimosong, a member of the women’s group, was forced to leave her village of Kiserian without her livestock – 80 goats and 18 cows – after eight raiders attacked her home.

“After that, I would hear gunshots ringing in my head for a long time,” she recalled, having found refuge in a nearby village.

“It is a nightmare to live in a place where you have no idea if your animals will be there tomorrow,” she added.

The women’s group, which Lewatachum co-founded in 2000, initially specialized in buying and raising dairy goats “to stop depending on our husbands’ income”.

In 2005, however, cattle raiders stole most of the women’s herd. “It was too much,” said Lewatachum. “We sold the few remaining goats and had to find a new solution.”

INCOME AND JOBS

Every three months, the group harvests and sells about 22kg of unprocessed honey for 4,000 Kenyan shillings (about $38). Processed honey sells for three times that price.

A 100g pot of body cream goes for 200 shillings ($2), while a piece of honey soap fetches between 20 and 30 shillings ($0.20-0.30).

Other products made from honey or honeycomb are more unusual.

“The arthritis and asthma syrup, as well as the snake venom antidote, are particularly popular,” said Lewachtum. “Residents often get bitten by snakes lurking in shrubs when fetching water or searching for grazing spots.”

The women display their products at weddings or farm fairs, she said. When they aren’t able to meet demand, they buy honey from other beekeepers.

“In times of drought there is no nectar for bees to feed on, so we can only harvest once a year instead of three times,” said Lemangi, another group member.

The women put the profit they make into a fund from which members can take out loans with a 1 percent interest rate.

This has allowed them to expand their operation to 14 beehives and to buy a 2.25-acre piece of land in the village, where they plan to set up a honey processing plant.

“We will use it (the plant) to increase our production so we can sell products in the rest of the country and offer jobs to women and girls,” said Lewatachum, as she straightened a crumpled bee suit in a makeshift shed.

She said the initiative has provided women with not only a better income but better prospects for the future.

“When the members take out loans, they know they have to pay them back and that prompts them to think about potentially setting up their own businesses or renting a portion of land to farm it,” she said.

Group members now earn an average of 26,000 shillings (about $250) per month from their various businesses, compared to next to nothing previously, as everything was stolen by raiders, she added.

SECURITY STILL AN ISSUE

While the women are becoming more secure economically, continuing insecurity threatens their progress, experts say.

“Without physical security, the women cannot establish long-term investments, as cattle raids or counter-attacks routinely burn houses and injure residents,” said Tom Nyamache, a professor of economics at Kenya’s Turkana University College.

In February, the government deployed over 100 police reservists to the area to reinforce local authorities – but even they were attacked by the bandits, Nyamache said.

But while cattle raids continue, the beehives have so far remained intact.

This story was originally published at Thomson Reuters Foundation News.

Via ONE

This is the simple reason some countries struggle to fight pandemics

April 7 2017 | By: SPENCER CRAWFORD

JOIN

It’s easy to focus on what makes us unhealthy.  In the past four years alone, there have been over 500 disease outbreaks in developed and developing countries alike ranging from the more common flu to the more extreme Ebola and Zika.

But this World Health Day, we’re focusing on who keeps us healthy: skilled health professionals like nurses, midwives, and doctors.  Because these are the individuals that so often determine how a disease outbreak will end: with swift containment or a prolonged health crisis.

Take, for example, Canada’s response to the deadly H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic in 2009 that occurred in 214 countries and killed over 18,500 people.

When the swine flu hit Canada, Canada’s health system sprang into action, enacting the largest vaccination campaign in the country’s history.  At the national level, the Canadian federal government purchased and distributed vaccines to the provinces, which in turn determined the best way to administer the vaccine.

At the local level, health workers in hospitals and labs helped identify, treat and prevent cases of H1N1 in real-time. Canada’s health workforce, combined with a strong surveillance system and high-level of coordination led to control of the epidemic.

Contrast Canada’s example with the case of Liberia in the 2014-15 Ebola epidemic that infected over 28,000 people across 10 countries, primarily in West Africa.

Civil war in Liberia destroyed over a third of the country’s health facilities and depleted the country’s health workforce. In fact, there were fewer skilled Liberian health workers then than students at Harvard and Johns Hopkins medical schools combined. The number of cases rapidly overwhelmed health facilities that lacked treatment beds, supplies, and essential medicines. Healthcare workers weren’t adequately protected, resulting in over 400 health workers becoming infected and the three largest hospitals in the capital of Liberia closing.  More people died of Ebola in Liberia than in any other country and its economy was devastated. Liberia lost $300 million due to the epidemic – a whopping 15% of its GDP – and 40% fewer people, especially women, were working since the crisis’ onset.

There are a number of reasons why the case of Canada and Liberia are different. For example, Canada has more financial resources, better ability to control national borders, and swine H1N1 had a vaccine whereas Ebola did not.  These are not insignificant factors.   But at the most basic level, the presence of a strong health workforce who can find patients, administer treatments and promote healthy behavior matters, and often makes the difference between stopping an epidemic from the outset or not.

The World Health Organisation recommends that a country ideally has 44.5 doctors, nurses, and midwives per 10,000 people. Canada has 118; Liberia has just 3.

A country’s investment in its own health system, with support from foreign aid when needed, is essential to building health workforce capacity and emergency preparedness. Consider Liberia, which since the Ebola outbreak has put its health workforce at the center of their recovery efforts, investing in a community health worker initiative to deploy 4,000 health workers to serve the 1.2 million Liberians living too far from the nearest health center.

Disease outbreaks happen, but the prolonged health and economic backlashes don’t have to. Investing in health systems and the healthcare workers that make them work today – especially in the world’s poorest countries – can stop disease outbreaks tomorrow both at home and abroad.

Via ONE

Kit Harington has joined our call to urge the Government to #StopSleepInCrisis. Will you join him?

Some of the most vulnerable people in our society will be left, without care, without hope and without an independent future.

Sign our petition and share this post. People’s vital care depends on your support.http://ow.ly/Dugb30e6Ite

Via Mencap

02/08/2017

‘Limerick Voices Volume 1’ is available to stream and download from iTunes & Spotify

‘Limerick Voices Volume 1’ is available to stream and download from iTunes & Spotify

Tuesday, 1 August saw the launch of ‘Limerick Voices Volume 1’, an album of music created and performed entirely by the young people involved in the first intake of Music Generation Limerick City’s ‘Limerick Voices’ song-writing programme. The launch took place within a crowded Culture House, Pery Square, where representatives from Limerick Clare ETB and Jan O’Sullivan TD joined the artists and tutors behind the CD.

Limerick Voices Volume 1 was made possible through funding under the Music Generation/Arts Council Partnership and thanks to support from the Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board, the JP McManus Benevolent Fund and the Limerick Regeneration Social Intervention Fund.

Launched by Music Generation Limerick City in 2014, Limerick Voices is based on the desire to foster creative musical expression in young people. The programme aims to create a safe space in which to create music, write songs, try out new ideas, learn and hone new techniques.

Participants are helped on their journey by a diverse and flexible group of musician-mentors, all of whom are active and accomplished performers, recording artists, producers and promoters, encompassing a broad spectrum of musical styles and approaches.

Sessions are open to young musicians of all levels of experience ages 13+. They comprise workshops in song-writing, rap, singing, guitar, bass, ukulele, keys, drums, recording, performance and more.

This first professionally mixed and mastered Limerick Voices CD reflects the wide-ranging and individually-oriented approach within the programme. The songs range from acoustic reflections, radio-ready rock anthems and hard-edged rap encompassing broad themes explored by the young musicians with passion, individuality and skill.

The full album can be streamed on Spotify and is available to purchase on iTunes.

For more information about Limerick Voices and other initiatives at Music Generation Limerick City, contact:

Boris Hunka, Coordinator
Music Generation Limerick City, VTOS Building, Presentation Court, Sexton Street, Limerick City.

T: 087 210 4583
E: boris.hunka@lcetb.ie
musicgenerationlimerickcity.com/

Via Music Generation

CULTURE

10 documentaries worth talking about

20 December 2016 5:00PM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

Social movements begin with a conversation. Documentaries provide the perfect platform for dialogue. They serve as powerful tools that bring important topics to the table and inform us about our world in a way that kindles dialogue, and ultimately, larger social movements.

So we encourage you to come together and watch one (or ten) of these incredible documentaries and have a discussion about the critical issues of our time.

1) He Named Me Malala

HE NAMED ME MALALA is an intimate portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai, who was targeted by the Taliban and severely wounded by a gunshot at the age of 15. She currently works as a leading campaigner for girls’ education globally as co-founder of the Malala Fund.

HE NAMED ME MALALA: Malala Yousafzai at the Jordan/Syrian border. Feb 16, 2014. Credit: Photo by Gina Nemirofsky. © 2015 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation All Rights Reserved

HE NAMED ME MALALA: Malala Yousafzai at the Jordan/Syrian border. Feb 16, 2014. Credit: Photo by Gina Nemirofsky. © 2015 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation All Rights Reserved

2) The Carrier

Set in a remote Zambian village, THE CARRIER offers a stunning portrait of both a family and community caught in a desperate struggle to Prevent Mother-To-Child Transmission (PMTCT) of HIV and to liberate future generations from the vicious cycle by stopping the AIDS epidemic in its tracks.

THE CARRIER Credit: KAT WESTERGAARD

THE CARRIER Credit: KAT WESTERGAARD

3) Virunga 

VIRUNGA is a gripping exposé of the realities of life in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the incredible true story of a group of brave people risking their lives to build a better future in a part of Africa the world has forgotten.

Andre With Gorilla Virunga National Park Credit: Orlando von Einsiedel

Andre With Gorilla Virunga National Park Credit: Orlando von Einsiedel

4) Call Me Kuchu

In Uganda, a new bill makes homosexuality punishable by death. CALL ME KUCHU follows the activists working against the clock to defeat state-sanctioned homophobia while combating vicious persecution in their daily lives.

One of the many front-page stories published by Ugandan newspaper, The Rolling Stone, which terrorised the LGBT community

One of the many front-page stories published by Ugandan newspaper, The Rolling Stone, which terrorised the LGBT community

5) Sweet Dreams

SWEET DREAMS follows a remarkable group of Rwandan women as they emerge from the devastation of the 1994 genocide to create a new future for themselves through drumming and ice cream. In the words of Kiki Katese, the founding member of the all-female drumming troupe Ingoma Nshya “Because of our history, people know how to fight against, but not for. We want to change that equation.”

sweet-dreams

6) E-Team 

Anna, Ole, Fred, and Peter are four members of the Emergencies Team, the most intrepid division of the respected, international Human Rights Watch organisation. E-TEAM is the personal, intimate story of how they lead their lives as they set out to shine light in dark places and give voice to thousands whose stories would never otherwise have been told.

eteam

7) Pray The Devil Back to Hell

PRAY THE DEVIL BACK TO HELL chronicles the story of the Liberian women who came together to end war and bring peace to their country. Armed only with white T-shirts and the courage of their convictions, ordinary mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and daughters demanded a resolution to the country’s civil war.

: Liberian women demonstrate at the American Embassy in Monrovia at the height of the civil war in July 2003 Photo Credit: Pewee Flomoku

Liberian women demonstrate at the American Embassy in Monrovia at the height of the civil war in July 2003                                                                                                   Photo Credit: Pewee Flomoku

8) Sepideh

Can a young Iranian woman become an astronaut? SEPIDEH: REACHING FOR THE STARS is the story of a remarkable teenage girl named Sepideh who defies societal expectations and courageously works to make her dream come true.

Sepideh with Telescope Credit: Paul Wilson

Sepideh with Telescope Credit: Paul Wilson

9) The Devil Came on Horseback 

THE DEVIL CAME ON HORSEBACK follows former US Marine Captain Brian Steidle as he documents the genocide in Darfur, Sudan. Upon his return to the US, Steidle campaigns for international intervention and becomes frustrated by the inaction of politicians back home.

Brian Steidle with the African Union team

Brian Steidle with the African Union team

10) Double feature: The Act of Killing/The Look of Silence

THE ACT OF KILLING follows former Indonesian death squad leaders as they are challenged to re-enact real-life mass killings in the cinematic genres of their choice, from classic Hollywood crime scenarios to lavish musical numbers. We recommend that you watch the “Director’s Cut” version of this film.

FISH Credit: Photo by Joshua Oppenheimer (framegrab)

FISH Credit: Photo by Joshua Oppenheimer (framegrab)

THE LOOK OF SILENCE serves as a powerful companion piece to THE ACT OF KILLING by initiating and bearing witness to the collapse of fifty years of silence surrounding the 1965 Indonesian genocide. It tells the story of a family of survivors who discover how their son was murdered and the identities of the killers through footage of the genocide perpetrators in THE ACT OF KILLING.

Photo by Joshua Oppenheimer (framegrab)

Photo by Joshua Oppenheimer (framegrab)

Influence Film Club is a non-profit organisation with an online platform that seeks to engage new and diverse audiences around documentary film. Find resources and documentary recommendations to watch alone or with your film club at Influence Film Club

Via ONE