tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

Social Media Assistant

Trabajo de jornada completa
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Social Media Assistant will work hand-in-hand with the (RED) Social Media and Content Senior Manager to create social content, maintain our primary channels, plan social media posts and draft all copy. The Social Media Assistant will help drive engagement with (RED)’s audience and growth to new audiences. This position reports to the Social Media and Content Senior Manager and is based in New York, NY.

IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:

Responsible for day-to-day management of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — including content creation, copywriting, social planning and community management.
Draft social content across social platforms to grow our evergreen social calendar.
Organize and schedule social content with a focus on bold and engaging copy
Collaborate closely with design team, coordinate creative assets and manage delivery on deadline
Identify can't-miss social media engagement opportunities for the (RED) brand.
Become a master of the (RED) voice, engaging social audiences with strong copy
Create content that is emotive and exciting, while scaling to a global audience
Develop, pitch and execute new ideas for original social content.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:

Roughly one year of professional experience in social
Passion for social media and has extensive knowledge of the latest digital trends
Works at a fast pace without compromising attention to detail
Obsessed with attention to detail
Strong communicator with exceptional writing skills
Ability to multitask and work at a fast pace while managing multiple deadlines
Team player who is able to thrive in fast-paced, results-oriented environment
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to our jobs page. Candidates that do not submit cover letters may not be considered. Please note that applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We thank all candidates for their interest but we can only contact candidates selected for interview. Please no phone calls.

Only candidates that are eligible to work in the US without restriction need apply.
49 W 27th St
New York, NY 10001-6902
Publicado hace 8 horas

Via (RED)

HIV/AIDS

This beauty queen used Facebook to declare her HIV status. Her reason is incredible.

3 October 2016 3:56PM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

Join the fight against extreme poverty

By Prudence Nyamishana

Robinah Babirye was just 10 years old when her mother told her she was HIV positive.

“My mother took my twin sister and I in her room and told us that we were HIV positive,” she says. “My heart was broken. I felt like my life had come to an end. I asked myself many questions that I never got answers to.”

Robinah-speaking-to-the-women-of-Kikubamutwe-slum-in-Kampala-during-the-Womens-Day-2016-celebrations--1024x683.jpg

Robinah speaking to the women of Kikubamutwe slum in Kampala during the Women’s Day 2016 celebrations.

As she got older, Robinah kept her HIV status a secret at school out of fear of rejection.

“Because I couldn’t trust anyone, I turned to my journal,” she says. “I wrote down things I couldn’t tell even my mother. I wrote my pain, my joys, and every time I finished writing, I felt better.”

Like many in her generation, Robinah turned to Facebook. One morning, she decided to send a message that she would not be beaten: It was time to tell the world about her status. She put on a t-shirt that read, “HIV Positive,” took a photo, posted it on her Facebook page, and waited in trepidation for the responses.

“People contacted me and encouraged me. Some were other young people living with HIV who were amazed at my audacity,” she says. “I got phone calls from friends that were feeling sorry for me and those that were mad at me for making such a joke.”

Robinah Distributing condoms to people in Kikubamutwe in Kampala, Uganda.

Robinah distributing condoms to people in Kikubamutwe in Kampala, Uganda.

That was the beginning of Robinah’s journey as an HIV/AIDS ambassador. Emboldened, a few months later, she joined a support group of young people living with HIV who would meet and share their stories. This was an opportunity for her to share her own, giving her the strength she needed to feel like she could move forward with her life.

“I now had purpose,” she says. “I was full of life and I was ready to conquer the world.”

In 2014, Robinah heard about a Miss Young Positive beauty contest organised by the Uganda Network of Young People Living with HIV. She knew that declaring her status on such a public forum could be either a blessing or a curse—but she went for it anyway.

“I decided to enter the contest for Miss YPLus 2015. The contestants were prettier than me and they had these amazing projects they were doing,” she says. “But I just presented myself as I was, and I won! This was the happiest day of my life.”

Robinah-at-the-Miss-young-Positive-Beauty-Peageant-.jpg

Robinah at the Miss Young Positive Beauty Peageant

Robinah, now 23, has been unstoppable ever since. She’s shared her story at countless conferences in Uganda, and traveled to Australia to speak to an audience of about 15,000 people during the 2014 AIDS conference. She was named Young Personality of the Year by the World Savers Network, and spoke at the ICASA AIDS conference in Zimbabwe. Many young Zimbabweans followed her after the conference to ask her how she manages to be that courageous.

“I told these young Zimbabweans that regardless of my HIV status, I have chosen to be happy,” she says.

She is currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in community-based rehabilitation at Kyambogo University in Uganda. After college, Robinah says that she would like to reach out to young, HIV-positive mothers.

“My life’s mission is to fight stigma against people living with HIV,” says Robinah.

“I keep going because many young and old people have approached me to confide in me,” she says. “I get countless phone calls from strangers and this makes me feel like I am a change agent.”

Robinah at the ICASA Zimbababwe conference.

Robinah at the ICASA Zimbababwe conference.

Asked whether she had a message for people reading her story, Robinah said: “Life is not simply about living; it is about how you live it. Don’t dwell on the past; use the present to create a foundation for the future. It is entirely up to you to determine how firm your foundation will be.”

Everyone can appreciate those wise words from a determined woman who has already done so much to change her own life, and those of countless other people living with HIV.

Want to know what you can do to help girls and women like Robinah? Join ONE today to help end extreme poverty!

Via ONE

HEALTH

The three deadly delays costing Nigerian women their lives

15 October 2016 12:45PM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

It’s a 20-minute speedboat ride from Lagos’ Liverpool jetty to Onisiwo island, and our small wooden outboard is dwarfed as we slip past giant dredgers and towering cargo ships towards the relative calm of the island.

Onisiwo island, home to 27 villages and an estimated 350 ­­­000 people, is considered one of the most under-developed parts of Lagos. There is no electricity or running water and many residents leave the island each day by canoe, headed for jobs, markets and schools on the mainland. There are no cars or motorbikes on the island and all groceries, drinking water, building material and fuel (for the rare generator) must be transported by boat from the mainland.

“In the developed world, it is rich people that live along the seashore, but here it is the very poor,” says Reverend Andrew Duya, a community activist working on health and education.

As the Nigerian fuel shortage bites, the prices of a boat fare to the mainland inches upwards, putting it out of reach for many island residents who are subsistence fisherfolk and traders.
None feel the distance across the water to the mainland as much as pregnant women, dreading the often-dangerous boat ride to hospital but fearing to give birth on the island.

There is a small health centre built by the local government, which has often benefited from outreach clinics organised by the US Embassy, deploying navy doctors. Now the clinic, which dispenses basic medicines has one trained doctor and a traditional birth attendant at hand. But the women of the community say the doctor lives faraway and does not work every day. The World Health Organisation (WHO) standard is a minimum of 23 doctors, nurses and midwives per 10 000 people. If women go into labour on a day the sole doctor is not working, or at night, they have two choices: brave the dark water and the boat ride to the mainland, or deliver at home.

52h7999

“We need a hospital,” says Bola Ibrahim (34) flatly. Ibrahim has given birth to three children, but lost another three to miscarriage. “Mostly women go into labour at night and it’s risky to get into a boat in the dark. Sometimes there is no boat and the woman has to wait for one to arrive. The boats stop running at 10pm so if it is after that we must find someone in the community with a canoe who can paddle us across – that takes about 45 minutes,”.

While she is happy to have a small clinic on the island, she says they do not stock any but the most basic drugs, and patients are forced to go to the mainland to buy the more expensive medicines that the clinic does not have. “My five-year-old son had a high temperature and started having convulsions. They gave him medicine at the clinic but when we got home, the convulsions started again: it was the scariest thing I have ever seen!” exclaims Ibrahim. “I went back to the clinic again but they didn’t have the drugs he needed so I had to go to buy them on the mainland.”

Ibrahim runs a small shop on the island, and is slightly better off than some women in the community. For those with no income, travelling to the mainland is not an option, and buying extra medicine simply beyond their reach.

Busayo Ganiu (19) is one of those with few options: her husband is away in town looking for work and her grandmother supports her. Heavily pregnant, Ganiu has her three-year-old strapped to her back, where the child cries fretfully, her lips dry with fever. The child is clearly dehydrated but Ganiu doesn’t have the 50 naira (13p/18c) she needs to buy sugar to mix with salt in a home-made rehydration mix.

“My first born has a fever and a cough but they won’t give her medicine at the clinic without money. I don’t have money so I give her herbal potions instead. I don’t know what is inside but it makes the baby vomit, and it helps.”

Like many poor Nigerians, Ganiu relies on traditional herbal potions, cheaply and readily available from local hawkers. Unfortunately, there is no quality control on these mixtures, and it is impossible to tell if they are healing or harming patients.

Onye-1-300x165.jpg

Travelling to the mainland is not an option for Ganiu and she intends to have her second baby at the local clinic. “The last time the community nurse delivered me at the clinic, but they had no medicine, not even sanitary pads.” She was forced to wad up old clothes and use those instead. “We need the government to give us good hospitals and trained staff, with enough drugs. It upsets me that we have to pay – this service should be free. Here it will cost me about N10 000 to deliver my baby (US$35/GBP26) and even though it is supposed to be free, we pay.”

She would prefer to give birth on the mainland but that is even further out of her reach, as the medical fees alone would cost N15 000, excluding transport costs. “I don’t have an option,” she says bitterly. “As a mother, if I could get free health services, I would be very happy.”

Her grandmother prepares a traditional medicine for her, claiming it will ensure a smooth delivery. Instead it gives her abdominal pain, but she says she cannot stop taking it, as she cannot do her chores without it and her back becomes painful. She takes us to her one-room home, furnished with little more than a sponge mattress on the floor and some cooking pots. “If I go into labour in the middle of the night I will just have to do it on my own. I can push but my neighbours will have to come pull the baby out. If I scream for help, they will hear me and come.”

“The concerns we are hearing from these women are what we call the Three Delays,” says Dr Francis Ohanyido, senior policy advisor for the ONE campaign. “These are delays in seeking care which is often linked to low status of women, delays in reaching care because of distance, and delays in receiving adequate care because of poor facilities or inadequate medical supplies.”

Add your voice to the movement of people who are taking a stand for better health care through increased investments for the whole of Nigeria. Sign our petition.

This article first appeared on The Guardian 

Via ONE

MEMBERS IN ACTION

Meet Eva, the 17 year old girl who campaigned her govt. for clean water and WON

13 June 2017 3:34PM UTC | By: EVA TOLAGE

ADD YOUR NAME

Tell G20 leaders that all girls count

My name’s Eva. I’m 17 years old. I’ve lived all my life with my family in Malinzanga, a small village in Tanzania.

EVA.gif

Almost two years ago, I decided I wanted to do something about a problem that was stopping me and girls in my community from getting our education.

Everyday, we faced a two hour journey to fetch unsafe water. Everyday it meant we missed classes at school. Even the journey to get the water was dangerous. We risked being assaulted or attacked by wild animals.

But now, we’ve changed that! I launched a campaign to make sure our leaders delivered their promise to provide clean water. I stood strong with my friends and supporters around the world – many of you will have been among them.

We demanded clean water and now we have it!

Last week a new water supply was installed near my school. My community finally has clean safe drinking water.

It’s great news for me, my education and our whole community. Now it only takes 15 minutes to collect water so we can stay in school. And because the water is clean, it will also help stop us getting diseases like diarrhoea.

Getting water for my community has been an incredible journey.

When I first wrote a letter to President Barack Obama in September 2015, calling for leaders to commit and deliver their promises, I didn’t know what would happen next. Then he replied. He even mentioned my letter at the global summit where the Sustainable Development Goals were agreed. Something big like this had never happened in my family. I felt happy and it inspired me to do more locally about the lack of water.

Then last year, me and my classmates launched a petition to call on leaders to give us a safe water supply. I was excited when people around the world supported the campaign using #StandWithEva – in the end, with the support of my community, Restless Development and ONE, 150,000 people signed the petition! I never expected that so many people would support us, people from all over the world. We even got our District Commissioner to sign. And I travelled to Dar es Salaam to talk about the campaign with Tanzania’s Vice President.

Next, we took this all the way to the capital. 14 girls travelled to Dodoma to hand the petition to the Prime Minister and my MP and also got an opportunity to attend the parliamentary sessions and  learn how our representatives participate in debates and make decisions. It is great that Tanzania has shown leadership on the Sustainable Development Goals and to secure a better future for our community.

Eva-petition-handover-Fb-Graphic-2-1024x

Eva Tolage, centre, with PM Kassim Majaliwa; local MP William Lukuvi; January Makamba, MP and minister for Union Affairs and Environment; classmates; teacher Dennis Myovela. (Photo credit: Restless Development)

I’ve learned that the voice of young people like me is important and should be heard. With friends, my community and supporters, we have proved that our power really can change things, that if we stand together leaders will listen. I am so grateful to every individual who in any way supported me. I know this is not my win, it is our win.

Me and millions of other young people know our rights and are not afraid to fight for them. Access to clean water is my right, and now I have it.

eva-family.jpg

Eva with her mum, dad, and two siblings.

I am a leader and there are millions more young people like me around the world who are leading change on the issues that matter to them, just like I did.  I have learned that when we use our power together, our voices become even more powerful and can make change for the better.

If we stand up and make our voices heard, we can hold our leaders to account on promises they have made to us.

If you agree that all girls count, let G20 leaders know that every girl, in every country, deserves an education.

Via ONE

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Music Generation

WHAT'S HAPPENING

My Department would like to thank U2 and The Ireland Funds for their philanthropic donation which has seed funded this remarkable initiative, and to also thank the Local Music Education Partnerships who have provided, and will continue to provide, 50% funding to ensure its success into the future.
- Jan O’Sullivan TD, Minister for Education and Skills

← return to blog

27/07/2017

Opportunities at Music Generation Louth

Opportunities at Music Generation Louth

Louth and Meath Education and Training Board, on behalf of Music Generation Louth, is recruiting for musicians/music tutors, and for a full-time and part-time resource person.

Applications are invited for the following positions that may become available in the next academic year 2017/18.

1. Resource Person – Full-time and Part-time

Positions are management roles, assisting the Coordinator with administrative and teaching duties. A high degree of motivation, flexibility and commitment to providing high-quality, innovative music teaching practice is essential.

Ideal candidates will hold appropriate third-level qualifications in music and/or music teaching and will demonstrate a high degree of relevant skills and experience in administration, musical performance and teaching.

Find full details and application information online

2. Tutors – Part-time

Ideal candidates will demonstrate a high degree of relevant skills and experience in musical performance and teaching, and a passion for teaching, learning and nurturing the musical development of children and young people

An appropriate third-level qualification in music is essential.

Find full details and application information online.

The closing date for receipt of applications for all positions is 4pm, 4th August 2017. Please note that no CVs, only the official online application form, will be accepted

For more information about Music Generation Louth programmes and events contact:

Gemma Murray, Coordinator, Music Generation Louth
Music Generation Louth, Chapel Street, Dundalk, County Louth

T: +353 42 933 4047
www.musicgenerationlouth.ie

Bookmark and Share

Ireland's National Music Education Programme.
A Music Network Initiative, co-funded by U2, The Ireland Funds,
The Department of Education and Skills and Local Music Education Partnerships

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

© Music Generation DAC. All Rights Reserved. Registered in Ireland No. 491331. Charity Reg. No. CHY 19679.
NCH Building, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2. Telephone: +353 1 4758454

#ThrowbackThursday

Today we're taking a moment to remember Sasha's heartfelt message in honour of the CCI initiated United Nations Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day on 26th April this year. This video, which Sasha filmed in our Independent Living Unit, touched the heart of the nation and went on to feature on RTÉ News.

Thank you, Sasha, for this incredible video 2764.png<3 
#UNChernobylDay

Skip to content
Awesome! This is how Kenyans are beating poverty through yoga
AID AND DEVELOPMENT

Awesome! This is how Kenyans are beating poverty through yoga

14 June 2017 7:06PM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

By Melissa Catelli. A version of this post was originally published by Take Part.  

For most travellers, a Kenyan safari involves days of patiently waiting for a glimpse of lions, elephants, or an elusive leopard hiding in the bush. For native New Yorker Paige Elenson, a 2006 family safari yielded a far less conventional sighting: a group of young Kenyan acrobats doing handstands in the middle of the bush.

“As a yoga teacher, my first reaction was to jump out of the vehicle and do handstands with [them],” Elenson says—so she did, leaving the safari group behind.

It was a brief encounter, but Elenson’s skills—honed over 15 years—impressed them. Shortly after returning home, she got an email from the acrobats, members of the Sarakasi Trust, asking her to come back and teach them yoga. At first, Elenson, a full-time yoga teacher, declined their requests, sending them yoga books and DVDs instead. But their persistence paid off.

A Seva Safari participant practicing yoga with members of the Maasai tribe in Amboseli National Park, Kenya. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

A Seva Safari participant practising yoga with members of the Maasai tribe in Amboseli National Park, Kenya. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

Elenson returned and started volunteering in some informal settlement communities and was asked to teach a class at a private gym. At the time, the city was home to just five yoga teachers and the health and wellness industry in Kenya was only accessible to a small number of wealthy individuals. On average, a single yoga class cost each participant 500 Kenyan shillings, or approximately $5.50.

So Elenson came up with an idea: Why not create a way to train unemployed youths from marginalised communities and help them earn money teaching yoga?

Photo Credit: Miranda Adler

Photo Credit: Miranda Adler

That year, she founded the Africa Yoga Project (AYP). The program provides a scholarship-based, 200-hour teacher training course to residents ages 18 to 35 from slums and informal settlements across Kenya; the goal is to help the teachers spread health and well-being throughout their communities while also providing them with a stable income. To qualify for the program, Elenson requires that applicants be African nationals, demonstrate financial need, and be “committed to becoming a yoga teacher and serving communities.”

Participants who have completed all of their requirements are provided health benefits and a stipend of roughly $100 per month over the course of three years to teach five weekly outreach classes free of charge in their communities. Teachers are required to open a bank account in order to receive their monthly stipend, encouraging long-term financial responsibility as well.

The weekly community outreach classes take place in various locations, including schools and acrobat training camps, but also areas of need such as orphanages, HIV centres, and prisons. More than 200 local AYP-trained instructors teach approximately 300 classes and reach 6,000 people each week in Kenya.

Eason says most of the current teachers were unemployed prior to working with Africa Yoga Project and were living in some of Kenya’s poorest slums. “For many of them, their way of making a living [was] through pickpocketing or theft,” she says.

Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 3.53.46 PMNairobi local Eliam Wanji, 27, had never heard of yoga until her sisters started practising with AYP. Prior to AYP, she held a variety of different casual jobs, from beading to garbage collection, but her income was never consistent.

Nairobi local Eliam Wanji, in half moon pose, has been teaching yoga through AYP for the past five years. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

Nairobi local Eliam Wanji, in half moon pose, has been teaching yoga through AYP for the past five years. (Photo credit: Africa Yoga Project)

“The most I made one time was 7,500 shillings [equivalent to $82], and I felt like I was the richest person on earth,” she says. “There is no way I can compare AYP and former jobs. It’s like comparing death and sleep.” Today, four members of Wanji’s family are teaching yoga, and she’s been with the organisation for five years.

For Wanji, the most challenging and rewarding part of her training with AYP was learning about forgiveness and building trust. “It’s hard to go back and teach the same communities we may have stolen from. We were asked to call people that we needed to forgive and also ask for forgiveness,” she says. “I am the better for it, as it helped set me free [so] I could move on with my life.”

Eight years in, Elenson says she’s most proud of how the program has helped participants enter Kenya’s middle class while serving their communities and doing something they enjoy. “Some AYP teachers have moved from living in what they referred to as slums to new homes, starting families, supporting family members with school fees, and working on new income generating projects,” she says.

This post was originally published in June 2015. Click here to learn more the Africa Yoga Project. 

Name
Email
Post/zip code
Country         Select country Afghanistan Åland Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos Islands Colombia Comoros Cook Islands Costa Rica Côte d'Ivoire Country of Sint Maarten Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of the Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Korea Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Republic of the Congo Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino São Tomé and Príncipe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu U.S. Virgin Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Wallis and Futuna Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe       

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER

AUTHOR

GUEST BLOGGER
14 June 2017 7:06PM UTC

TOPICS