tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

Global Citizen is a community of people like you

People who want to learn about and take action on the world’s biggest challenges. Extreme poverty ends with you.

Learn more

AUG. 3, 2017

Meet the Woman Trying to Become the First Female African American Mayor of Cincinnati

She’s got her eye on the glass ceiling.

Tess Sohngen

By Tess Sohngen

Brought to you by: CHIME FOR CHANGE

ys_headshot_copy.jpg
  •  
  •  
  •  

Around the world, fewer than one-quarter of lawmakers are women — an imbalance in representation that affects how laws are crafted and passed and how equality is created in societies. Global Citizen’s series, “Who Run The Gov? Girls!”  chronicles the massive uptick in women running for office, regardless of political party, in the US and around the world, highlighting the candidates and the groups helping them to run, the challenges they face, advice & tips for running, and the results.

Who Run The Gov_Logo_Color.png

Yvette Simpson knows how to win a battle  — against political opponents, against systemic poverty, against racism.

Simpson, a 38-year-old city council member in Cincinnati, Ohio, was raised in poverty by a mentally-ill mother and absentee father who was addicted to cocaine. She’s also a lawyer, an advocate, a campaign advisor, and she’s won both of her elections for city council.

In May, she pulled a major upset in the primary election against incumbent Mayor John Cranley.

Now, she faces her next major quest for victory. If elected in November, Simpson will become the first African American female mayor in Cincinnati history.

Read More:250,000 Women in Office by 2030. This Group Is Making It Happen

Simpson was raised with her sister and her two cousins by their grandmother in a Lincoln Heights housing project where she learned that one didn’t need material things to be successful.

“Our life was a struggle. We were poor, but we had a lot of love,” Simpson told Global Citizen. “We lived in a community that was more like a village than a neighborhood.”

YSC1-129(1).jpg

She lived there until high school when her grandmother became sick, after which Simpson bounced around to the homes of different family members and friends. But Simpson had a goal, and despite the obstacles she would have had to overcome, she was determined to break out of the cycle.

“I had a real sense of justice, a real sense of honor and integrity, even back then,” Simpson said.

At 8 years old, she decided she wanted to be a lawyer.

“I think, based on what was going on in my life, I saw the law as a way to make change,” Simpson said. “Things just shouldn’t be the way they are.”

Supported by her mentors and school counselors, Simpson worked hard and graduated from high school with a full scholarship to Miami University, becoming the first in her family to attend college. She went on to receive her law degree from the University of Cincinnati, then her M.B.A. at Xavier University, before practicing law at two Cincinnati firms.

As an attorney, she realized quickly that she could only have a limited effect on the cases in front of her, she said.

“You can’t make community change one case at a time,” Simpson said. “I wanted to do something more impactful in my community, but I was not sure what that was.”

16143620_1394280103915834_7477416979638023476_o.jpg

In search of that missing something, Simpson helped establish Miami University’s first pre-law program and served as its director until 2012.

During that time, Simpson met Roxanne Qualls, a previous mayor of Cincinnati and the second woman to hold the position, who was then teaching at Northern Kentucky University. Qualls had left public service to teach at Harvard University before making her way back to Cincinnati.

started paying attention to more of what was going on in Cincinnati. I felt like I could do better, and the only way I knew I could do better was to be involved,” Simpson said.

Read More:How the First Latina Senator Is Fighting Lack of Diversity in Congress

Simpson became involved in Quall’s study on why more women don’t run for office. Although Simpson had no intention of running for office, she worked on Quall’s campaign for mayor in 2013, knocking on doors and making phone calls to constituents.

“I hated campaigning,” Simpson said, reflecting back on her first experience on Qualls campaign.

Simpson swore she would not run herself. Nevertheless, she found herself wanting to create the laws rather than implementing them on a case-by-case basis. She saw running for Cincinnati’s council as the way to do just that.

“I think I said something like ‘when hell froze over,’” she said, laughing. “Well, hell has frozen over, and here I am.”

Let's Get to Work(1).jpg

Simpson called her first campaign in 2012 “the experiment.” She was convinced that she couldn’t win a campaign by just being herself, but that was the only way she wanted to win. So instead of dividing her time and trying to talk to as many people as she could, Simpson had long, deep conversations with constituents who related to her childhood growing up in poverty. She used the same techniques she had learned from Quall’s campaign and knocked on hundreds of doors and made even more phone calls.

“I challenged all my friends, that if I’m not me, if I’m not the person you know me to be, pull me out,” Simpson said.

She won that campaign, and the next.

Since joining the council, Simpson has called for a different approach to how the city handles prostitution and human trafficking in way that aims to help women and children victims rather than arresting them. She hopes to increase resources and collaboration with neighboring communities to address the issue.

“It is one of worst kinds of modern day slavery that we see,” Simpson said. “We should not at all tolerate the sale of human beings.”

YSC1-113.jpg

Read More:This First-Generation American Is the First Muslim-Jew to Run for Office

Drug trafficking has also been a big issue on her plate as a councilwoman. Ohio’s rate of opioid overdoses doubles that of the national average, and the epidemic has hit Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland especially hard. Last summer, Cincinnati police responded 174 overdoses in just 6 days.

Now, Simpson hopes to create environments like the one she grew up in, villages that support their community members and prepare their children for success.

Cincinnati had the second highest rate of child poverty across all US cities in 2012, with over 53% of children living in poverty. That percentage has since fallen to 44.3%, which officials are still calling “an abominable number.”

“We have to change the environments our children live in,” Simpson said.

Recognizing that the issues around child poverty are multifaceted, Simpson believes it can be done. Her personal story is just one example.

When a child was shot in his neighborhood of Avondale, a community of Cincinnati, parents were afraid to let their children play outside during the summer. Simpson worked with the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America to send all the neighborhood kids to camp. Each morning she and her team went to the neighborhood and knocked on doors to make sure every child went to camp. A local principle also showed up each morning; she acknowledged that by knocking on doors and seeing where her students lived gave her a better understand of her students’ lives.

Simpson30.JPG

As Simpson continues to impact her community, she remains conscious of the fears she had before she made her first run for public office.

“How long do you have to be in public service before… you feel like the mountain is too big, too strong, you can’t move? Now I’m six years in, running for mayor, and I’m still here.”

Although Simpson won the primary in May, squaring off head-to-head against incumbent Mayor Cranley will be a tough fight. Cranley beat Qualls in 2013 for the mayoral bid and became the youngest person to serve as mayor of Cincinnati at age 39. Nevertheless, Simpson believes this is her year.

“We are now a city that people are paying attention to,” Simpson said. “Our motto is: We can’t wait. The time is now.”

Tess is an Editorial Intern at Global Citizen. Taking chances on unique opportunities has led her to write for a start-up in London, report for grass root organization in Cincinnati, and volunteer in Zanzibar. Helping create a world in which everyone can achieve wellness, food security, and happiness is her mission.

chime-logo_container.jpg
About Our Partner

CHIME FOR CHANGE is a global campaign founded by Gucci in 2013 to convene, unite and strengthen the voices speaking out for girls and women around the world. The campaign uses innovative approaches to promote gender equality. Co-founded by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter and Salma Hayek Pinault, CHIME FOR CHANGE works with a coalition of partner organizations, including the Kering Foundation, Facebook, and Hearst Magazines.

What's Trending In Girls & Women

Dec. 19, 2016

When I was a little girl in my native Belgium, I was put to work as a sex slave. Read More

Aug. 2, 2017

Her interviewer admits he “never asked a male political leader in 20 years” about their family plans Read More

July 28, 2017

This is historic. Read More

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
  •  

Terms & Conditions

© 2012-2017 Global Poverty Project, Inc All Rights Reserved

This site uses cookies to provide you with the best experience. Read more.
Global Citizen
Global Citizen
FREE - In Google Play
VIEW

People who want to learn about and take action on the world’s biggest challenges. Extreme poverty ends with you.

Learn more

AUG. 3, 2017

Another African Nation Just Promised Free Sanitary Pads to Help Girls Stay in School

One in 10 girls in sub-Saharan Africa misses school because of their period.

By Colleen Curry

botswana_students.jpgFlickr/Nashville First Baptist
  •  
  •  
  •  

Botswana just took a major step toward getting more girls to stay in school and complete their educations — all by way of sanitary pads.

The country’s parliament adopted a motion on Wednesday to provide sanitary pads for all school-aged women in the country, making Botswana the latest African country to take seriously the menstrual hygiene needs of its school-going population, according to OkayAfrica.

Earlier this summer Kenya’s president signed a law enacting a similar program, and the president of Uganda has promised to do the same, though he has not yet done it.

Read More: This African Feminist Was Jailed for Demanding Free Sanitary Pads for Girls

These changes were prompted by a campaign called "Ensuring the Dignity of Women", which since 2015 has been calling on governments to provide free sanitary pads to school-aged women, according to Mmegi Online.

One in 10 girls in sub-Saharan Africa misses multiple days of school during their period, according to the UN. Once they begin to fall behind their male peers, they often find it hard to catch up, which can lead to higher rates of girls dropping out of school early.

When half of a country’s population falls behind in education, a country’s future suffers.

The program will extend to girls in both private and public schools, according to Africa News.

“Government provision of sanitary pads to all schools would improve access to education in a country where many could not afford sanitary products like pads,” said one member of parliament, Polson Majaga, according to the report.

Read More: Kenya Will Give Free Menstrual Pads to Girls

Ngaka Ngaka, another MP, said that poor academic performance in his constituency was “primarily due to the fact that some girl students had to miss school when on their monthly menstrual as parents could not afford to provide them with sanitary pads.”

Colleen Curry is a senior editor at Global Citizen. She has covered domestic and international news for outlets including ABC News, VICE News, and The New York Times, with a particular focus on women's issues, criminal justice, and LGBT rights. She is also pursuing her Master's in Creative Writing, and has had nonfiction published by Sports Illustrated and Marie Claire.

•  
  •  
  •  
chime-logo_container.jpg
About Our Partner

CHIME FOR CHANGE is a global campaign founded by Gucci in 2013 to convene, unite and strengthen the voices speaking out for girls and women around the world. The campaign uses innovative approaches to promote gender equality. Co-founded by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter and Salma Hayek Pinault, CHIME FOR CHANGE works with a coalition of partner organizations, including the Kering Foundation, Facebook, and Hearst Magazines.

Dec. 19, 2016

When I was a little girl in my native Belgium, I was put to work as a sex slave. Read More

Aug. 2, 2017

Her interviewer admits he “never asked a male political leader in 20 years” about their family plans Read More

July 28, 2017

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Global Citizen
Global Citizen
FREE - In Google Play
VIEW

Learn more

AUG. 3, 2017

New York City Is Building 'Lactation Pods' for Breastfeeding Moms

They made their debut during World Breastfeeding Week.

By Colleen Curry

•  
  •  
  •  

It's a very happy World Breastfeeding Week for moms in New York City.

The city debuted its first "lactation pods" — or mobile rooms for nursing — in five locations throughout the city, with about 25 more to be constructed in the coming year, according to NY1 .

The rooms, which are about four feet by eight feet and come with benches, a table, electric outlets for pumps, and a locking door, will help fulfill a law passed last year mandating some city offices to provide private nursing areas for moms, according to the report. 

There will be 30 pods built around the city in total, at a cost of about $20,000 each, according toDNA Info .

One already exists in a place with high demand: the Brooklyn Children's Museum. 

"When I went inside, it's very comfortable, it's very soothing, there's air on,"  Jane Xia told NY1.  "It's a great little space."

The city's health commissioner, Dr. Mary Bassett, said the city wanted to encourage breastfeeding, especially in communities with low rates. 

"Part of making mothers comfortable is giving them more opportunities to have safe space to breastfeed," Bassett said. "Part of it is letting people know that they are entitled to breastfeed."

Other locations for the "pods" will include the hospitals in Queens and Harlem, the Bronx Zoo, and the Staten Island Children's Museum, according to the report.

The rooms are built by a company called Mamava which specializes in lactation suites and has already built many at airports, on university campuses, and even in shopping malls around the country. 

The pods aren't mandatory — by New York City law, women have the right to breastfeed in public wherever and whenever they choose. But the pods do provide privacy and comfort for those who want it, the commissioner said.

Colleen Curry is a senior editor at Global Citizen. She has covered domestic and international news for outlets including ABC News, VICE News, and The New York Times, with a particular focus on women's issues, criminal justice, and LGBT rights. She is also pursuing her Master's in Creative Writing, and has had nonfiction published by Sports Illustrated and Marie Claire.

•  
  •  
  •  
chime-logo_container.jpg
About Our Partner

Dec. 19, 2016

Aug. 2, 2017

July 28, 2017

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Global Citizen
Global Citizen
FREE - In Google Play
VIEW

Skip to content
The Maasai brand is valuable — and it should belong to the Maasai people
CULTURE

The Maasai brand is valuable — and it should belong to the Maasai people

July 27 2017 | By: GUEST BLOGGER

By Meg Brindle, Light Years IP

I was at a conference in Kenya when I first met a member of the Maasai, a group of people who live in East Africa. He had a question for me – and the answers could have the potential to dramatically impact poverty for millions of low-income farmers, producers and others.

You’d recognize the Maasai from photos. Many are tall, elegant and very distinctively dressed. Often, when a generic image is used of Africans in photos or advertising, it’s of Maasai. Their designs and style get used by others – but the Maasai don’t earn a penny.

That’s not right. It’s cultural appropriation – but it’s also bad business. Increasingly, the things that make products valuable aren’t the ingredients that go into them – it’s the intangible things, including the brands. And companies are careful to look out for their brands, spending millions to protect and defend them.

Think about Coca-Cola or Apple. Their products are more than sugar, fruit juice, and water, or metal and plastic, chips and screen. Their brand value is much greater than the value of the physical resources. That’s because of the ideas, imagination, and presentation that come together in great products: what business calls “intellectual property (IP).”

So what does this mean for a semi-nomadic tribe of nearly 2 million across Tanzania and Kenya?

We’d been working with Ethiopian Fine Coffee to help them own their own brands and license them. We’d helped return $101 million to coffee exporters.

That’s when I met the Maasai elder. He tapped me on the shoulder and said: “ We understand that IP works for coffee.  The Maasai have a brand that is used by many western companies without our permission.  Can you help us?”

Maasai_FB-1024x512.jpg

A group of Maasai people. (Photo credit: joxeankoret/Wikimedia Commons)

We engaged Maasai University students in researching the dozens of companies using the Maasai name, image and brand without their permission.  Our friends at Comic Relief were kind enough to help fund the feasibility study. Brand expert David Cardwell who did the Star Wars licensing deal helped. Our goal was to let the Maasai run the process with some good advice from others. To them, respect and removal of culturally inappropriate images are as important as income.

For six years, we have been about helping the Maasai to organize and form MIPI -The Maasai IP Initiative.  With outreach across Kenya and Tanzania and radio broadcasts, materials translated to Maa and Swahili, Light Years IP and the Maasai have reached 500,000 Maasai — a critical mass to own, control, license and where relevant, to create solutions with large companies that had used their brand name. One big car company, for example, returned the Maasai trademark and negotiations are underway with Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy.

In 2012, a Louis Vuitton fashion show featured Maasai scarves and shirts modeled and sold for upwards of 1,000 euros each. Of course, the LVMH brand is valued highly and IP and brand experts can help us to quantify what portion is due to cultural appropriation of the Maasai iconic values of bravery, strength, and warrior images.

The Maasai are a proud people — respectful and honorable.  The Maasai leadership has been offended at the cultural misappropriation of their brand and name. They understand that it is valuable – and it’s theirs. Our analysis shows it is worth about $250 million.

Maasai elder, Isaac ole Tialalo, leader of MIPI has been to Capitol Hill and to Parliament in London with The African IP Trust, headed by Lord Paul Boating. It’s an honor for our support and advocacy group to help the Maasai achieve win-win situations with companies.

We think that the Maasai are an inspiration and model to other indigenous people who are about 6% of the world’s population and suffer both cultural appropriation and poverty.  The Cherokee, Navajo, and Tourag, for example, add value to countless products and companies. It is not easy to regain control after cultural appropriation, but we think it is the right thing to do.

If you would like to know more about this, go to lightyearsip.net/the-maasai/.

Join the fight against extreme poverty

Name
Email
Post/zip code
Country         United States Canada Afghanistan Åland Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina FasoBurundi Cambodia Cameroon Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos Islands Colombia Comoros Cook Islands Costa Rica Côte d'Ivoire Country of Sint Maarten Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of the Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Korea Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Republic of the Congo Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino São Tomé and Príncipe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu U.S. Virgin Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Wallis and Futuna Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe       

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER

AUTHOR

GUEST BLOGGER
July 27 2017

TOPICS