tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

Meet Sherilius, one of our favorite three-year-olds in Ghana. His mother is HIV+ but he was born HIV free. (RED) money helps support programs that ensure Sherilius stays HIV free & healthy. Together we can #endAIDS. 1f4f7.png?: @jonx

La imagen puede contener: 1 persona, sonriendo, exterior

Vroom vroom. (VESPA)RED is coming to India.

We’re proud to partner with Vespa to fight AIDS in some of the world’s hardest hit countries, including India.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/2xVHAZx #iRideRED

22253182_10155941223893714_4500294770295308288_n.jpg?oh=43dd61c09b26d58c6da723979288ad07&oe=5A41102E

Pausar

0:00

Configuración visual adicional
Ir a reproducción con opción de desplazamientoHaz clic para ampliar

Reactivar

Skip to content

GIRLS AND WOMEN

Serafina’s family encouraged her to stay in school. Now she wants other girls to have that chance.

February 14 2017 | By: MEGAN IACOBINI DE FAZIO

This is part three of a three-part series on Sud Academy in Nairobi, Kenya. Don’t miss part one and part two.

Having lived through violence, discrimination, and subsequent displacement in South Sudan, it is difficult to understand why Serafina might want to go back.

At 20 years old, she should be in her first years of university, but has instead just completed her primary school exams.

“As soon as I get my exam results, I will go to high school and then university”, says Serafina, with a bright smile that rarely leaves her face. Like many of the students at Sud Academy in Nairobi, Kenya, circumstances beyond her control resulted in her falling years behind in her studies.

“Since starting school again last year I’ve tried my best to catch up and I’ve been studying very hard,” she says. “It’s not easy but I’m trying”.

DU6B1890-1024x683.jpg

A classroom at Sud Academy in Nairobi.

Serafina was born in Khartoum, Sudan, where her family had moved to escape violence. She grew up there, the youngest in a family of nine, until the war forced the family to move again and settle in the world’s youngest nation, South Sudan.

“I grew up speaking my mother tongue at home and Arabic (the official language of North Sudan) at school, so I didn’t know English at all,” Serafina says. Not knowing English in a country where it’s the official language was a big obstacle to her education.

But unlike the families of some other girls she knew in South Sudan, Serafina’s family actively encouraged her to keep studying.

Serafina-1-1024x697.jpg

Serafina outside Sud Academy.

“Some girls in South Sudan get married very young. They must grow up very fast because they have no education. They depend on their families and then their husbands, but if something happens they have nothing,” she explains.

“This is why my father wanted me to be educated, and why he always pushed me to continue learning” she says, adding that her family is very proud of what she’s achieved.

So, in an effort to learn English, Serafina travelled to Nairobi to live with one of her sisters. But when Serafina’s father lost his job in Sudan, he was unable to continue paying for her education.

“I stayed at home, not studying, for three years,” she says. “I felt very bad, because all I wanted to do was go to school.”

She tried to make the best of her time, learning English and Swahili by talking to people at church. “But sometimes I felt like giving up,” she recalls. “I would phone my father and ask to go home, but he told me to be patient, and that one day I would go back to school.”

Mr-Omondi-Sud-Academy--1024x768.jpg

Her life turned around when some friends told her about Sud Academy, a school not far from where she lived. It had opened specifically to cater to the growing South Sudanese community, and provided education at a fraction of the cost of other schools.

“I started immediately, and I was so happy to be back at school,” Serafina says.

But getting the formal education she always wanted is not the only benefit of attending Sud Academy: “It’s nice be with other South Sudanese from many different parts of the country. We often discuss what we want to do after school, what we can do to build our country. Many of us want to go back,” she says.

Elizabeth-and-Serafina-in-class-1024x768

Serafina and her friend Elizabeth in class at Sud Academy.

Despite some of the challenges the school faces – lack of funding has resulted in overcrowded classrooms and inadequate facilities – Serafina is grateful to Sud Academy for giving her the opportunity to gain an education, but also for educating South Sudanese students, who she believes will one day help rebuild the country.

“I don’t want to just learn for myself, but to help others, too. There are not enough teachers in South Sudan, and many children can’t go to school. So, I want to be a teacher and give them a chance.”

Every girl counts.

130 million girls don’t have access to an education. So we’re asking the world to count them, one by one.

JOIN THE COUNT

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER

Join the Conversation

Comment Guidelines

Skip to content
Meet the man who’s helped save 83,500 children from slavery
AID AND DEVELOPMENT

Meet the man who’s helped save 83,500 children from slavery

12 June 2017 5:45PM UTC | By: ROBYN DETORO

“There is no greater violence than to deny the dreams of our children.”

This is the warning Kailash Satyarthi had for the world when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize alongside Malala Yousafzai in 2014 for his “struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education.”

Kailash was only 26 years old when he left his job as a teacher to found Bachpan Bachao Andolan, a grassroots organisation that advocates for children’s rights. Since then, the movement has rescued more than 83,500 individuals from trafficking, slavery, and child labour all while leading the fight for child protectionist laws across India.

More than three decades later, he’s continued to champion the importance of education in building sustainable societies with promising futures, arguing that communities that provide children with safety, education, and good health are more likely to prosper.

Speaking to ONE on a recent visit, Kailash led an inspiring discussion as he spoke passionately about children’s rights and reminded us of the importance of fighting for education.

So, what are we waiting for?

Join us and take action today to show world leaders that all #GirlsCount!

All girls count.

130 million girls don’t have access to an education. So we’re asking the world to count them, one by one.

JOIN THE COUNT

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER

AUTHOR

ROBYN DETORO
12 June 2017 5:45PM UTC

Join the Conversation

Comment Guidelines

Skip to content
If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?
YOUTH AMBASSADORS

If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?

10 August 2017 1:18PM UTC | By: INE TOLLENAERS

Today is International Youth Day, which this year celebrates young people’s contributions to inclusion, social justice and sustainable peace. At ONE, we’re lucky to have some inspiring young campaigners in our movement and today’s the perfect day to put their voices in the spotlight.

So, to celebrate International Youth Day, we asked our Youth Ambassadors in Europe, our Champions in Nigeria and Campus Leaders from the US: ‘If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?’ – watch the videos below to find out their thoughts:

Khalid Ahmad, Youth Ambassador from the UK – “I’d make the world a fairer and peaceful place to live.”

Lina, Youth Ambassador from France – “If I could change one thing in the world it would be gender inequalities in girls’ education.”

Ajay, Campus Leader from the US – “If I could change one thing about the world I would make more people empathetic.”

Federica, Youth Ambassador from Italy – “Give more importance to women’s rights – because we know there is no difference between men and women.”

Bryant, Youth Ambassador from the Netherlands – “I would create more education and training opportunities for vulnerable youth.”

Christian, Champion from Nigeria – “If I could change one thing in the world it would be the process that leads to the refugee crisis.”

Bénédicte, Youth Ambassador from Belgium – “I would make sure that everybody — all the children — have the same opportunities…the opportunity to become who they want to be.”

Lena, Youth Ambassador from Germany – “If I could change one thing thing in the world it would be more empathy.” or “See developing countries not as victims but as equal partners who have great potential.”

Jacki, Campus Leader from the US – “I would make it so that people realise their voice matters.”

Claragh, Youth Ambassador from Ireland – “If I could change one thing about the world I would have full and proper gender equality.”

What would YOU change in the world? Leave a comment below or tweet your answer using the hashtag #ONEyouth17!

Join the fight against extreme poverty

Name
Email
Post/zip code
Country         Select country Afghanistan Åland Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos Islands Colombia Comoros Cook Islands Costa Rica Côte d'Ivoire Country of Sint Maarten Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of the Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Korea Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Republic of the Congo Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino São Tomé and Príncipe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu U.S. Virgin Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Wallis and Futuna Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe       

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER

Join the Conversation

Comment Guidelines

Skip to content
Nigeria’s Chibok girls are the inspiration for a new Marvel hero
CULTURE

Nigeria’s Chibok girls are the inspiration for a new Marvel hero

8 September 2017 9:28AM UTC | By: THOMSON REUTERS FOUNDATION

Move over Captain America and watch out Wonder Woman — here comes Ngozi: a teenage superheroine inspired by Nigeria’s kidnapped Chibok girls who fight evil in Lagos, marking a new chapter in diversity for Marvel Comics.

Ngozi is the star of new title “Blessing in Disguise”, the first Marvel story to be set in a real-life African country – Nigeria’s commercial capital – and feature a Nigerian superhero.

The character stems from the high-profile abduction of about 220 schoolgirls in Chibok in northeast Nigeria in 2014 by the militant group Boko Haram, and the comic’s author hopes the teenage superhero will resonate with girls across the country.

“It was an important decision for me to base Ngozi on one of the Chibok girls,” Nnedi Okorafor, an award-winning Nigeria-American writer, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

The Chibok abduction sparked international outrage and became the most infamous act by the Islamist Boko Haram group which has killed 20,000 people and uprooted at least 2 million in a brutal eight-year campaign that shows no sign of ending.

Two young women who escaped from Boko Haram made an appearance at the United Nations on International Women's Day 2016. (Photo credit: Johnny Wolf/ONE)

Two young women who escaped from Boko Haram made an appearance at the United Nations on International Women’s Day 2016. (Photo credit: Johnny Wolf/ONE)

“They were normal girls who suddenly had to deal with a huge change in their lives … and their story of perseverance is so powerful,” Okorafor added. “Like many Nigerian girls, Ngozi comes in a small package but is strong-willed and determined.”

The short story is part of Marvel’s “Venomverse” comic, published on Wednesday, which sees Ngozi appear alongside well-established Marvel characters from Venom to the Black Panther.

Okorafor said she was buoyed by the global success of the summer box office hit “Wonder Woman” – the first superhero movie to star a woman since 2005 – with the character hailed as a new role model for girls and a break away from sexism in Hollywood.

Yet the U.S.-based science fiction author said that she was desperate to see more diversity in the world of superheroes.

“I’m a huge Wonder Woman fan, but we can really push it further when it comes to diversity,” said Okorafor, who is also an English professor at the University at Buffalo in New York.

“I’m not just talking about race and sexual orientation, but about having a range of personalities with different desires, dreams and flaws,” she added. “I don’t only want to see badass female characters, I want to see much less predictable ones.”

L1090407-copy-1024x731.jpg

Women and children affected by Boko Haram in northeast Nigeria. (Photo credit: ONE)

Several comic book fans have shared their excitement about the character of Ngozi on social media sites such as Twitter.

“A Marvel story. Written by a Nigerian Woman. Set in Lagos. Superhero’s name: NGOZI. What a time to be alive,” Twitter user Beth Lee posted.

This story was originally published at Thomson Reuters Foundation NewsReporting By Kieran Guilbert. Editing by Katy Migiro.

Join the fight against extreme poverty

Name
Email
Post/zip code
Country         Select country Afghanistan Åland Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos Islands Colombia Comoros Cook Islands Costa Rica Côte d'Ivoire Country of Sint Maarten Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of the Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Korea Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Republic of the Congo Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino São Tomé and Príncipe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu U.S. Virgin Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Wallis and Futuna Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe       

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER
thomson-reuters-foundation

AUTHOR

THOMSON REUTERS FOUNDATION
8 September 2017 9:28AM UTC