tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

🕺 Andrew the Dancer is in the Top Tunes hot seat this week on Mencap TV as he tells us about his love for Cher and Little Mix! What music do you love listening to? 🎶

You can also listen to Andrew's music choices in our Top Tunes playlist on Spotify - https://spoti.fi/2XlnjIt

#PartyWithMencap

In case you missed it, catch this lovely video of Symphonic Waves performing With or Without You by U2, arranged by Glen Austin, and conducted by James Cavanagh at the 25th Festival of Youth Orchestras in February at the National Concert Hall, Dublin, Ireland.
Symphonic Waves is funded by Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture and managed by Music Generation Galway County. The Festival is funded by the Arts Council Ireland.

Foto de Music Generation.

Job opportunity: Administrator, Music Generation Kilkenny

Kilkenny and Carlow Education and Training Board, as Lead Partner for Kilkenny Local Music Education Partnership, wishes to employ an Administrator to assist the Music Generation Development Officer with the organisation, promotion and day-to-day running and delivery of Music Generation Kilkenny performance music education programmes.

The closing date for receipt of applications is: Wednesday, 10 June 2020 (12 noon).

Details and link to apply found here: https://www.musicgeneration.ie/news/article/job-opportunity-administrator-music-generation-kilkenny/

Pic-1-WeTransfer-96k340ydysqq47xagjaltty

NEWS: 29 May 2020

VOLUNTEER STORY : THE O’BRIEN FAMILY

29 May 2020

CCI have many families volunteering throughout the country. The O’Briens from Dublin are  one of these families.

The family first got involved through Emily who as a teenager was introduced to CCI. She explains that it was ‘something I was privileged to be part of and something I wanted my family to be able to contribute to’. Emily is now a front-line worker, employed as a clinical neuro physiologist, and has witnessed the horror of Covid unfold in her hospital. Emily encouraged the family to get involved and Alice (mum) initially got involved with the Dublin Branch when she agreed to be treasurer. “I was completely struck by the warmth and love shown to the children of Vesnova by the volunteers on the committee and their total commitment to improving their lives. I couldn’t but get more involved”.

Enthusiasm is contagious and by the summer of 2016 the whole family had joined the volunteers working with the teens and young adults from Vesnova during their stay in Dublin. Every year since, the four of them have joined in the activities and try help create special memories for the teens and young adults. Peter takes annual leave from work to volunteer as a driver for the group during their summer Rest and Recuperation visits to Ireland which sadly have been postponed this year due to Covid restrictions.

A warm and tender moment caused by the confusion of the Russian word for ‘dog’ with the Russian word for ‘hippopotamus’ resulted in the family hosting Nina for Christmas 2016.

Pic-2-WeTransfer.png

Lindsey became a buddy to Nina and included her in everything in her life, including bringing her to school for a morning. ‘When Nina came to stay with us, I was able to bring her to school for a morning, something that many Irish kids dread. But not Nina. She hadn’t experienced such an environment. It was so heart-warming to see her so fascinated by everything in the school, from the maps on the walls to all the people. For me, it was a time for Nina to be free and like any teenager. From going shopping to getting food and ice cream. It was the least she deserved’.

Pic-7-We-Transfer.png

The following year the family hosted Olga while she was recovering from surgery.

Alice then volunteered to travel with the CCI care teams. Alice has now travelled with three different teams and explains that each experience has been different with amazing memories. ‘One of the strongest memories of my first visit (May 2017) was of Unit 5 – the high dependency unit. The smiles of the young Alina in room 1 and her cry to be picked up – it always worked, and the beaming grins from Alina in room 3 when you go in with breakfast.

Pic-3-We-Transfer-1024x1024.png

The strongest memory from my most recent trip was of kindness from the Belarussians involved in Vesnova. We had a wonderful day in the grounds brought about by one of the carers and her husband. He so kindly made beautiful wooden games for the children to enjoy in the grounds. It reminded me of a school sports day when I was a kid. This was brought about by kindness and volunteering of those two wonderful people.

Pic-4-WeTransfer.png

Alice recalls  a funny memory – ‘last August not long after arriving, Gresha came running and grabbed me in his arms lifting me off the ground in delight (you always get a wonderful welcome) and on putting me down he said “to Peter”. The hug was to be brought home to Peter!’. As well as being a regular driver and helper with the summer rest and recuperation visitors, Peter has travelled to Vesnova in January 2019 and 2020. Peter recalls ‘My first trip to Belarus was in the depths of winter in January 2019. I was so apprehensive about that first week and what lay ahead, what sights would I see, what sounds would I hear, how would I communicate with the children, would I be of any use on the ground at all. With all this playing on my mind, not only on the long journey over but also in the previous weeks and months beforehand, I stepped off the plane into a bitterly cold and snow covered Belarus still wondering if I was doing the right thing. In the event my doubts and fears evaporated within the first few minutes of meeting the children in the high dependency units, the ones who are sadly too sick to travel and can never come to Ireland for rest and recuperation. They are the most wonderful and heartwarming children I have ever met. The week I spent with them there in their home is one I will never forget. How glad I am that I made the trip over to see them. There is nothing like the feeling that in some small way you have made just a little bit of a difference to someones day. Even just talking to the children whilst you are feeding them, even if it is all in English and they haven’t a clue what you are talking about, its so heartwarming to get a reaction, to get eye contact, to get a smile. If there is one thing I can say I brought back to Ireland with me from Belarus, besides the wonderful memories, it is how each and everyone of them, with all their different challenges in life have made me appreciate my health and my wellbeing so much more and most certainly put everything in my life into a totally different perspective.’

Pic-We-Transfer-8.png

Alice clearly feels that the 2018 visit stood out as particularly memorable and emotional for her. She says, ‘Nothing can ever replace the magical time in 2018. I work in education and see the importance of education. I was so fortunate to be in Vesnova in the week that six of the young adults went forward for the first stage of tests in the “Restoration of Rights” initiative which CCI are driving. I witnessed the raw emotion the night before as Helen and Yuilia supported them and worked through their fears. The sheer joy when they all returned successful and the tears in everyone’s eyes as Yuilia danced with Sasha Blank to Rick Ashley’s “never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down”. Secondly, I had the joy of bringing the Life Skills Unit shopping and being treated to a wonderful meal they cooked for our Irish team – such an important step in their development”. The children in Vesnova did not receive any formal education. The pioneering programs on the ‘Restoration of Rights’ and the ‘Life Skills Unit’ funded so generously by Irish donations are making inroads into providing a better life for such vulnerable young people.”

Pic-5-WeTransfer.png

Both Alice and Peter work at TU Dublin, City Campus. While neither have been health care front line workers during the Covid-19 crisis, both have worked through the crisis supporting education. Peter as an IT technician plays an important role in keeping systems running and Alice as a lecturer has worked throughout the shutdown trying to support, as well as educate and assess her students remotely. Alice says, “One of the things that has stuck me is the feeling of isolation felt by young people during the Covid crisis. I hear it in conversations with my Irish students. Reading the words of Sasha on his Facebook posts, one could hear the same struggles. As I read his post of missing the classroom and the activities, I could hear the words ringing in my ears from a phone conversation I had with one of my Irish students. The missing of structure, of normality, of friendship. But the similarities stop at isolation. I think of Roma, he lies immobile and unable to communicate effectively in unit 5, he was born in the same year as Emily. I think of Marina (and her big smiley face) also from Unit 5 and find it hard to believe that she was born less than six months after my Lindsey who is now in 1st year at university. Born in the same years just in a different, contaminated part of the world”.

Pic-6-We-Transfer.png

Alice is listed as a care team volunteer for August 2020 which is so sadly on hold due to Covid. ‘As I looked through my vast library of photos to pick some out for this article I became deeply emotional. I looked at the happiness on the faces of the children and young adults. Simple things that may not mean much to Irish kids can give them so much joy. It is so upsetting that we can’t visit the orphanage or provide the respite by bringing them here. Yesterday, I looked at a photo of Yana, sitting supported by Fergus on the Marley train, and then saw one of her sitting in her chair in the corner of the room in Vesnova. The contrast was stark. They have so little and it is so sad that we can’t be involved for now’.

All of us at CCI are hopeful that restrictions will be lifted soon and that some normality will be restored once we have progressed through the recommended phases. For now, we are reminiscing on the good times and sending our love to our friends in Belarus.

Foto de Chernobyl Children International.

What better way to celebrate your wedding and give back than with some chocolate!!! Our caramel chocolate heart wedding favours are simple, delicious and perfect for putting the finishing touch to your special day. We do not ask for a specific price but rely on your generosity to help thousands of children have lifesaving cardiac surgery through our Cardiac‘Flying Doctors’ programme. All donations received for wedding favours fund our Cardiac programme that has saved and continues to save the lives of thousands of children in the Chernobyl affected regions.
Pictured below are Nika (9m), Evgenij (2y), Sofiya (8m), Dima (9y), Polina (7y), Liza (4d), Anton (2y), Felix (1m) and Mirsaid (4y). Each of these children benefitted from lifesaving cardiac surgery just last month. These children and their families have been given a new lease of life thanks to donations from our chocolate hearts.

If you’d like to find out more about supporting CCI on your wedding day send us a message.

Foto de Chernobyl Kilkenny Outreach Group.

Wow! What a gesture 🎉🇧🇾 Eileen Morrissey’s 3 nephews sent this note for Vasili 😍 Such a beautiful thing to do boys. Thank you so much & well done 💕

In the Chernobyl affected regions contamination of the land remains the biggest health threat. Thirty years on caesium-137 is the principal source of radiation in the zone around the Chernobyl nuclear power plant also known as ‘Death Valley’ or the ‘Exclusion Zone’. Caesium 137 is one of the radioactive isotopes that was distributed by the reactor explosion and it causes the greatest risk to the health of the people in the Chernobyl affected regions. It finds its way via the food chain into the human body.

There is no safe dose of caesium 137 and according to Professor Yuri Bandashevsky “Any dose is an over dose of caesium 137- there should be no question about acceptable levels in the body.” But even now in 2020 levels in milk cattle meat and non-wood forest products continue to exceed the permissible content of caesium-137. The Chernobyl disaster will leave measurable radioactive contamination in a 15,000 square mile area for 300 years.

The below graph illustrates the chain reaction of radioactive particles in the environment. It demonstrates how food and land contamination can have far reaching affects it can have on the human population of contaminated areas.

Our multi-disciplinary volunteer teams make a powerful impact during each visit to Vesnova offering expertise and guidance as well as loving care and affection.

These medical teams are also key in developing our ever-growing De-Institutionalisation Programmes, which give the children and young adults the hope of a future free from incarceration and segregation.

We would like to thank everyone who has volunteered with Chernobyl Children International down through the years for their valuable contribution and their life-altering endeavours. We hope to be back volunteering in Belarus in the near future.

97989200_10157366184813295_8757952703302205440_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQkBJKZPYoYEOr_vSJzZvLJTy9-UhJ8EQR_gioYnFPewEMp9IGhbmHyxb9HP7rAoXUo&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=4d05e41597589b95e2b633bbad1625c2&oe=5EF7A5DC

REWARDSHEALTH

8 Once-in-a-Lifetime Rewards You Can Earn Right Now By Taking Action to Beat COVID-19

From happy hour with Adam Lambert to coffee with Dionne Warwick.

Why Global Citizens Should Care 
Tackling COVID-19 requires the whole world to unite behind the urgent and critical need to develop and distribute tests, treatments, and vaccines against COVID-19, and ensure these tools are made available to everyone, everywhere. We must also work to lessen the impacts of COVID-19 on the world’s most vulnerable and the root causes of extreme poverty, such as hunger, gender inequality, and more. Join the movement by taking action here to support the Global Goal: Unite for Our Future campaign. 

Global Citizen has always offered rewards to its most dedicated activists: from free gig tickets  to a spot in the crowd at Global Citizen Festivals in New York, Johannesburg, Hamburg, Mumbai, and many more.

But the pandemic has made us rethink the way we do things. While live music is on pause pretty much everywhere, what can we do to bring people together? How can we give Global Citizens the best possible experiences to say thank you for helping drive so much positive impact?

Firma:
Firma: Protege a los más vulnerables del coronavirus

12.724 / 20.000 acciones realizadas
TOMA ACCIÓN
Más información

We saw throughout our One World: Together At Home campaign and broadcast special that digital festivals can sometimes be just as compelling, entertaining, and impactful as our annual pilgrimages to Central Park. So we’re taking everything we learned, and we’re putting it into our rewards programme too.

Some of the biggest names in music and entertainment are coming on that journey with us — all in support of our new campaign, launched this week alongside the European Commission: Global Goal: Unite for Our Future. 

Related StoriesMay 28, 2020'Global Goal: Unite for Our Future': We're Calling on the World to Make Sure Everyone Can Beat COVID-19

It’s an urgent call to action to ensure COVID-19 solutions are available for everyone, everywhere. That means actions like sending tweets to world leaders urging them to invest in testing, treatments, and vaccines; signing petitions for the protection of vulnerable communities; or sending emails calling to build better health systems.

And in return, you get the chance to earn your place on some of the most legendary lockdown calls ever. Join our campaign, take action, and be in with a chance to earn some once-in-a-lifetime rewards with some spectacular artists here. From a personal happy hour with Adam Lambert to a coffee date with Dionne Warwick, check out all the incredible experiences on offer below.

Today we are excited to announce the launch of Global Goal: Unite For Our Future, a new campaign calling on leaders to step up commitments to treatment, vaccines, testing, and more, to beat COVID-19 and strengthen global health systems: http://glblctzn.me/UniteToday  #GlobalGoalUnite

Embedded video

1. Adam Lambert

Adam Lambert Rewards Photo.jpg

A cocktail with Adam Lambert is no mere aperitif! The Grammy-nominated singer who has fronted Queen since 2011 offers a splash of the glam; a tasty combination of the jazziest shirts and regally sequined jackets; and the best vocals in the business, on the rocks, of course.

Lambert joined Queen onstage at Global Citizen Festival 2019 in Central Park, New York, and covered Tears for Fears for One World: Together At Home. Now he’s inviting you to a virtual happy hour where you can make cocktails together, maybe play some online games, and ask him anything you like. 

All you have to do is take a selfie to #DefeatDiseaseTogether, sending in your photos here to show your support for every child to get access to life-saving vaccines. Those images will then be shared with governments including France, Sweden, Australia, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, and the European Commission. Let’s show them how loud our voices can be.

I’m very excited to support @glblctzn and their launch of Global Goal: Unite For Our Future, a campaign to protect everyone, everyone in this pandemic and support funding for COVID-19 treatment. https://glblctzn.me/AdamLambert 

2. Femi Kuti

Femi Kuti Rewards Photo.jpg

Just over three years ago, Nigerian afrobeat legend and activist Femi Kuti played a single note on the saxophone for 51 minutes and 35 seconds, several minutes longer than the world record previously held by Vann Burchfield. 

How did he do it? Kuti is a master of circular breathing: a technique ideal for wind instruments where you continuously inhale through your nose as you breathe out through the mouth.

Related StoriesNov. 30, 2018How Nigerian Musician Femi Kuti Is Making an Impact on the Lives of Young Africans

But don’t talk to us about it. Ask Kuti himself during a virtual lesson on circular breathing where he will teach you the basics of the art form. But first, he wants you to send an email to South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa to ask him to raise his voice to help ensure COVID-19 tests, treatments, and vaccines are available for everyone.

I’m excited to support @glblctzn and their launch of Global Goal: Unite For Our Future, a campaign to support funding for COVID-19 treatment.

Embedded video

3. Dionne Warwick

Dionne Warwick Rewards Photo.jpg

The woman who won a Grammy for her hit with One World: Together At Home heroes Elton John and Stevie Wonder — and has another five for good measure by the way, including a lifetime achievement award last year — wants you to join her for a coffee date.

You might know Dionne Warwick from that iconic singalong in My Best Friend’s Wedding  “and all through my coffee break-time, I say a little prayer for you”  or maybe you saw her in a giant mouse costume on The Masked Singer? Perhaps, like us, you’re a fan of her work as a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations on nutrition and health. 

Warwick has lived a thousand lives, sold 85 million records, and wants to know if you would like any caramel in your cappuccino. Don’t forget to ask some questions about her incredible life — but first, you need to write a message to the governments of Austria, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain to commit extra funds for the development and deployment of COVID-19 tests, treatments, and vaccines to the world’s poorest countries.

Related StoriesMay 28, 2020How You Can Take Action Now to Help Ensure COVID-19 Treatments for Everyone

4. Lang Lang

Lang Lang Rewards Photo.jpg

After eight hours and over 100 performances, One World: Together At Home closed with a star-studded crescendo: Lady Gaga, Andrea Boccelli, Celine Dion, and John Legend singing out the show with a cover of The Prayer. But the first thing you hear on the track is the soft tinkle of a distant piano, played by a man so lost in the moment his eyes remain firmly closed.

Lang Lang is no stranger to dazzling through an introduction: he played to billions when he opened the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008. Since then, he’s played for Barack Obama at the White House; been called the “hottest artist on the classical music planet” by the New York Times; and was named on Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World.

But his most important audience is yet to come. You! Lang Lang will dedicate a song to one Global Citizen action-taker with a special video to say thank you. To enter, sign this petition calling on world leaders to protect the most vulnerable communities from COVID-19.

5. Chloe X Halle

Chloe x Halle Rewards Photo.jpg

Any friend of Beyoncé is a friend of ours.

But R&B sisters Chloe and Halle Bailey — known asChloe X Halle to their legions of fans — are absolute stars in their own right too: they were only teenagers when they sang for billions at the Super Bowl last year; their debut album was nominated for two Grammy Awards; and on Thursday they shared a moving cover of protest anthem “We Shall Overcome” in honor of George Floyd, killed on Monday after a Minnesota police officer knelt on his neck.

And you can earn a personal concert with the pair, including a song request of your choice, by calling on the President of Ghana to prioritize strengthening health systems and commit to encouraging other governments to do the same. You know what to do.

6. Rachel Brosnahan

Rachel B Rewards.jpg

You might know Rachel Brosnahan from all those Golden Globes she’s been racking up recently for her lead role in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. 

But we know her best as a passionate advocate for social justice: fighting to get legislation through the US Senate to close the global education gap for girls; using her Emmy’s victory speech to urge people to vote; or joining us in Peru to explore the impact conflicts and natural disasters can have on children’s education, as part of ACTIVATE, the documentary series showing a behind-the-scenes look at the Global Citizen movement.

Despite all this good, trust us when we say she can make a mean margarita. Find out for yourself in a one-on-one virtual cocktail making session with the Hollywood star by sending messages to members of US Congress to support the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) — the foundation that’s funding COVID-19 vaccine development programs around the world with a view to ensure they can be accessed by everyone.

Related StoriesMay 28, 202019 Incredible Artists Supporting the 'Global Goal: Unite for Our Future' Campaign to Beat COVID-19

7. Padma Lakshmi

Padma Rewards Photo.jpg

One of the world’s most famous celebrity chefs, Padma Lakshmi has won an Emmy as the host of US cooking show Top Chef. But just like the rest of us, Lakshmi has been stuck at home during lockdown — and has found joy filming culinary videos at home with her daughter.

And now you can join her, with a virtual cooking lesson with Lakshmi herself for up to five members of your household. Here’s how: send a message to leaders in India and Singapore and urge them to commit additional funding for the creation and equitable delivery of tests, treatments, and vaccines against COVID-19. 

The solutions to the pandemic must reach everyone, equally.

Related StoriesMay 28, 202011 Big Questions About Beating COVID-19 You Might Be Too Embarrassed to Ask

8. Fher of Maná

Fher.jpgManá

Sure, you could hold a stereo outside someone’s window. But if you really want to impress, why not get the most successful Latin American band of all time to serenade somebody for you?

Enter Fher Olvera — the frontman of Mexican rock band Maná — who has offered a song to one lucky Global Citizen who sends a message to Latin American leaders to come together to build more resilient systems for marginalized communities in the face of the pandemic.

Let’s do this.

Me uní a @glblctzn y quiero tu ayuda para pedirle a los líderes en Latinoamérica que ayuden a combatir el COVID-19 para todos, en todas partes. Toma acción junto a nosotros y ¡participa por la posibilidad de ganar una serenata conmigo! https://glblctzn.me/FherOlvera  #GlobalGoalUnite

Embedded video