Is it allowed/weird/dumb to have a GoPro in the RED Zone?

• Subscriber

I'm not even sure I would do this if allowed - but was just curious - has anyone ever used a GoPro as close as the red zone? 

I see tons of videos from people at large concerts - but usually far back from the stage.  Was just wondering if anyone had ever tried to get video like this close up?

Would be cool to be able to get video of the concert without standing there holding a camera - even though you'd look a bit weird with a camera on your head.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

The show I was at in the RZ last the guy standing in front of me to my left filmed the whole show... On his phone. I don't think he saw any of the show with his own eyes and the people behind him were annoyed. I found the constant light reflecting from his phone to be very distracting. A lovely (really) serious security guard was right in front of us and didn't say anything. I think a go pro would be way less annoying. But, they always release a DVD. I say enjoy the moment you paid $350 for, snap two or three good pics on your phone and buy the DVD. :)

• Subscriber

I was in redzone in London last tour. I barely used my phone for photos really. It's such a great experience you shouldn't waste it by filming. It will come out on DVD and there's always tons of footage on YouTube of every gig.

• Subscriber

I've never seen it. I'm not sure I would recommend it to be honest. As. RED zone person myself, I wouldn't want to be the person behind or near the one fan filming the entire thing. Take a couple pictures, maybe a small video clip, then put your camera away & enjoy the experience.

• Subscriber

I've never seen it. I'm not sure I would recommend it to be honest. As. RED zone person myself, I wouldn't want to be the person behind or near the one fan filming the entire thing. Take a couple pictures, maybe a small video clip, then put your camera away & enjoy the experience.

I would not tolerate the light from a phone for a long span of time.  I'd ask them to stop.  If they did not then I'd get an usher to do it.  Those things are so annoying if they have the reflective light.  I can't stop it but it's irritating when multitudes hold up their phones when the show opens.  It used to be house to half...house to whole.  Now it's house to half...house to whole...then phones bring it back up to half.  Why?  As Shannon387 and other say, it's not going to matter in the long run. You'll be missing out on something incredibly unique and amazing.  There is no band quite like U2 live. I rediscover it every time I see them.

• Subscriber

GoPro is small enough not to cause issues with security. Small cameras are okay with U2 (from my experience) and usually other bands. U2 are also okay with folks filming their shows, so GoPro in and of itself is not an issue.

However... as others have mentioned, be in the moment! The video will record the sound. It will record light. But it won't record feelings. There are plenty of other people filming the show, so you don't have to do it! Is the time spent caring about the camera, battery, positioning worth the time lost enjoying the show? Is it worth for a crappy sounding, very shaky video?

I admin, in my I+E shows I took a about two dozen pics with my phone and that was enough. Most of them were pics taking during intermission or before/after the show. There are quite enough official pictures/videos and/or pictures/videos from other people to satisfy my need.