Joshua Tree Bono 2017 versus Joshua Tree Bono 1987

bmillis

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry...I know I'm going to get flamed for this...   Bono can't sing anymore.  His range is gone....especially his lower register.   I'm not trying to be mean spirited but I can't fathom shelling out money to see the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 when I know I'd be getting Bono 2017 versus Bono 1987.  I know, I know....people get old and their voice changes.  However, I'm at the point where I find his voice annoying and I cringe when I hear him sing from their older catalog...i.e. Joshua Tree.  And I'm not cringing because I don't like him...it's more of a feeling of pity.  I know that many think his voice is great...so if you feel that way I hope you got tickets and enjoy the show.  Me...I'm bowing out.  I've seen them over a dozen times and it's time to call it quits.  

Anyone else feel the same way?   Again, not trying to start a war...just my opinion.

I would say that have sang the old songs better then in a long time. WOWY, Streets, Gloria, Pride was better in years.

Just listen to Streets from 2015(6:09 in the video), he havent sound like this since late 80s/early 90s.

https://youtu.be/_rSo5tXvtBs?t=6m9s

Gloria

Higher on Even Better The The Real Thing is alot better this tour 3.32 in this video

Powerful Electric Cooooooooooooooo  5.08 in this video

The whole song of the first performence of  WLCTT this tour.

Iris, he have hit the note night after night... 3.24 in this video

Every Breaking Wave

California

I can recommend to listen to the soundboard version on ISHFWILF from iHEART.

We should aslo be in mind that Bono was in pain durning the IE tour because of the accident in 2014 with he bike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I'm just gonna leave this here..... I listened to a part of the "new" mix of Red Hill Mining Town with the over-produced present day Bono-vocals, lifeless, no passion in it, no fire....just doing it because it has to be done....plus the fact the 1987 Bono can never ever ever be compared to the NOW Bono with big KUDOS to the old-day Bono, ofc and the old U2, yeeep....... and what seems to be a very bad, lazy, cheap drum-machine-like drumming sequence........I cringed .... Just leave it alone, U2, leave it out..........Get Hungry....Get working on SOE and *POP* out those BIG drums !!!!!

Edited by pain_18_

• Subscriber

I listened to a part of the "new" mix of Red Hill Mining Town with the over-produced present day Bono-vocals, lifeless, no passion in it, no fire....just doing it because it has to be done....plus the fact the 1987 Bono can never ever ever be compared to the NOW Bono with big KUDOS to the old-day Bono, ofc and the old U2, yeeep....... and what seems to be a very bad, lazy, cheap drum-machine-like drumming sequence........I cringed .... Just leave it alone, U2, leave it out..........Get Hungry....Get working on SOE and *POP* out those BIG drums !!!!!

It sounds like it would be a great live version, but a recorded 2017 re-working is the dictionary definition of unnecessary.

• Subscriber

Sorry...I know I'm going to get flamed for this...   Bono can't sing anymore.  His range is gone....especially his lower register.   I'm not trying to be mean spirited but I can't fathom shelling out money to see the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 when I know I'd be getting Bono 2017 versus Bono 1987.  I know, I know....people get old and their voice changes.  However, I'm at the point where I find his voice annoying and I cringe when I hear him sing from their older catalog...i.e. Joshua Tree.  And I'm not cringing because I don't like him...it's more of a feeling of pity.  I know that many think his voice is great...so if you feel that way I hope you got tickets and enjoy the show.  Me...I'm bowing out.  I've seen them over a dozen times and it's time to call it quits.  

Anyone else feel the same way?   Again, not trying to start a war...just my opinion.

Look, I get your point - and true, he ain't a kid anymore. There's not too much debate to be had here though. We love our 'pop stars'.

Personally, I ain't going to the JT tour to see Bono, I'm going to see U2. That's what I hooked up to in the early 80's, and nothing has changed there. 4 guys, a great sound - what's not to like.

• Subscriber

Hmmm...

for me U2 in the end is all about Bono cos he is The Singer

of course I deeply love the band but when Bono is wtf?! changing to a cabaret singer with a sweaty gold string in a bourgeois jacket and a blond haircut

I have to say bye-bye

I am NOT buying bono this shape cos of the U2 history and they are playing the Joshua Tree!! He was the blackhaired wonder wonderful and the talent the rage and the voice

no more! we sing no more! I mean all that beauty and the truth.

Show business might be cruel and the music is everything so I do not find a bono anymore in this band it was interesting and then it collapses like everything must

I find the other guys all right and that is kind of sad but yes, it is all about him the voice is there forever and shall love it until the end

Every Breaking Wave

it does not mean a must to see him and/or U2 anymore

after some serious thought I feel there is no going back to TJT for me 

... and then I watched this again 

and not sure bout the previous thoughts at all

his face 1:44 whoops look who is the singing cat on cream

and the band the band

Edited by jaanakulo