Who were you in 1987?

• Subscriber

I just watched a video of Red Hill Mining Town. I started thinking about and remembering who I was in 1987...

Who were you in 1987? How different are you now?
Back then, who did you think you would become thirty years later? Did you become that person?
If you could go back to 1987, what advice would you give to your younger self?

(All this is assuming you were alive in 1987  ;) )

• Brilliant 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 1987 my life literally and physically stopped.  My father was in a catastrophic car accident that rendered him a quadriplegic on a ventilator for 9 years.  I became the caretaker of him as well as

I just watched a video of Red Hill Mining Town. I started thinking about and remembering who I was in 1987...   Who were you in 1987? How different are you now? Back then, who did you think you woul

Behind that smiling face in my profile picture, I was also a mess. I turned 19 that year and had just finished my first year of college.   My high school sweetheart (who I was engaged to) broke up w

• Subscriber

In 1987, I was just turning 3 :lol:  

I didn't know who U2 were at that age so I'm very glad that they're doing this JT anniversary tour.

As for advice, I'd tell myself to try and avoid the football accident where I got kicked in the head aged about 9. That led to me developing epilepsy which really messed up my later childhood and teen years.

• Subscriber

A Mess....

Behind that smiling face in my profile picture, I was also a mess. I turned 19 that year and had just finished my first year of college.

My high school sweetheart (who I was engaged to) broke up with me after 4 years together because he got another girl pregnant. I was having panic attacks every day and night, not sleeping, and felt so very lost. The one thing that could soothe my mind: -- listening to The Joshua Tree on my Walkman.

I many ways, I am still the same person. In other ways I am very different. I wanted to be an artist (as in drawing and painting). I became a Medical Technologist (clinical laboratory scientist) and now I'm a technical writer for software companies. I wanted to be a mother but never had any children. I thought I would stay in my small town in the midwest forever, but I left. I lived in Boston for 14 years and now I've been in Dallas for 5 years.

At 19, I felt so much pressure to prove myself -- to figure out a plan for the future. I wish I could tell the girl in the picture to slow down and stop trying to be so perfect.

...and listening to The Joshua Tree (on my iPhone) still soothes my mind.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

A Mess....

Behind that smiling face in my profile picture, I was also a mess. I turned 19 that year and had just finished my first year of college.

My high school sweetheart (who I was engaged to) broke up with me after 4 years together because he got another girl pregnant. I was having panic attacks every day and night, not sleeping, and felt so very lost. The one thing that could soothe my mind: -- listening to The Joshua Tree on my Walkman.

I many ways, I am still the same person. In other ways I am very different. I wanted to be an artist (as in drawing and painting). I became a Medical Technologist (clinical laboratory scientist) and now I'm a technical writer for software companies. I wanted to be a mother but never had any children. I thought I would stay in my small town in the midwest forever, but I left. I lived in Boston for 14 years and now I've been in Dallas for 5 years.

At 19, I felt so much pressure to prove myself -- to figure out a plan for the future. I wish I could tell the girl in the picture to slow down and stop trying to be so perfect.

...and listening to The Joshua Tree (on my iPhone) still soothes my mind.

Wow.....that's so messed up.......I'm feeling every word of your story, truly ........

Edited by pain_18_
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber

19 - all sorted, thought the world was great! AT THAT TIME, it was better than great....it was awesome!

Look, if you were old enough to be at the 87 gigs and your life hasn't moved on - there just might be reasons for that within or without control.

And if your life has moved on? - You just never know where it will crash on you.

Take nothing for granted folks...though our natural tendencies are to do so. Enjoy the music. Someday it won't be there.

Edited by yardie