Sign in to follow this  
theladyA

Let's talk about the set list/ Set List [merged]

As much as I love post-Joshua songs and albums (and I truly do) I don't think they should play anything post-Joshua Tree!

with you 100%

Here's how I imagine the setlist to play out.

**Stay (Faraway So Close)     **---acoustic version on "B" Stage

**Stuck In A Moment

**Sometimes You Can't Make It

**Every Breaking Wave

We could also hear When Love Comes to Town (acoustic). There's a fantastic version from Dublin 8/28/93.

That would be an epic set list! I like the idea of City being fist and the second half being strictly JT! Who knows what they have planned though. They are always full of surprises.I seriously wouldn't doubt a Trump persona though after their performance of Bullet. Bono Fired Trump!

Kristinlynnx, I was thinking an alter ego of Trump, a persona like he created MacPhisto and modeled the character after Ronald Reagan for ZooTV.  MacPhisto was a parody of the devil.  Those songs, Even Better Than the Real Thing, God Part II, and Desire come from a voice of someone morally questionable.  Thus, my hunch on that.  Also, he preformed at iHeart Desire and used Trump soundbites to express greed.  Just a thought....start with pointing out the complacency of popular culture, political climate, into JT which questioned the humanity of that at the time and resonates today, into the end or revolt/rebellion/strength of the masses into we are One.  40 was on my original guess as the last song a definite maybe.

I'd love to see MacPhisto make an appearance!

Here's what I think the show should look something like...

First, they should take the stage to Luminous Times, (Hold on to Love).  It's rare enough to sound like something cool and new to the casual fans, while the diehards will love hearing one of their greatest b-sides.  And it fits since it's a Joshua Tree era b-side, and the lyrics "Hold on to love" fit in well with the theme of holding onto the love of this amazing album.

Then you start with older hits...  (Sort of)

1.  I Will Follow.  We're looking at their past with this tour, so why not go with Album 1, Track 1 to kick off the show?

2.  Cedarwood Road - I'm sure they'll still want to play some newer stuff.  To me, Songs Of Innocence qualifies as being new, of course, but because the album is a look to the past, it sort of fits in with this older hits section too.  And I think these songs will just work better at the start of the show, as opposed to the end, imo.

3.  The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)

4.  Sunday Bloody Sunday

5.  Raised By Wolves

6.  Bad

Then onto The Joshua Tree, using the Elevation tour segue of Bad into Streets, maybe with the 40 snippet in there too if that isn't played later on to close out the show.

7.  Where The Streets Have No Name

8.  I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

9.  With Or Without You

10.  Bullet The Blue Sky - The political, anti-Trump segment of the show.

11.  Running To Stand Still

12.  Red Hill Mining Town - Cannot wait for this one.

13.  In God's Country

14.  Trip Through Your Wires

15.  One Tree Hill

16.  Exit

17.  Mothers Of The Disappeared

And that's the end of the first act.  The band leaves the stage.

Then the first encore, with newer stuff...

18.  The first single from Songs Of Experience - I think this will happen at some point in the show.  I think it would be cool, thematically, to start the first encore with something completely fresh that even the diehards won't know.  It's sort of like you're ending the look at the past with Mothers Of The Disappeared, then back from the break you look to the future with the new song.

19.  City Of Blinding Lights

20.  Every Breaking Wave

21.  Beautiful Day

Then a very brief break, and a second encore...

22.  Vertigo

23.  Pride (In The Name Of Love) - I know this is an older song and therefore should have been in the older hits section of the show, but without Streets at the end you need one of the big anthemic monster hits at the end of the show.

24.  One

And then, if 40 isn't snippeted earlier, close out the show with that as song #25.

I think this setlist is pretty realistic, and would be a pretty great show...  Having said that, whatever they do will be great...  CAN'T WAIT!!!

First, they should take the stage to Luminous Times, (Hold on to Love).  It's rare enough to sound like something cool and new to the casual fans, while the diehards will love hearing one of their greatest b-sides.  And it fits since it's a Joshua Tree era b-side, and the lyrics "Hold on to love" fit in well with the theme of holding onto the love of this amazing album.

1.  I Will Follow.  We're looking at their past with this tour, so why not go with Album 1, Track 1 to kick off the show?

2.  Cedarwood Road - I'm sure they'll still want to play some newer stuff.  To me, Songs Of Innocence qualifies as being new, of course, but because the album is a look to the past, it sort of fits in with this older hits section too.  And I think these songs will just work better at the start of the show, as opposed to the end, imo.

4.  Sunday Bloody Sunday

5.  Raised By Wolves

6.  Bad

Then onto The Joshua Tree, using the Elevation tour segue of Bad into Streets, maybe with the 40 snippet in there too if that isn't played later on to close out the show.

7.  Where The Streets Have No Name

8.  I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

9.  With Or Without You

10.  Bullet The Blue Sky - The political, anti-Trump segment of the show.

11.  Running To Stand Still

12.  Red Hill Mining Town - Cannot wait for this one.

13.  In God's Country

14.  Trip Through Your Wires

15.  One Tree Hill

16.  Exit

17.  Mothers Of The Disappeared

And that's the end of the first act.  The band leaves the stage.

Then the first encore, with newer stuff...

18.  The first single from Songs Of Experience - I think this will happen at some point in the show.  I think it would be cool, thematically, to start the first encore with something completely fresh that even the diehards won't know.  It's sort of like you're ending the look at the past with Mothers Of The Disappeared, then back from the break you look to the future with the new song.

19.  City Of Blinding Lights

20.  Every Breaking Wave

21.  Beautiful Day

Then a very brief break, and a second encore...

22.  Vertigo

23.  Pride (In The Name Of Love) - I know this is an older song and therefore should have been in the older hits section of the show, but without Streets at the end you need one of the big anthemic monster hits at the end of the show.

24.  One

And then, if 40 isn't snippeted earlier, close out the show with that as song #25.

I think this setlist is pretty realistic, and would be a pretty great show...  Having said that, whatever they do will be great...  CAN'T WAIT!!!

Love your thinking. For me, the opening tracks on the past two albums have been average, so I'd rather give slot 18 to something else for fear of disappointment. When they do actually get around to putting out the new album - I'd love the first track to be the title track and smack me right in the face! ;)  

4.  Sunday Bloody Sunday

5.  Raised By Wolves

6.  Bad

There is no way if they are going to do Bad, that it's going to be the 6th song in. More like after JT or in encore 1 or 2.

Still, unless their vision is going to be to play all the old faves as a standard, that Bad would once again be a song only played at special nights.

Been in the fan club for decades, but first time posting, U2 community. Let's make some setlist wish lists for The Joshua Tree Tour 2017.

My first thought was that the guys perform Joshua Tree in order, but not beginning or ending the show. Rather, the entire evening would be chronological with a front-loaded build of early hits to the JT album: 

1. I Will Follow

2. Sunday Bloody Sunday

3. New Year's Day

4. Pride (In the Name of Love)

5. Bad

6. Where the Streets Have No Name

7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

8. With or Without You

9. Bullet the Blue Sky

10. Running to Stand Still

11. Red Hill Mining Town

12. In God's Country

13. Trip Through Your Wires

14. One Tree Hill

15. Exit

16. Mothers of the Disappeared

17. Sweetest Thing

18. Desire

19. All I Want is You

20. Night and Day

21. Even Better Than the Real Thing

22. One

23. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

24. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

25. Beautiful Day

26. Walk On

Encore:

27. Vertigo

28. City of Blinding Lights

29. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)

30. 40

I know it's not realistic. Just a wishlist. As always, would love to see some surprise b-sides pulled out, or even Acrobat - but probably unlikely with the entirety of TJT being played.