Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

THE JOSHUA TREE at 30. Share your JT memories / collection / adventures / dreams

I became a fan of U2 back in 1983, listening to my older sisters War album. And the first album that I could afford to buy for myself was the Joshua Tree in 1987. I really wanted to go to one of the gigs in 1987 but my parents said no, they said that I was too young then. So I'm very happy that I can finally attend a Joshua Tree gig in 2017, 30 years later.... 

Before the internet and smart phone apps, I stood on line with my sister for hours, and hours, and hours to buy tickets to see U2.  I  - this would be my first concert as an adult.  I recall encountering some people who had verbalized their desire to not want to stand next to me because I am AA.  This was offensive, but I did not let that deter me.   I snagged tickets for Madison Square Garden and the Meadowlands!!!  I still have my ticket stubs! The song that I wanted to hear the most was Exit.  This song is my favorite from The Joshua Tree.  It is so haunting, beginning so low and almost inaudible, then building up to a pulsating crescendo.  

The night of the show finally came!  This was a dream come true for me!  When my brother and I found our seats, before the show began, this guy in another section had yelled out:  "Why don't you stick to your own music...rap music," meaning that we should not have been at a rock concert.   Of course we did not pay him any attention, but it certainly was not a pleasant experience. An acquaintance of mine told me that had she experienced that, it might have discouraged her from attending the show.  I understand her sentiment, but I would not have thirty years of memories had I let small-minded comments and glares deter me.

That's terrible!  :(  Thumbs up for not letting it get to you.

Before the internet and smart phone apps, I stood on line with my sister for hours, and hours, and hours to buy tickets to see U2.  I  - this would be my first concert as an adult.  I recall encountering some people who had verbalized their desire to not want to stand next to me because I am AA.  This was offensive, but I did not let that deter me.   I snagged tickets for Madison Square Garden and the Meadowlands!!!  I still have my ticket stubs! The song that I wanted to hear the most was Exit.  This song is my favorite from The Joshua Tree.  It is so haunting, beginning so low and almost inaudible, then building up to a pulsating crescendo.  

The night of the show finally came!  This was a dream come true for me!  When my brother and I found our seats, before the show began, this guy in another section had yelled out:  "Why don't you stick to your own music...rap music," meaning that we should not have been at a rock concert.   Of course we did not pay him any attention, but it certainly was not a pleasant experience. An acquaintance of mine told me that had she experienced that, it might have discouraged her from attending the show.  I understand her sentiment, but I would not have thirty years of memories had I let small-minded comments and glares deter me.

That's terrible!  :(  Thumbs up for not letting it get to you.

That is terrible.  I hope those people have corrected their thinking now.

Bullied for loving U2 ??? Join the club ..... Thing is people are always gonna hate you for something.....

Hey everyone,

With Joshua Tree Tour 2017 less than months away, I've been listening to this awesome album more closely than I have in years.  I've been trying to re-experience it by playing it loudly on my new speakers in my car.  Trying to recapture the feelings I had when first heard this CD thirty years ago is hard.  I needed to filter out all of the noise and just hear it.  What are great album.

I wrote a blog post on remembering the album that represented the band's love affair with America.  They charged ahead with a bold, new sound and blew us all away.  

If you're so inclined, please take a look.  I'd love to hear about your experiences.  Thanks.  :)

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/let-me-in-the-sound/

AchtungNinja.com

post-312896-0-15389600-1490295018_thumb.jpg

My Joshua Tree collection:

17353294_10211260915053206_9485596427893

Looking forward to adding the vinyl box set and a couple of shows in June.

Awesome!